• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Trip

john-in-reno

Hey, Im heading to Forks to see my daughter, and read the pamphlet about open carry up there in Wa, I do not have a CCW so will NOT be able to carry a weapon loaded in the car like I do here, so let me get this straight, I get into the car, unload in the car, get to where I need to go, then reload, then exit the car correct?

Other than that it looks like everything is the same as here in Nevada, If I have this wrong please correct me

SpyderTattoo

Actually, if you get into the car while the gun is loaded, you are in violation. You must unload before you enter the vehicle, then when you're getting out of the vehilce you must exit then reload the weapon.

SpyderTattoo

That is very ambiguous and the RCW's need clairification in this instance. If you unholster your weapon and unload it outside the vehicle, I'd think that would be enough to warrant alarm.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
If you have a concealed license/permit from another state go visit the Sheriffs Office over in Silverdale (depending on which route you take you will have to drive right by it). They have been known to give non-residents their license before leaving the office, other wise it can take up to 60 days. $55.25 good for 5 years.

john-in-reno

Thats just Weird, So I just un-holster a loaded weapon in front of everybody, Unload, Get into the car and drive to where I need to go, get out, Load it back up then re-holster it! :eek:

Yep that seams safe to me!!!!

I might have to buy some ducktape after all.

devildoc5

Thats just Weird, So I just un-holster a loaded weapon in front of everybody, Unload, Get into the car and drive to where I need to go, get out, Load it back up then re-holster it! :eek:

Yep that seams safe to me!!!!

I might have to buy some ducktape after all.

This is but one of those MANY instances where the law is not clearly defined.

It states that inside a vehicle possesion of a weapon is concelaed, and without a CPL that is illegal, however it also states somethign to the affect of "in a manner, at a time and place that warrants alarm for the safety of others." Which one trumps which? I PERSONALLY get inside the vehicle and unload underneath my dash where no one else can see. IANAL but this seems the MOST LOGICAL situation to me. I just make sure that I do NOT buckle the seat belt or place the keys in the ignition prior to unloading.

1245A Defender

this!

Yes.

However, the prefered method to carry unloaded in a vehicle is to have it duct taped to your forehead. YMMV

001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

john-in-reno

That's probably what I will do, is get in unload, belt up then start-up the car, I will be getting the CCW for both Nevada and Utah, the problem will be solved.

.45ACPaddy

RCW 9.41.050

Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

RCW 9.41.270

Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

I don't see anything in there that defines the pistol as concealed if it's in your car. It just says you can't carry a pistol concealed on your person without a CPL, and you can't place or carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle unless you have a CPL, plus one of the following three conditions:

(i) The pistol is on the licensee's person
(ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there

or

(iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

The two clauses of concealed and placing or carrying in a vehicle are separate. You can open carry in your car, just not loaded.

What I used to do was keep a full magazine in my gun and pop it out before getting in my vehicle without unholstering. Once I got out, I'd pop it back in.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Don't forget the exemption in RCW 9.41.060 allows you to carry a loaded firearm concealed and loaded in a vehicle.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Put a tent or backpack in the back, a few sleeping bags and have a camping or hiking area in mind .

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Don't forget the exemption in RCW 9.41.060 allows you to carry a loaded firearm concealed and loaded in a vehicle.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Put a tent or backpack in the back, a few sleeping bags and have a camping or hiking area in mind .

+1

john-in-reno

It's going to be extremely wet & cold this time of the year (esp for you desert folks) in Forks.

I was in to Coast Guard in Port Angeles, The Small Boat station in La Push, Astoria Or, and also In Seattle! 7 1/2 years total.

I am so tired of living in the Desert! :banghead:

As soon as my SSDI get approved, the wife and I are moving back to the Pacific North West, We LOVE the weather there