• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st time in a year, I have to be unarmed

kenzmad

Well it is time for the first field trip of the year for my 4th grader. I am going as a chaperone. We are headed out tomorrow for Woodland Park Zoo. As per school rules, I cannot possess any weapons. This is gonna feel weird as have not been unarmed since last year. Wish there was some consideration by the schools to their policy as they have no control over who is at the school "function" as they do on the school grounds.

kenzmad

maclean

Well it is time for the first field trip of the year for my 4th grader. I am going as a chaperone. We are headed out tomorrow for Woodland Park Zoo. As per school rules, I cannot possess any weapons. This is gonna feel weird as have not been unarmed since last year. Wish there was some consideration by the schools to their policy as they have no control over who is at the school "function" as they do on the school grounds.

kenzmad

I feel for you.

Teachers and chaperones should be able to be armed.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Of course when my girls were that age I never chaperoned on the bus or with the group. However, if I was off, I generally made myself available to be at the zoo at the same time.

kenzmad

Of course when my girls were that age I never chaperoned on the bus or with the group. However, if I was off, I generally made myself available to be at the zoo at the same time.

thats a good idea, I hadn't thought about just being "there" and willing to take a few kids around. I am going to have to think on this one. what do you think the ramifications are since I already agreed to chaperone and did the fingerprints and the disclosure form if I said "I cant meet you at the school for the bus ride but can meet you at the zoo" and was discovered to be CCing. I CC in a crossbreed holster with a g26 so the odds of me being "made" are zero.

kenzmad

kenzmad

I only mentioned CC cuz I would not think the school would let the kids go with someone OCing.

kenzmad

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
For the discussion sake, do you think this might come into play?

RCW 9.41.280 Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities — Penalty — Exceptions.
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:
(a) Any firearm;

Or do you think this would only apply to school events as sporting, graduations etc. although open to the public as well.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
thats a good idea, I hadn't thought about just being "there" and willing to take a few kids around. I am going to have to think on this one. what do you think the ramifications are since I already agreed to chaperone and did the fingerprints and the disclosure form if I said "I cant meet you at the school for the bus ride but can meet you at the zoo" and was discovered to be CCing. I CC in a crossbreed holster with a g26 so the odds of me being "made" are zero.

kenzmad

On this one I would go as the chaperone. In the future I wouldn't. When you are there and not a chaperone you will not be able to act as such or "take a few kids around". However, you can hang out with the chaperone for your kid and have lunch with your kid and take pictures of your kid.

kenzmad

For the discussion sake, do you think this might come into play?

Or do you think this would only apply to school events as sporting, graduations etc. although open to the public as well.

I don't know. what do you guys think? I am not as versed in the rcw's as alot of folks here so I would welcome any opinions.

kenzmad

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
The zoo is not being used exclusively for the school if it is open to the public that day.

We conclude that the term "used exclusively" refers to uses where the school or schools have sole possession, control, or use of an area of a facility. It is not limited by the duration of the use.

AG #1 1994

tombrewster421

I don't know. what do you guys think? I am not as versed in the rcw's as alot of folks here so I would welcome any opinions.

kenzmad

I would say that the zoo is probably not being used "exclusively" by the school like the RCW says. I'm pretty sure the zoo will be open to the general public.

Apparently GoGo and I had the same idea.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The zoo is not being used exclusively for the school if it is open to the public that day.

We conclude that the term "used exclusively" refers to uses where the school or schools have sole possession, control, or use of an area of a facility. It is not limited by the duration of the use.

AG #1 1994

Thanks for the link and now kenzmad you have a reference if ever needed.

Last edited:

kenzmad

Thanks for the link and now kenzmad you have a reference if ever needed.

so, reading the AG's clarification, I can carry at the zoo but cannot carry on the bus as itis used exclusively for scool business. I am really thinking that I should just let them know I will be at the zoo when they arrive and still be a chaperone for their field trip.

kenzmad

SpyderTattoo

The school bus is considered being on school property. Your best bet is to meet them there. Or... What's that think I keep hearing? "Concealed means concealed..."

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
so, reading the AG's clarification, I can carry at the zoo but cannot carry on the bus as itis used exclusively for scool business. I am really thinking that I should just let them know I will be at the zoo when they arrive and still be a chaperone for their field trip.

kenzmad

That seems to fit the bill, but you may want to talk to your attorney after all this is just another Joe looking up and reading the laws, nothing binding.

amlevin

The school bus is considered being on school property. Your best bet is to meet them there. Or... What's that think I keep hearing? "Concealed means concealed..."

There is also a variation of that old question "If a Tree Falls in the Forest, and Nobody's There, Does It Make a Noise"?

For firearms it goes "If you carry a firearm Concealed, and nobody see's it(or knows it's there), was it really there"?

I sure love my Kel-Tec P3AT for just that reason.

GreatWhiteLlama

kenzmad

Not sure I’d want to go to the zoo unarmed.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-01-03/news/17151487_1_lion-house-zoo-security-zoo-employees

Lante

There is also a variation of that old question "If a Tree Falls in the Forest, and Nobody's There, Does It Make a Noise"?

For firearms it goes "If you carry a firearm Concealed, and nobody see's it(or knows it's there), was it really there"?

I sure love my Kel-Tec P3AT for just that reason.

Just remember you are around kids.....who may be close contact.....hugs, grabs etc. Concealed means concealed from view.....the kids may be doing more touching than looking depending on what your kids class is like.....

Best bet from one who is in the schools regularly, and managed to get OC actually taught in one class..... go unarmed, be the model parent, help out whenever you can, however you can, and take the opportunity to sound out the teacher, and present good news articles.... say did you hear how (kid, parent, teacher, storeowner) saved _______. Good thing he was armed!. Teach the teacher, and they will teach the others....

SpyderTattoo

So how did it go? You take the bus and go unarmed, or did you meet them there?
I just realized that you're in Kent. My wife just happens to be a dispatcher for Kent school district transportation. She drove a bus for about 7 years.