Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: City Council Meeting

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905

    City Council Meeting

    So Monday 01NOV2010 is the next city council meeting. I haven't seen the agenda posted yet. Does anyone know if Skolnik's proposed weapons ban is on the agenda for this meeting or is it going to be held over until 15NOV2010?

  2. #2
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463
    havnt heard.

    xd-over

  3. #3
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    So Monday 01NOV2010 is the next city council meeting. I haven't seen the agenda posted yet. Does anyone know if Skolnik's proposed weapons ban is on the agenda for this meeting or is it going to be held over until 15NOV2010?
    just tried to find the agenda, cant find it either. are they trying to pull a fast one?

    xd-over

  4. #4
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by crdonov View Post
    just tried to find the agenda, cant find it either. are they trying to pull a fast one?

    xd-over
    I've noticed from the last two city council meetings that the agenda is not posted until AFTER the council convenes.

    While it would be easy to say it's a deliberate thing, I find that in general it is far more probable to blame such things on incompetence rather than malice.

    In short, I'll make a few phone calls and find out. If the Monday meeting relates to the proposed weapons ban, my weekend is ******.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    Portland agendas typically aren't released until the Friday before a scheduled council meeting.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  6. #6
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273

    New Agenda is up, gun ban is on it

    http://www.portlandmaine.gov/eveningagenda.htm

    Currently they're scheduled to hear to gun ban measure. There is a request to postpone it until the 15th. Can't assume that will happen though.

    Will make notifications.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    http://www.portlandmaine.gov/eveningagenda.htm

    Currently they're scheduled to hear to gun ban measure. There is a request to postpone it until the 15th. Can't assume that will happen though.

    Will make notifications.
    I had a feeling they were going to try and sneak it in. Glad we caught it.

  8. #8
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    I had a feeling they were going to try and sneak it in. Glad we caught it.
    Yeah. As usual, MOCA was left off the distribution list. Can't help but feel that's a deliberate snub.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lyman, Maine
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    Yeah. As usual, MOCA was left off the distribution list. Can't help but feel that's a deliberate snub.
    I was talking to my dad about that actually. He thought there was a law that required them to notify interested parties about meetings like that, and considering they notified the Portland PD and the NRA, but left off MOCA (the foremost active gun rights group in Maine) they may have violated some sort of law. I want to spend some time looking into that, but haven't had a chance yet. I'm not sure if there's any law about notification when a city council is preparing legislation.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    resolve 3-10/11 resolution supporting legislation prohibiting guns in publicly
    (tab 10) owned or controlled buildings or facilities that host large public gatherings sponsored by the public safety committee, councilor daniel s. Skolnik, chair.

    On october 12th, the public safety committee voted 2-0 to send a resolution to the council supporting the creation of state legislation that would prohibit firearms in certain publicly owed facilities where mass gatherings occur.

    Staff is requesting that this item be postponed to the november 15th council meeting
    the latest
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  11. #11
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463

    news letter

    well fellas, cant make it on monday. wish i cuold be there! good luck keep me informed!

  12. #12
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    http://www.portlandmaine.gov/eveningagenda.htm

    Currently they're scheduled to hear to gun ban measure. There is a request to postpone it until the 15th. Can't assume that will happen though.

    Will make notifications.
    You should be out in force to speak to the issue....if you have anyone that has a direct link to any of the council members, you should contact them for a private meeting immediately!

    A motion to pass a resolution can be done at the meeting by a "call the question" under Roberts rules of order, and with the political cover of the subcommittee "do pass" recommendation....discussion is limited and public discussion may be limited by the chair,they could float it......I suggest that a ton of folks make a point to be here at this meeting, and notify the chair that you would like to take use of the public comment period to make a statement....and then line up.....and plan on doing it again at the next one.....if you don't, this will likely pass.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

  13. #13
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    You should be out in force to speak to the issue....if you have anyone that has a direct link to any of the council members, you should contact them for a private meeting immediately!

    A motion to pass a resolution can be done at the meeting by a "call the question" under Roberts rules of order, and with the political cover of the subcommittee "do pass" recommendation....discussion is limited and public discussion may be limited by the chair,they could float it......I suggest that a ton of folks make a point to be here at this meeting, and notify the chair that you would like to take use of the public comment period to make a statement....and then line up.....and plan on doing it again at the next one.....if you don't, this will likely pass.
    I definitely second the notion that maximal attendance is strongly encouraged. Those of you on the mailing list already know my position on the matter.

    I really can't overstress the importance of being there and making our voices heard.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    The staff is seriously considering our arguments set forth and may very well put the kibosh on this insanity.

    What keeps coming back from all those concerned:
    Compare this effort to a drivers license where every community had different rules and regulations. Such regulations would create chaos and mounting legal battles.
    More at 11~
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  15. #15
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    The staff is seriously considering our arguments set forth and may very well put the kibosh on this insanity.

    What keeps coming back from all those concerned:

    More at 11~
    They also seriously considered an exemption for CFP holders and went right along with their original agenda. And the way this is proposed, it would not be a local ordinance in Portland but a modification to state law. Until I watch the council vote it down I'm not assuming anything.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    Forest, the City Council Staff had not seen this until 10/21. They had not taken a position.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  17. #17
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    Forest, the City Council Staff had not seen this until 10/21. They had not taken a position.
    I know, but you were given false assurance that CC would prevail with Skolnik and Coyne, which did not turn out to be the case. I'm more trustful of the council as a whole, but not those two.

    Out of curiosity, did they send you any notification that this would be on the table at tonight's meeting?
    Last edited by ep0k; 11-01-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: names
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    They are recommending against it for the reasons stated above. I may know more after 1PM.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  19. #19
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463

    council meetimg

    well good luck, i am unable to make the meeting. pretty sure ill se it on the news. wish i could be there.

    xd-over

  20. #20
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463

    council meeting

    is there a link where i can watch tonights meeting? i know s. portland has one. would love to watch it! if anyone knows let me know. thanks

    xd-over

  21. #21
    Regular Member ep0k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wiscasset, Maine, USA
    Posts
    273
    City council tabled the issue until the meeting on the 15th. Nice of them to make us all aware of this after the meeting started, like I don't have better ******* things to do on a Monday night.

    Didn't see Skolnik. Coyne was on his way in the door as myself and Shane were leaving. Was also quite aware of the three uniformed LEOs standing by the door who left about five minutes after we did.

    Did not see any other OC / MOCA / NRA in attendance.
    v/r
    Forrest Brown
    Webmaster, Maine Open Carry Association
    forrest@maineopencarry.org

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    Skolnik may very well be voted out today as he is running for the at large seat in Portland after announcing he wouldn't run for office in his district.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

  23. #23
    Regular Member crdonov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south portland, Maine, USA
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by ep0k View Post
    City council tabled the issue until the meeting on the 15th. Nice of them to make us all aware of this after the meeting started, like I don't have better ******* things to do on a Monday night.

    Didn't see Skolnik. Coyne was on his way in the door as myself and Shane were leaving. Was also quite aware of the three uniformed LEOs standing by the door who left about five minutes after we did.

    Did not see any other OC / MOCA / NRA in attendance.
    pretty rude of them to let you guys know on what they where planning! call that a lack of respect. the undercovers, apparently were only there because you guys were there.

    xd-over

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Harrison
    Posts
    463
    City charter requires the council to vote on tabling an issue in open session. Staff can only make recommendations.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    #63731855
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

    www.mainecwptraining.com

    (207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •