• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a CC permit

jpm84092

IL, WI, VT, AZ, AK do not honor any permits. ;)

IL and WI are "right denied" States. AZ, AK, and VT are constitutional carry States. A permit is not required for concealed carry by residents or non-residents. AZ and AK still issue permits to residents to "cover" them out of State.

When I lived in WI, my CFP was Utah because you do not have to do training out of State. The Utah BCI website has a list of all Utah Instructors who reside in Wisconsin including their phone numbers, email, or website if provided. The course is about 4 - 5 hours depending on questions from the class. The permit application, fee, fingerprint card, and photo ($8 for Passport photos at Walgreen's) are mailed in and Utah mails the permit back. UT does not require a proficiency qualification, but does require that students demonstrate how to safely load and unload a handgun. Revolvers and semi-auto handgun loading must be separate to receive a revolver and semi-auto endorsement on the permit.

FL requires proof of "training", but is generous. A DD-214 with pistol qualification will do. So will a Hunter Safety Course and/or the NRA Pistol Course.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Any Wisconsin concealed carry law should provide for the automatic issuance of a Wisconsin permit to a Wisconsin resident holding a concealed carry permit from another state. This would counter the Colorado, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire and South Carolina "must be a resident of the issuing state" bs.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Any Wisconsin concealed carry law should provide for the automatic issuance of a Wisconsin permit to a Wisconsin resident holding a concealed carry permit from another state. This would counter the Colorado, Michigan, Florida, New Hampshire and South Carolina "must be a resident of the issuing state" bs.

No it shouldn't. If we allow the legislature to put the bureaucracy in to issue permits even if they are purely for reciprocity, then they will find some way to make them mandatory.

Let the other states clean up their own laws.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
No it shouldn't. If we allow the legislature to put the bureaucracy in to issue permits even if they are purely for reciprocity, then they will find some way to make them mandatory.

Let the other states clean up their own laws.

Which would be fine if you stayed only in Wis, didn't want to travel to a "resident of issuing state only" state such as Michigan or Colorado, or could spend time and money getting a non-resident permit that would allow you to carry in the issuing state such as Florida. To say nothing of the Vermont situation where each state would have to give Wisconsin residents special dispensation to carry within them. Chose Vermont as the home state on this link to see how this could affect Wisconsin residents unless a permit for reciprocity purposes is provided.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

By requiring a Wisconsin resident reciprocity permit be issued to a Wisconsin resident holding a non-resident permit issued by ANY state it would remove the Wisconsin bureaucrats from creating onerous requirements. After all, it's a permit to enable out of state carry for state residents. For carry within the state, very simple: no permit.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Which would be fine if you stayed only in Wis, didn't want to travel to a "resident of issuing state only" state such as Michigan or Colorado, or could spend time and money getting a non-resident permit that would allow you to carry in the issuing state such as Florida. To say nothing of the Vermont situation where each state would have to give Wisconsin residents special dispensation to carry within them. Chose Vermont as the home state on this link to see how this could affect Wisconsin residents unless a permit for reciprocity purposes is provided.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

By requiring a Wisconsin resident reciprocity permit be issued to a Wisconsin resident holding a non-resident permit issued by ANY state it would remove the Wisconsin bureaucrats from creating onerous requirements. After all, it's a permit to enable out of state carry for state residents. For carry within the state, very simple: no permit.

That map is wrong. It shows AK and AZ denying the right.

I understand what you are saying, however, assuming that we can get the WI legislature to issue a permit without requiring it is a big assumption. I will give up reciprocity in a heartbeat for no permit. If I want reciprocity, I will get a UT out of state and then, as I said, MI, SC and FL would have to fall into line and either allow no permit or recognize out of state permits.

mrjam2jab

I clicked on VT which meant I was a resident of VT. All the other states except for FL, ID, VT and WY turn red.

Got ya...i was looking at it "pre selected" state. Technically, red isn't "denied" just not honoring VT....but yeah you're point is right the map is wrong. Bottom says was last updated October 2010...wonder what change that was??

zhangman

Permits, etc

All I can say is right now I am delighted that I became a resident of Georgia over five years ago. I have a Georgia Firearms License and although it is not needed to purchase a weapon, it does enhance the transaction and avoids a lot of paperwork.

protias

All I can say is right now I am delighted that I became a resident of Georgia over five years ago. I have a Georgia Firearms License and although it is not needed to purchase a weapon, it does enhance the transaction and avoids a lot of paperwork.
But why should we have to wait or fill out more paper work? Is that not an infringement upon our rights?

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
Here is a list of a bunch in Wisconsin including Mr. Bender:

http://wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/training.html

I can only speak for the class I took and he and his wife were very professional and everything was taken care of in class including the photo for the license. Once we finished the class we even mailed it the same day. He does have actual range time so you do get to shoot your weapon and be evaluated.

I believe Ohio does have reciprocity with Utah and another 30 or so states also have reciprocity with Utah non residents.

Carry On!
I have also taken the UT CC class with Mr. Bender (PPA), I'd recommend the class to others. I have taken other pistol classes of theirs as well and I've been happy with them...

WIG19

Just a reminder for those not taking the "all or nothing" approach. PA continues to require a home-state permit for one of their non-resident permits, EXCEPT for states which they recognize as having no provision for permit issuance (e.g., IL, WI). However, there was a law passed just awhile ago in PA to remove the provision for doing the whole thing by mail and, as handgun.law states in plain English: "Starting at the beginning of 2011 or shortly thereafter PA will require anyone who applies for a permit/license must appear in person to apply. There will be no more Permit/Licenses issued by mail."

Whether other states would continue to recognize Constitutional Carry in the same way is not known. So if you would like an inexpensive permit for whatever reason while WI embarks on whatever, go for it now. The Centre Co Sheriff is a good guy and will get you squared away while he's legally able to. Turnaround's usually pretty quick.

Just advisory in nature. Here's a link to get started with PA:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Cobra469

I just got my FL permit last weekend. $10 hunter safety course and their normal application fee. Think West Allis PD charged me a couple bucks for fingerprinting as well. I figured FL has less training requirements so is easier for me to obtain right now with my limited time. I can concentrate on other permits as time progresses and work slows down. Besides I think my total cost for the FL permit was pretty cheap compared to all the other costs I factored into getting a UT permit.