• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cons & drawbacks to a shoulder holster?

TXgirl4OC

I have decided I am going to start jogging early in the AM with my German Shepherd. She is 11 months old now, very big and extremely protective of me. However not living in the very best of neighborhoods, obviously, I would still like to have my gun on me while doing so.

As a girl I feel limited on CC options in general, as for jogging I'm thinking perhaps a shoulder holster under a zippered hoodie. I carry a Taurus PT111... roughly around the same size as a Glock 26 I believe. Just wondering if there are any major drawbacks or cons to wearing the shoulder holster as I have never done so. Or if anybody has any better ideas for CC while walking or jogging my dog?

Coded-Dude

I actually just read this today as I am considering a muzzle up shoulder rig for my S&W

Shoulder Holsters: Beyond The Mystique

from the article:

The Lady's Option

The last but perhaps most frequent candidate for the shoulder holster is the female pistol-packer. If you hang out with plainclothes units who have the shoulder holster option, you'll notice that a large number of the female officers will wear that style. It saves them from having to wear mannish pants with loops large enough for the sturdy belt needed to carry gun, spare ammo and cuffs. The self-suspending nature of the shoulder holster makes it work very well under a woman's suitcoat, blazer or sweater.

Hip holsters designed for men tend to ride too high on women. While most men have trouble reaching across their chest to get a good grip on a shoulder-holstered gun, the women find their relatively more limber arms can reach much farther toward their opposite side armpit.

I wasn't the first to discover this. In his 1960 book, Handgunner's Guide, holster designer and quick-draw expert Chic Gaylord said of his horizontal Dynamite shoulder rig, "This is undoubtedly the fastest shoulder holster made. I designed it originally for policewomen. However, diplomats, heads of state, and our best-dressed detectives went for it to a much greater degree than did their sisters-in-arms."

Its a good read but a little lengthy, I just copy and pasted the part about Women.

Cheers

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Consider the Safepacker holster. http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1

It's not OC but it offers a number of options. You can adjust it for variations on chest, waist, crossdraw, slung bag and other carry possibilities. It also offers you some options for carry in the car.

For OC options, look at the El Paso Saddlery... 1942 Tanker holster is popular but does not conceal: http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-14-military.aspx

The Haugen Handgun Letter is also a great and gets good reviews. Rancher Magmum Carry is the one I've heard talked about. http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/holsters/pc/Model20-Rancher-Magnum-Carry-10p27.htm

You can also adapt your existing OWB holster to something like the Rancher Magnum Carry by using a length of web belting and some fastex buckles. Personally I like the idea of the combination of chest and waist straps to keep everything from flopping while o the move.

stay safe.

jeeper1

Wouldn't a holster hanging from your shoulder be in the way of your arms moving while jogging?

sultan62

I didn't think I'd ever advocate wearing a fanny pack, but it could be a good option for a jogger.

TXgirl4OC

Thanks for the options Skidmark, I really like that Safepacker holster. I'm definitely interested in one. Watching the video I love how easy it is to draw from it!

Jeeper1, that's something I've definitely thought about, but wouldn't know until I tried it.

Sultan62, I hear ya on that one! That's why I like the Safepacker that Skidmark suggested, doesn't look like an original style fannypack!

cbpeck

First off, I recognize that women report varying experiences with belt holsters in general, and that curvy women especially can have problems with them. My understanding is that the butt of the gun often rides up too high or digs into a woman's side too much.

That being said, I have a Texas Heritage IWB holster made by Tucker Gun Leather that I often carry while walking and would probably carry while running too if I didn't do most of my running on soccer fields. The holster has two belt clips placed out wide so that the gun stays in place at all times, including during high impact activities. The holster does require a stout belt, but many hiking shorts have belt loops and would be suitable for jogging.

Here's a link to the Tucker IWB line of holsters: http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbholsters1.html

If IWB holsters seem like they would push the butt of the gun too high or too far into your side then you may look at a Small of Back holster. This design isn't popular for OC, but for a woman who wants to CC during jogs it may be just the ticket. Galco makes a nice one, but unfortunately I don't see it being offered for the Taurus 111.

As an example, here's a link to the Galco Small of Back holster for a Glock 26: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=2444&GunID=207

If the idea of jogging in hiking shorts is too far of a stretch or if your physique makes it difficult to wear a belt holster then it may be time to explore some other options.

If you have any questions about these suggestions or want to discuss other ideas feel free to send them my way in a PM.

TXgirl4OC

Lots of suggestions to consider! Thanks ya'll so much!

Cbpeck, that underwrap belly band would work alot better than a IWB holster... I think my gun is a bit heavy for an IWB holster while jogging as my workout pants are leggings or sweatpants and probably wouldn't support it very well.
But I like the idea of wearing that underwrap under a zippered hoodie, definitely a good option!

cbpeck

The underwrap is a nice concept, but I'm not sure how well it would work. If you decide to give it a try please be sure to write a review. : )

I'd be concerned about it sliding up and down too much, especially while jogging. It would probably slide around less if it was fastened around the narrowest part of your torso, but for women that's right under the bust, and that could make it difficult to draw your weapon. A lot of it just depends on your physique, which is why you always see people say YMMV (your mileage may vary).

TXgirl4OC

Ah, good to know what the YMMV acronym is! lol

I would definitely wear it around the smallest part of my waist, I have a somewhat long torso so it wouldn't be a problem.
It's looking like it's just going to have to be a trial and error kind of thing. My only other option would be my snub nose .357, but as I need it tightly concealed during jogging I don't want the hammer getting caught or hung while drawing.

cbpeck

Ah, good to know what the YMMV acronym is! lol

It's looking like it's just going to have to be a trial and error kind of thing.

I still get caught off guard by some of the acronyms used on this site. Someone should post a key, if they haven't done so already.

Unfortunately, most holster searches are trial and error. Ultimately, what may work well for someone else may just not be your cup of tea. That's ok I guess. It's just that holsters aren't given away, and the process can get a little spendy.

HeroHog

Skidmark, that Safepacker holster is nice! Now if it just had the extra carrying capacity of my leather CHP bag... :p

irish52084

I had the same questions about finding a holster for jogging with my dog. So far The chest holster from active pro gear is probably what I'm going to buy. I thought about the belly band, but didn't like the idea of lifting my shirt to draw, seemed like an unnecessary step. I probably have the opposite problem, physically, that you do, I'm very broad in the chest and shoulders, oh and male. lol

If you're feeling creative, I thought a holster with some velcro on the inside of a hoody pocket would be nice. Then you could just make a strap or band that would slide around your waist to help keep the holster and gun firmly in place. You'd have to cut 2 holes inside of the hoody pocket and maybe the holster though.

architect

Check out http://deepconceal.com/concealed-carry-holsters for a cloth shoulder holster that can be washed with the rest of your clothes. These are meant for deep concealment, and work well for that, but I think they might work well for athletic use too as they hold the pistol tight to the body and do not inhibit arm motion. They conceal completely even under a light t-shirt.

The drawbacks are that they are a little hard to get to if you are wearing them under a shirt with a tight neck, and a little unsightly OC. :D

Beretta92FSLady

My experience with should rigs or shoulder rig was crappy. I accidentally unlocked it reaching over a counter at a sporting goods store and guess what came out of the rig...my sidearm, for everyone to see, OMG!

If you get a shoulder rig, look into the type where the latch folds over the sidearm...mine had a latch which had a lip on it that you would pull to the side to open, bad idea. Hope that made sense.

I want to get another shoulder rig though, they are more comfortable than carrying on the waist.

Daylen

My experience with should rigs or shoulder rig was crappy. I accidentally unlocked it reaching over a counter at a sporting goods store and guess what came out of the rig...my sidearm, for everyone to see, OMG!

If you get a shoulder rig, look into the type where the latch folds over the sidearm...mine had a latch which had a lip on it that you would pull to the side to open, bad idea. Hope that made sense.

I want to get another shoulder rig though, they are more comfortable than carrying on the waist.

lol. so to summerize: IT SUCKED, I want another?

I can't say much though, I tried one hated how it felt, sent it back and now I want a shoulder rig to try again.

REALteach4u

I have decided I am going to start jogging early in the AM with my German Shepherd. She is 11 months old now, very big and extremely protective of me. However not living in the very best of neighborhoods, obviously, I would still like to have my gun on me while doing so.

As a girl I feel limited on CC options in general, as for jogging I'm thinking perhaps a shoulder holster under a zippered hoodie. I carry a Taurus PT111... roughly around the same size as a Glock 26 I believe. Just wondering if there are any major drawbacks or cons to wearing the shoulder holster as I have never done so. Or if anybody has any better ideas for CC while walking or jogging my dog?

Holsters tend to be personal preference. As a CCW instructor and combat veteran, I never suggest any shoulder holster. You're muzzle awareness is nonexistent when it's a rear facing holster, downward pointing holsters are difficult to find for some models, and a muzzle-up model is not worth the risk.

I'd suggest going another direction.

I actually just read this today as I am considering a muzzle up shoulder rig for my S&W

Shoulder Holsters: Beyond The Mystique

Why would you go with a muzzle-up rig? If you had a discharge you have absolutely no way to know where the round went, where it's going, or where it will land when it comes back down. You run a huge risk of having the muzzle pointed at a body part and even your head. Then to top it off, all of the weight will be toward the ground and if it comes unsnapped you can kiss it goodbye and pray that you don't have a discharge.

You run a big risk of a drop if you were faced with a self-defense situation. It's just too risky, then there's the legal risk as well.

If you had a discharge you'd also stand the risk of going to jail for public endangerment and at least 1 or 2 other charges just for having a muzzle-up rig. This is because it's YOUR responsibility to know the risks of using such a piece of equipment and it's YOUR responsibility to take reasonable care to ensure nothing happens.

Now before anyone bashes me, have either of you considered the holster-shirts at all? It's a great alternative to a shoulder rig and it can certainly hide a full size .45ACP, though that would weigh a lot. Something like a Ruger LCP just disappears.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...irt/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10800:10801/I/40011

One of my students has asked me to review one of these as well.
www.pistolwear.com

Last edited: