• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UW Credit Union is officially Anti-OC

Motofixxer

I met with Brad Mcclain the Chief Financial Officer of UW Credit Union a while back and got a definitive answer on the board and their decision on the Open Carry Issue. Here is his reply.

Thank you for following up on our position on “open carry” firearms in our offices. As we discussed in July, we respect and value all individual’s rights under local, state and federal laws. We also do not take a formal position on the open carry law. After a lot of thought and input, it was our decision that we will not allow the unconcealed carrying of firearms in our offices. The safety of our employees and members is of the utmost importance and we feel that the sight of a firearm could likely be perceived as a threat, creating a less than ideal security situation.

I know that you will not agree with our position, but hope that you will understand it. I do want to thank you for taking the time to discuss your thoughts with me on this issue. I can say that your position was considered as we discussed the final outcome of our decision.

Best Regards,

Brad McClain, CFO
UW Credit Union
(608) 232-9000 ext. 2244
bmcclain@uwcu.org

JerryD

I met with Brad Mcclain the Chief Financial Officer of UW Credit Union a while back and got a definitive answer on the board and their decision on the Open Carry Issue. Here is his reply.

Thank you for following up on our position on “open carry” firearms in our offices. As we discussed in July, we respect and value all individual’s rights under local, state and federal laws. We also do not take a formal position on the open carry law. After a lot of thought and input, it was our decision that we will not allow the unconcealed carrying of firearms in our offices. The safety of our employees and members is of the utmost importance and we feel that the sight of a firearm could likely be perceived as a threat, creating a less than ideal security situation.

I know that you will not agree with our position, but hope that you will understand it. I do want to thank you for taking the time to discuss your thoughts with me on this issue. I can say that your position was considered as we discussed the final outcome of our decision.

Best Regards,

Brad McClain, CFO
UW Credit Union
(608) 232-9000 ext. 2244
bmcclain@uwcu.org

Looks to me like they just gave permission to carry concealed on their property.

Captain Nemo

Sent this email to UW credit union.

I read your response to a fellow Wisconsin Carry member concerning open carry of firearms in your offices. While I recognize your concern for employee safety I must say I am dissapointed in your position concerning exercise of our constitutional rights. You of course, by constitutional law, can not prevent a person's access to your offices because of race, color, religion or sex, but you do choose to discriminate the peaceful exercise of the constitutional right to personal protection. A right given us by the 2nd amendment of the U.S. constitution but more important Article I section 25 of the Wisconsin constitutional which reads "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose". The Wisconsin supreme court has ruled in a number of cases that the only lawful way a person under Wisconsin law can exercise that right is by visibly carrying the weapon, be it knife, sword, or firearm.

The paranoia of guns in modern society type casts anyone carrying a firearm as a person of questionable character. May I remind you that people carrying a visible firearm are law abiding and peaceful citizens that do so only to provide for their own personal protection. Persons bent on mayhem and crime keep their weapons concealed until the last possible moment. They are keenly aware that a felon in possession of a firearm is subject to severe enhancement penalty if convicted of a crime.They are not about to walk around with an exposed and advertised firearm. The mere possession of a firearm by a felon is a crime whether an additional crime has been comitted or not.

Also in regards to constitutional rights. Constitutional rights come as a package. In combination they represent what our country is about, but they must be accepted as a package in order to support an effective democracy. Just as with us I am sure your office has some constitutional rights it holds dear. We must remind ourselves that we can not pick and choose those we want to respect and those we want to ignore. I repeat that I am dissapointed that your office chooses to do just that.

regards,

IcrewUH60

I was in one UWCU branch a few Saturdays ago around 11 am with my wife to pick up a cashier's check (for my new AR-15 :lol:). On the way in, I noticed the sign on the door and said to the lady helping us "I see you guys have a sign on the door that reads No Weapons, so you guys don't get robbed, then huh?". She looked at me strangely and replied, "Oh no we do, it has already happened here".

me: "that's odd... you have a no weapons policy, so how exactly do you get robbed". This is when her senior co-worker chimed in and said "If you walk in here with a gun, how do we know that your not going to rob us?"

me: if it stays on my hip why would you think I am going to rob you?
her: well we just don't know.
me: how many robbers come in here with the gun in plain veiw?
her: well, none of them.
me: right. so the policy is just to keep me from being armed, but not the would-be robbers?
her: again, we don't know if you are going to rob the place.
me: righhhhht. (at this point, I see the circle of ill-logic going round and round, so I change course)
me: so basically, you are taking away my right to self defense in the event a gunman does come in here to do bad things, right?
her: no not at all, we are protecting you and our employees. We don't want a shoot out in here during a robbery.
me: i understand. I'm sure that's the last thing anyone would want....ever.
her: yeah, the last thing we want is for someone to go all "superhero" and get the place the shot up. We want the robber to take what he wants and leave immediately.
me: so your company's policy is to leave that choice entirely up to the bad guy, who's going to walk in here with a gun anyway?:banghead:
her: it's a corporate policy and it's to keep our employees and members safe.
me: i'd actually be safer if I was allowed to carry my gun.
her: well you can't in here and I dont know any bank that allows it.
me: there are some.
her: not that I know of.
me: i've read there are a small few in Wisconsin that allow open carry.
her: well I don't know of any.
me: but there are.

She was very cordial and polite, but honeslty beleived that the corporate policy was going to protect everyone. The original lady I was speaking with and another male employee listening in nodded their heads in agreement with me many times. My wife was not amused.

protias

I got a good laugh at her lack of logic, but at the same time, I gave a big /facepalm. Here's a hint, Landmark Credit Union does not hinder our right to carry. ;)

jeff niles

Blackhawk credit union

All Blackhawk credit union are NO open carry, cell phones ,sun glasses ,or hats ,or huddies, what the hell else?

protias

Citizens State Bank

Does not allow carry. They were robbed a few months ago. The robbers came in with ... guns... despite a no gun policy.
You mean it doesn't work like this?! :shocker:

[video=youtube;S7pGt_O1uM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8[/video]

frank hu

M&I Bank-Madison, Monona

I was in one UWCU branch a few Saturdays ago around 11 am with my wife to pick up a cashier's check (for my new AR-15 :lol:). On the way in, I noticed the sign on the door and said to the lady helping us "I see you guys have a sign on the door that reads No Weapons, so you guys don't get robbed, then huh?". She looked at me strangely and replied, "Oh no we do, it has already happened here".

me: "that's odd... you have a no weapons policy, so how exactly do you get robbed". This is when her senior co-worker chimed in and said "If you walk in here with a gun, how do we know that your not going to rob us?"

me: if it stays on my hip why would you think I am going to rob you?
her: well we just don't know.
me: how many robbers come in here with the gun in plain veiw?
her: well, none of them.
me: right. so the policy is just to keep me from being armed, but not the would-be robbers?
her: again, we don't know if you are going to rob the place.
me: righhhhht. (at this point, I see the circle of ill-logic going round and round, so I change course)
me: so basically, you are taking away my right to self defense in the event a gunman does come in here to do bad things, right?
her: no not at all, we are protecting you and our employees. We don't want a shoot out in here during a robbery.
me: i understand. I'm sure that's the last thing anyone would want....ever.
her: yeah, the last thing we want is for someone to go all "superhero" and get the place the shot up. We want the robber to take what he wants and leave immediately.
me: so your company's policy is to leave that choice entirely up to the bad guy, who's going to walk in here with a gun anyway?:banghead:
her: it's a corporate policy and it's to keep our employees and members safe.
me: i'd actually be safer if I was allowed to carry my gun.
her: well you can't in here and I dont know any bank that allows it.
me: there are some.
her: not that I know of.
me: i've read there are a small few in Wisconsin that allow open carry.
her: well I don't know of any.
me: but there are.

She was very cordial and polite, but honeslty beleived that the corporate policy was going to protect everyone. The original lady I was speaking with and another male employee listening in nodded their heads in agreement with me many times. My wife was not amused.

M&I Banks have a "no hats, hoods, or sunglasses" sign on their doors, but do mention firearms. I will inquire about that omission when I visit the bank tomorrow.

comp45acp

M&I Banks have a "no hats, hoods, or sunglasses" sign on their doors, but do mention firearms. I will inquire about that omission when I visit the bank tomorrow.

Please don't ask!! To ask is to invite a NO answer. Just carry there. If they ask to leave, leave.