Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a CC permit

Getting a CC permit

I'm wondering if there is a place or even some body that is on the east half(ish) part of the state that could help me with getting a out-o'-state concealed permit?. The deal is, when I started carrying, I spread the word to a friend who lives in ohio seeing as how it's an open carry state too, and now him and his wife are getting, if not already gotten, their conceal permits.

Problem is, open carry while legal, is kinda, as he puts it..... "unfashionable" in ohio. So, to avoid hassles he's gotten permitted and all is good.

But for me, I'd have to OC and hope to avoid being stuck in another state with legal problems. So my friend suggested I get a non-resident permit that ohio will accept (ohio dosen't do non-res), such as N.Dakota. Doing the math on that comes to 400+ bucks for travel, lodging, food, permit fees and an entire weekend driving. So I'm thinking I'd rather pay somebody/place to do the paperwork, making it cheaper and quicker and then I can CC when I'm at his place.

I'm rather make a day trip out of this, as opposed to running around a different state looking for someone to help me.

well

look into a non resident UTAH or FLORIDA permit.
    training often is sponsered by cabelas, and lasts about 5 hours.
    then send in the paperwork and a check, my UTAH cost 137 total
    utah or florida cost about the same, and cover roughly the same states, about 31.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Thumbs up I got my Utah CCW from Michael Bender

Here is a list of a bunch in Wisconsin including Mr. Bender:

http://wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/training.html

I can only speak for the class I took and he and his wife were very professional and everything was taken care of in class including the photo for the license. Once we finished the class we even mailed it the same day. He does have actual range time so you do get to shoot your weapon and be evaluated.

I believe Ohio does have reciprocity with Utah and another 30 or so states also have reciprocity with Utah non residents.

Carry On!

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I believe Ohio does have reciprocity with Utah and another 30 or so states also have reciprocity with Utah non residents.
    Yes, OH accepts UT non-res.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    Pennsylvania Non-Res. license is cheap and easy to get. covers a number of states.......except for wisconsin and illinois, i don't know why?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    Pennsylvania Non-Res. license is cheap and easy to get. covers a number of states.......except for wisconsin and illinois, i don't know why?

LOL! Hey, neither do I! Hey, I just noticed that Illinois (Land Of No Freedom) and Wisconsin (Land of 1,000,000 anti gun laws) don't honor my CCW from Utah!

In the words of a famous man here, "Permits, we don't need any stinking permits."

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    Permits, we don't need any stinking permits."

thusly spoken.

and

Iowa doesnt honor other permits either, BUT
    jan 1,2011 a new law takes effect,
    they become shall issue, AND
    they will honor a valid carry permit from ANY state!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Iowa doesnt honor other permits either, BUT
    jan 1,2011 a new law takes effect,
    they become shall issue, AND
    they will honor a valid carry permit from ANY state!!!
    Cite please
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Cite please
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a place or even some body that is on the east half(ish) part of the state that could help me with getting a out-o'-state concealed permit?. The deal is, when I started carrying, I spread the word to a friend who lives in ohio seeing as how it's an open carry state too, and now him and his wife are getting, if not already gotten, their conceal permits.

Problem is, open carry while legal, is kinda, as he puts it..... "unfashionable" in ohio. So, to avoid hassles he's gotten permitted and all is good.

But for me, I'd have to OC and hope to avoid being stuck in another state with legal problems. So my friend suggested I get a non-resident permit that ohio will accept (ohio dosen't do non-res), such as N.Dakota. Doing the math on that comes to 400+ bucks for travel, lodging, food, permit fees and an entire weekend driving. So I'm thinking I'd rather pay somebody/place to do the paperwork, making it cheaper and quicker and then I can CC when I'm at his place.

I'm rather make a day trip out of this, as opposed to running around a different state looking for someone to help me.
    Florida is $75 for permit + $42 for finger prints. No training if you have a DD-214(Honorable Discharge),Active Duty Military or Hunter training certificate .they also have other prooof of traing you can use,to many to mention,check their web site
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

McX
    Damn shame the money we pay to be free.

look into a non resident UTAH or FLORIDA permit.
    training often is sponsered by cabelas, and lasts about 5 hours.
    then send in the paperwork and a check, my UTAH cost 137 total
    utah or florida cost about the same, and cover roughly the same states, about 31.
    AZ is also an option...$60 initial permit. Same training reqs and almost same recip as FL.

OH does not honor PA.

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    LOL! Hey, neither do I! Hey, I just noticed that Illinois (Land Of No Freedom) and Wisconsin (Land of 1,000,000 anti gun laws) don't honor my CCW from Utah!
    IL and WI dont honor ANY state's permit.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Cite please
    SF2379 724.11A

NEW SECTION. 724.11A Recognition.
    A valid permit or license issued by another state to any
    nonresident of this state shall be considered to be a valid
    permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this
    chapter, except that such permit or license shall not be
    considered to be a substitute for an annual permit to acquire
    pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.

IL, WI, VT, AZ, AK do not honor any permits.

Damn shame the money we pay to be free.
    I don't think anyone should have to pay for a right..... It's already been paid for.

Just wait for the national permit....Oh yeah, we have one already in the 2nd Amendment.

thanks for all info. didn't mean to get everybody riled with the "P" word (Permits?!....Auggghh!), But seriously, with all suggestions I should be able to be ready to rock on this toting around ohio thing before I go there in the spring.

BTW, did I read this right...

except that such permit or license shall not be

A permit is needed to buy a hand gun?..... sounds a little odd. does any state actually do that?. or did miss something?

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    thanks for all info. didn't mean to get everybody riled with the "P" word (Permits?!....Auggghh!), But seriously, with all suggestions I should be able to be ready to rock on this toting around ohio thing before I go there in the spring.

BTW, did I read this right...

except that such permit or license shall not be

A permit is needed to buy a hand gun?..... sounds a little odd. does any state actually do that?. or did miss something?
    Yep, IL and NY are just two that I know of that require a permit just to PURCHASE a handgun.

also

michigan also requires a free, permit to purchase form, each time you buy a pistol,
    unless you have a CPL

Exclamation Nebraska Also Requires A "Permit" To Purchase A Handgun

michigan also requires a free, permit to purchase form, each time you buy a pistol,
    unless you have a CPL
    From the Nebraska State Police Website: http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/Concealed_FAQ.aspx

A handgun purchase permit is required by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 69-2403 for purchases of handguns in Nebraska. In 2010 the Legislature passed a law which exempts concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers from this requirement. A point-of-purchase check of the national instant criminal background check system (known as NICS) must be completed by the seller despite the exemption from the permit requirement because the purchase permit has been accepted by the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) authorities in lieu of the point-of-purchase check. ATF may eventually recognize the concealed handgun permit in lieu of the point-of-purchase check because both permits require a NICS check. Even though some of the requirements are similar, each permit is independent and all of the requirements for each type of permit must be satisfied independently. Fingerprints, photographs, or a record check completed for one permit may not be used to satisfy the requirements for the other permit. Permits to purchase handguns are obtained from the Chief of Police or Sheriff. The permit to carry a concealed handgun is obtained from the Nebraska State Patrol.

[QUOTE=protias;1387699]IL, WI, VT, AZ, AK do not honor any permits.

IL and WI are "right denied" States. AZ, AK, and VT are constitutional carry States. A permit is not required for concealed carry by residents or non-residents. AZ and AK still issue permits to residents to "cover" them out of State.

When I lived in WI, my CFP was Utah because you do not have to do training out of State. The Utah BCI website has a list of all Utah Instructors who reside in Wisconsin including their phone numbers, email, or website if provided. The course is about 4 - 5 hours depending on questions from the class. The permit application, fee, fingerprint card, and photo ($8 for Passport photos at Walgreen's) are mailed in and Utah mails the permit back. UT does not require a proficiency qualification, but does require that students demonstrate how to safely load and unload a handgun. Revolvers and semi-auto handgun loading must be separate to receive a revolver and semi-auto endorsement on the permit.

FL requires proof of "training", but is generous. A DD-214 with pistol qualification will do. So will a Hunter Safety Course and/or the NRA Pistol Course.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Yep, IL and NY are just two that I know of that require a permit just to PURCHASE a handgun.
    NJ charges $2 for a pistol purchase permit....said permit is only good for 90 days.

Any Wisconsin concealed carry law should provide for the automatic issuance of a Wisconsin permit to a Wisconsin resident holding a concealed carry permit from another state. This would counter the Colorado, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire and South Carolina "must be a resident of the issuing state" bs.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Any Wisconsin concealed carry law should provide for the automatic issuance of a Wisconsin permit to a Wisconsin resident holding a concealed carry permit from another state. This would counter the Colorado, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire and South Carolina "must be a resident of the issuing state" bs.
    No it shouldn't. If we allow the legislature to put the bureaucracy in to issue permits even if they are purely for reciprocity, then they will find some way to make them mandatory.

Let the other states clean up their own laws.

MN requires a permit to purchase EXCEPT in cases where the buyer has a permit to carry.
    - Knowledge is power and there IS strength in numbers -

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast