Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior Centers fall under MCL 123.1102 ????

Senior Centers fall under MCL 123.1102 ????

Portions from....

Clio Area Senior Center
    Operated by the Charter Township of Vienna
    Participation Policy

Excerpt follows...

In order for everyone to enjoy activities and services in safety and comfort, you are asked to abide by the following rules:

4. There is no use of tobacco, alcohol, weapons or any illegal substances allowed. Smoking is only allowed outside.... etc....

Failure to abide by this Participation Policy will result in an individual being asked to leave the premises and property until such a time as they are willing to meet with the Center Director (or designate) and commit in writing to conform to the Participation Policy. The manageement reserves the right to permanently ban a parson from the Center for violations of this policy.

So.... Because it is the Charter Township of Vienna (a local unit of government) that operates this Senior Center I would say that MCL 123.1102 applies.. Correct?

Although I have no idea who owns the building..... or how that would factor into this.

Also... isn't Federal funding involved in Senior Centers?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

O.K. so it says no use of Firearms O.C. or C.C is not a use of fire arms. Just My 2 cents
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Double tap
    Last edited by pmcqueen37; 10-28-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Quote Originally Posted by pmcqueen37 View Post
    O.K. so it says no use of Firearms O.C. or C.C is not a use of fire arms. Just My 2 cents
    That was my thought as well.

However, I'm sure the person in charge will say that it means no carrying either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Portions from....

Clio Area Senior Center
    Operated by the Charter Township of Vienna
    Participation Policy

Excerpt follows...

In order for everyone to enjoy activities and services in safety and comfort, you are asked to abide by the following rules:

4. There is no use of tobacco, alcohol, weapons or any illegal substances allowed. Smoking is only allowed outside.... etc....

Failure to abide by this Participation Policy will result in an individual being asked to leave the premises and property until such a time as they are willing to meet with the Center Director (or designate) and commit in writing to conform to the Participation Policy. The manageement reserves the right to permanently ban a parson from the Center for violations of this policy.

So.... Because it is the Charter Township of Vienna (a local unit of government) that operates this Senior Center I would say that MCL 123.1102 applies.. Correct?

Although I have no idea who owns the building..... or how that would factor into this.

Also... isn't Federal funding involved in Senior Centers?
    My Take - IANAL!

Operated by a Local Unit of Government, falls under preemption. Since the MI Self Defense Act covers "use of firearm", the rule is invalid as they cannot punish for Legal Activity (if necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    My Take - IANAL!

Operated by a Local Unit of Government, falls under preemption. Since the MI Self Defense Act covers "use of firearm", the rule is invalid as they cannot punish for Legal Activity (if necessary).
    I agree 100%... they are violating the law.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

I agree with Dr. Todd
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Quote Originally Posted by pmcqueen37 View Post
    O.C. or C.C is not a use of fire arms. Just My 2 cents
    I see what you did there.

ok off topic, but since i can be a bonehead will someone please direct me to a web site that handles all of these things like

ianal IMHO wanial imo stuff like that, my daughter even told me to not bother her with it, since i can't even figure out why "texting is HOT" whatever that means please help a lost cause,,

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    I agree with Dr. Todd
    Nothing good can come from that!
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I agree with Dr. Todd
    Nothing good can come from that!
    Yes, all three of us agree. As long as we are not the "3 Stooges Plumbers", everything
    should be fine!

Banned
    group hug? c'mon, hugz evrybody

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    direct me to a web site that handles all of these things like
    ianal IMHO wanial imo stuff like that,
    http://www.google.com/

And I find it mildly ironic that with your forum moniker you are having difficulty with internet acronyms.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    That was my thought as well.

However, I'm sure the person in charge will say that it means no carrying either.
    hmmm, strictly speaking just carring around a cigaret dosen't mean your smoking, samething applies to guns,,oh wait guns are SCARY

My Take - IANAL!

what the hell is IANAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yup i agree, also! hugs everyone!

I agree with Dr. Todd
    Yes, all three of us agree. As long as we are not the "3 Stooges Plumbers", everything
    should be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

And I find it mildly ironic that with your forum moniker you are having difficulty with internet acronyms.

Bronson
    "ya ya laugh it up fuzzball" direct quote han solo! empire strikes back! and its on topic because he open carries also!
    Last edited by NHCGRPR45; 10-29-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Banned
    IANAL
    I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Michigun View Post

thank you!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson

to say nothing of being in the army

what are you doing today? not much just heading to the DFAC, the over to S-1 to pick up some TOPSEC, then over to the ASP to get my AMMO for the range, the over to SEC, back to the ASP, where i'll have to talk to the QM about S-2 and why they tend to be such slow producers. of by the way did you see Sgt new POV, its HOT! his new POF is a real slick M4 especially with that new M68! did you here what he told his wife about last night??? he can really MSU when his COMOF is looking for him! oh did you see the new picture on my CAC card?? its a real POS! i mean WTF with ten trillion dollars they should at least spell it right! especially when its required by the GENCON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    to say nothing of being in the army

what are you doing today? not much just heading to the DFAC, the over to S-1 to pick up some TOPSEC, then over to the ASP to get my AMMO for the range, the over to SEC, back to the ASP, where i'll have to talk to the QM about S-2 and why they tend to be such slow producers. of by the way did you see Sgt new POV, its HOT! his new POF is a real slick M4 especially with that new M68! did you here what he told his wife about last night??? he can really MSU when his COMOF is looking for him! oh did you see the new picture on my CAC card?? its a real POS! i mean WTF with ten trillion dollars they should at least spell it right! especially when its required by the GENCON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL! When I was in the Corps many conversations were very similar to this!

yes it does bring back memories don't it!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Quote Originally Posted by nhcgrpr45 View Post
    yes it does bring back memories don't it!:d
    yes it does ! ! ! ! Lol

Back to the OP though, I can if you wish meet with Mr. Stout and inquire about it as I am just around the cornner from there (literaly)? FYI Mr. Stout is the Clio city attorney. And I have spoken to him on a few occasions concerning my situation. He (seams) to be if not pro gun then atleast neutral, as he did take the time to speak with me about it at the drugstore where I happnened to run into him.Also if I am not mistaken it is a colaborative affair between the City of Clio AND Vienna township. It is how ever located just outside of the city and so LE is Genesee County Sheriffs Office under contract to Vienna TWP. Let me know if you would like me to make the inquiry?

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyMarbles View Post
    Back to the OP though, I can if you wish meet with Mr. Stout and inquire about it as I am just around the cornner from there (literaly)? FYI Mr. Stout is the Clio city attorney. And I have spoken to him on a few occasions concerning my situation. He (seams) to be if not pro gun then atleast neutral, as he did take the time to speak with me about it at the drugstore where I happnened to run into him.Also if I am not mistaken it is a colaborative affair between the City of Clio AND Vienna township. It is how ever located just outside of the city and so LE is Genesee County Sheriffs Office under contract to Vienna TWP. Let me know if you would like me to make the inquiry?
    Please do inquire! We, Yooperlady and I .. and most likely other folks, would be very interested in Mr. Stout's response. And if it is a collaboration between city and township I'm sure he will talk to the township before answering you.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

I would also be interested in how this turns out as I believe the Davison senior center also prohibits. the only thing I can think that supports the prohibition is its considered a "municipal" building. ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast