• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City Council Meeting

boyscout399

So Monday 01NOV2010 is the next city council meeting. I haven't seen the agenda posted yet. Does anyone know if Skolnik's proposed weapons ban is on the agenda for this meeting or is it going to be held over until 15NOV2010?

crdonov

So Monday 01NOV2010 is the next city council meeting. I haven't seen the agenda posted yet. Does anyone know if Skolnik's proposed weapons ban is on the agenda for this meeting or is it going to be held over until 15NOV2010?

just tried to find the agenda, cant find it either. are they trying to pull a fast one?

xd-over

ep0k

just tried to find the agenda, cant find it either. are they trying to pull a fast one?

xd-over

I've noticed from the last two city council meetings that the agenda is not posted until AFTER the council convenes.

While it would be easy to say it's a deliberate thing, I find that in general it is far more probable to blame such things on incompetence rather than malice.

In short, I'll make a few phone calls and find out. If the Monday meeting relates to the proposed weapons ban, my weekend is ******.

boyscout399

Yeah. As usual, MOCA was left off the distribution list. Can't help but feel that's a deliberate snub.

I was talking to my dad about that actually. He thought there was a law that required them to notify interested parties about meetings like that, and considering they notified the Portland PD and the NRA, but left off MOCA (the foremost active gun rights group in Maine) they may have violated some sort of law. I want to spend some time looking into that, but haven't had a chance yet. I'm not sure if there's any law about notification when a city council is preparing legislation.

Maine CWP Training

resolve 3-10/11 resolution supporting legislation prohibiting guns in publicly
(tab 10) owned or controlled buildings or facilities that host large public gatherings – sponsored by the public safety committee, councilor daniel s. Skolnik, chair.

On october 12th, the public safety committee voted 2-0 to send a resolution to the council supporting the creation of state legislation that would prohibit firearms in certain publicly owed facilities where mass gatherings occur.

Staff is requesting that this item be postponed to the november 15th council meeting
the latest

jt59

http://www.portlandmaine.gov/eveningagenda.htm

Currently they're scheduled to hear to gun ban measure. There is a request to postpone it until the 15th. Can't assume that will happen though.

Will make notifications.

You should be out in force to speak to the issue....if you have anyone that has a direct link to any of the council members, you should contact them for a private meeting immediately!

A motion to pass a resolution can be done at the meeting by a "call the question" under Roberts rules of order, and with the political cover of the subcommittee "do pass" recommendation....discussion is limited and public discussion may be limited by the chair,they could float it......I suggest that a ton of folks make a point to be here at this meeting, and notify the chair that you would like to take use of the public comment period to make a statement....and then line up.....and plan on doing it again at the next one.....if you don't, this will likely pass.

ep0k

You should be out in force to speak to the issue....if you have anyone that has a direct link to any of the council members, you should contact them for a private meeting immediately!

A motion to pass a resolution can be done at the meeting by a "call the question" under Roberts rules of order, and with the political cover of the subcommittee "do pass" recommendation....discussion is limited and public discussion may be limited by the chair,they could float it......I suggest that a ton of folks make a point to be here at this meeting, and notify the chair that you would like to take use of the public comment period to make a statement....and then line up.....and plan on doing it again at the next one.....if you don't, this will likely pass.

I definitely second the notion that maximal attendance is strongly encouraged. Those of you on the mailing list already know my position on the matter.

I really can't overstress the importance of being there and making our voices heard.

Maine CWP Training

The staff is seriously considering our arguments set forth and may very well put the kibosh on this insanity.

What keeps coming back from all those concerned:
Compare this effort to a drivers license where every community had different rules and regulations. Such regulations would create chaos and mounting legal battles.

More at 11~

ep0k

The staff is seriously considering our arguments set forth and may very well put the kibosh on this insanity.

What keeps coming back from all those concerned:

More at 11~

They also seriously considered an exemption for CFP holders and went right along with their original agenda. And the way this is proposed, it would not be a local ordinance in Portland but a modification to state law. Until I watch the council vote it down I'm not assuming anything.

ep0k

Forest, the City Council Staff had not seen this until 10/21. They had not taken a position.

I know, but you were given false assurance that CC would prevail with Skolnik and Coyne, which did not turn out to be the case. I'm more trustful of the council as a whole, but not those two.

Out of curiosity, did they send you any notification that this would be on the table at tonight's meeting?

Last edited:

crdonov

council meeting

is there a link where i can watch tonights meeting? i know s. portland has one. would love to watch it! if anyone knows let me know. thanks

xd-over