• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a CC permit

Deek

I'm wondering if there is a place or even some body that is on the east half(ish) part of the state that could help me with getting a out-o'-state concealed permit?. The deal is, when I started carrying, I spread the word to a friend who lives in ohio seeing as how it's an open carry state too, and now him and his wife are getting, if not already gotten, their conceal permits.

Problem is, open carry while legal, is kinda, as he puts it..... "unfashionable" in ohio. So, to avoid hassles he's gotten permitted and all is good.

But for me, I'd have to OC and hope to avoid being stuck in another state with legal problems. So my friend suggested I get a non-resident permit that ohio will accept (ohio dosen't do non-res), such as N.Dakota. Doing the math on that comes to 400+ bucks for travel, lodging, food, permit fees and an entire weekend driving. So I'm thinking I'd rather pay somebody/place to do the paperwork, making it cheaper and quicker and then I can CC when I'm at his place.

I'm rather make a day trip out of this, as opposed to running around a different state looking for someone to help me.

1245A Defender

well

look into a non resident UTAH or FLORIDA permit.
training often is sponsered by cabelas, and lasts about 5 hours.
then send in the paperwork and a check, my UTAH cost 137 total
utah or florida cost about the same, and cover roughly the same states, about 31.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I got my Utah CCW from Michael Bender

Here is a list of a bunch in Wisconsin including Mr. Bender:

http://wisconsinconcealedcarry.com/training.html

I can only speak for the class I took and he and his wife were very professional and everything was taken care of in class including the photo for the license. Once we finished the class we even mailed it the same day. He does have actual range time so you do get to shoot your weapon and be evaluated.

I believe Ohio does have reciprocity with Utah and another 30 or so states also have reciprocity with Utah non residents.

Carry On!

M

McX

Pennsylvania Non-Res. license is cheap and easy to get. covers a number of states.......except for wisconsin and illinois, i don't know why?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Pennsylvania Non-Res. license is cheap and easy to get. covers a number of states.......except for wisconsin and illinois, i don't know why?

LOL! Hey, neither do I! Hey, I just noticed that Illinois (Land Of No Freedom) and Wisconsin (Land of 1,000,000 anti gun laws) don't honor my CCW from Utah!

protias

In the words of a famous man here, "Permits, we don't need any stinking permits."

littlewolf

I'm wondering if there is a place or even some body that is on the east half(ish) part of the state that could help me with getting a out-o'-state concealed permit?. The deal is, when I started carrying, I spread the word to a friend who lives in ohio seeing as how it's an open carry state too, and now him and his wife are getting, if not already gotten, their conceal permits.

Problem is, open carry while legal, is kinda, as he puts it..... "unfashionable" in ohio. So, to avoid hassles he's gotten permitted and all is good.

But for me, I'd have to OC and hope to avoid being stuck in another state with legal problems. So my friend suggested I get a non-resident permit that ohio will accept (ohio dosen't do non-res), such as N.Dakota. Doing the math on that comes to 400+ bucks for travel, lodging, food, permit fees and an entire weekend driving. So I'm thinking I'd rather pay somebody/place to do the paperwork, making it cheaper and quicker and then I can CC when I'm at his place.

I'm rather make a day trip out of this, as opposed to running around a different state looking for someone to help me.

Florida is $75 for permit + $42 for finger prints. No training if you have a DD-214(Honorable Discharge),Active Duty Military or Hunter training certificate .they also have other prooof of traing you can use,to many to mention,check their web site

mrjam2jab

look into a non resident UTAH or FLORIDA permit.
training often is sponsered by cabelas, and lasts about 5 hours.
then send in the paperwork and a check, my UTAH cost 137 total
utah or florida cost about the same, and cover roughly the same states, about 31.

AZ is also an option...$60 initial permit. Same training reqs and almost same recip as FL.

OH does not honor PA.

LOL! Hey, neither do I! Hey, I just noticed that Illinois (Land Of No Freedom) and Wisconsin (Land of 1,000,000 anti gun laws) don't honor my CCW from Utah!

IL and WI dont honor ANY state's permit.

Cite please

SF2379 724.11A

NEW SECTION. 724.11A Recognition.
A valid permit or license issued by another state to any
nonresident of this state shall be considered to be a valid
permit or license to carry weapons issued pursuant to this
chapter, except that such permit or license shall not be
considered to be a substitute for an annual permit to acquire
pistols or revolvers issued pursuant to section 724.15.

Deek

thanks for all info. didn't mean to get everybody riled with the "P" word (Permits?!....Auggghh!), But seriously, with all suggestions I should be able to be ready to rock on this toting around ohio thing before I go there in the spring.

BTW, did I read this right...

except that such permit or license shall not be

A permit is needed to buy a hand gun?..... sounds a little odd. does any state actually do that?. or did miss something?

paul@paul-fisher.com

thanks for all info. didn't mean to get everybody riled with the "P" word (Permits?!....Auggghh!), But seriously, with all suggestions I should be able to be ready to rock on this toting around ohio thing before I go there in the spring.

BTW, did I read this right...

except that such permit or license shall not be

A permit is needed to buy a hand gun?..... sounds a little odd. does any state actually do that?. or did miss something?

Yep, IL and NY are just two that I know of that require a permit just to PURCHASE a handgun.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Nebraska Also Requires A "Permit" To Purchase A Handgun

michigan also requires a free, permit to purchase form, each time you buy a pistol,
unless you have a CPL

From the Nebraska State Police Website: http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/Concealed_FAQ.aspx

A handgun purchase permit is required by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 69-2403 for purchases of handguns in Nebraska. In 2010 the Legislature passed a law which exempts concealed handgun permit holders and law enforcement officers from this requirement. A point-of-purchase check of the national instant criminal background check system (known as NICS) must be completed by the seller despite the exemption from the permit requirement because the purchase permit has been accepted by the federal Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) authorities in lieu of the point-of-purchase check. ATF may eventually recognize the concealed handgun permit in lieu of the point-of-purchase check because both permits require a NICS check. Even though some of the requirements are similar, each permit is independent and all of the requirements for each type of permit must be satisfied independently. Fingerprints, photographs, or a record check completed for one permit may not be used to satisfy the requirements for the other permit. Permits to purchase handguns are obtained from the Chief of Police or Sheriff. The permit to carry a concealed handgun is obtained from the Nebraska State Patrol.