Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your idea of the best home defense/survival firearm and ammunition?

What is your idea of the best home defense/survival firearm and ammunition?

Mine is:

12gauge slide action shotgun with a 20inch rifled barrel topped with a 1.5 X 4 power optics with 1 box (25) ea. of sabot slugs, 00 buckshot, #4 bird shot and #6 birdshot. My so equipped remington 870 would be the last gun to leave my arsenal.

bhancock
    Remington 870 with a variety of shells. Sabot slugs are awesome when it comes to devastating power, but you also need the buckshot and bird shot as well, you know, a time and a place for everything. I have no optics but then again I never have, so I don't know what I am missing. Also happens to be my wife's favorite gun, pick it up, point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Mine is:

12gauge slide action shotgun with a 20inch rifled barrel topped with a 1.5 X 4 power optics with 1 box (25) ea. of sabot slugs, 00 buckshot, #4 bird shot and #6 birdshot. My so equipped remington 870 would be the last gun to leave my arsenal.
    Great choice for survival but I'd loose the scope unless you have a realy big home with long hallways!scope's are kind of useless in the dark unless you have a flash lite attachment. Ihave a scoped ithica that would be my survival gun ,plus my XD40 tactical for close in work,my wife can carry the .243 scoped rifle and her LCP.
    In my ex military mind any firearm you are comfortable and proficiant with will be your savior if you need it.Oh don't forget a good knife or two.
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Only one? I'm sorry, but I cannot be limited to just one.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

12 gauge, slugs, birdshot, double OO buck and #4 buck tactical load. Folding stock, red dot, sling, ammo carrier and heat shield. I also have a long barrel for geese and duck.

click for bigger pic;

I use this gun now for deer, duck, geese and ...
    Last edited by hardballer; 10-27-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Left to right
    Remington 870: magzine extended to 8 rounds, slug barrel door breeching choke, red dot. Knox recoil reduction stock, pictinny rail forend with grip with laser and light mounted on it
    Steoger over and under
    Stock remington 870
    Browning gold hunter with extended long range choke

I also have a shotgun bandlier and keep 250 rounds broken between slug and 00buck I also have 15 door breaching rounds
    Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament'.

Any functioning shotgun is a good choice.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Can I have two, or 3?

Please can I have two or three!

Any 12 gauge
    An AR-15
    Any 22

If I didn't lose them in a tragic boating accident I would have used my:

Benelli Montefeltro
    Bushmaster Vmatch
    Ruger 10/22

They say auto shotguns aren't as reliable as pumps but my Benelli has less parts in it than a pump so I'll beg to differ.

The AR for larger game a little futher away that I can't take with the shotgun or 22

The 10/22 for small stuff when I'm really hungry...
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 10-28-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

McX
    my current travel and home defense gun?: My Disruptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    If I didn't lose them in a tragic boating accident I would have used my:
    Man, people really need to be more careful. I keep hearing these stories from people. I myself lost all mine in a tragic boating accident Labor Day weekend.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Home defense - 12g w/ 00 & .40 glock

Survival, kinda depends on what I'm surviving from... but more than likely would like a 12g, .40/9mm for a sidearm and a .22 for hunting.

I forgot to add the psychological effect of a slide action shotgun. I imagine the unmistakable sound of a slide action shotgun being operated in a dark room would make even the most hardened intruder pee their pants.

McX
    I forgot to add the psychological effect of a slide action shotgun. I imagine the unmistakable sound of a slide action shotgun being operated in a dark room would make even the most hardened intruder pee their pants.
    it can also make your tv, that is floating across the livingroom at 3 am mysteriously drop to the floor.

For home defense I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a pistol grip and 6 extra shells in a side saddle mount, mix of slugs and double ought. I also have an HK USP .45 Tactical with 10 round mags of 185gr JHP. (I would have 12 round mags for it, but my gun dealer screwed me out of them when I bought the pistol, and never made good on his promise to get me 2 new ones before he went out of business.)

I've often thought of replacing the 185gr JHP .45 ACP ammo with some 185gr .45 Super ammo, since the HK can handle .45 Super and using it won't void the warranty. I've never been sure about making that leap, though. If anyone has an experience with .45 Super, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I also wish someone would make a .50GI conversion for the HK, but so far Guncrafter Industries has no interest in doing so from the couple times I've talked to them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    For home defense I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a pistol grip and 6 extra shells in a side saddle mount, mix of slugs and double ought. I also have an HK USP .45 Tactical with 10 round mags of 185gr JHP. (I would have 12 round mags for it, but my gun dealer screwed me out of them when I bought the pistol, and never made good on his promise to get me 2 new ones before he went out of business.)
    Fletcher Arms has always treated me right.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    it can also make your tv, that is floating across the livingroom at 3 am mysteriously drop to the floor.

Specters! ROFLMAO!

You should probably call Ghost Busters if your TV if floating across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Fletcher Arms has always treated me right.
    This wasn't them. This was a guy in Janesville.

I'll keep Fletcher's in mind next time I "need" to add to my collection.

Just remembered, I have a lever action .454 Casull that would work pretty well as a hunting rifle. I've often thought of getting a Taurus .454 Raging Bull to compliment that since both of them can also fire .45 LC, which would offer some nice flexibility from an ammo availability standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    This wasn't them. This was a guy in Janesville.

I'll keep Fletcher's in mind next time I "need" to add to my collection.

Just remembered, I have a lever action .454 Casull that would work pretty well as a hunting rifle. I've often thought of getting a Taurus .454 Raging Bull to compliment that since both of them can also fire .45 LC, which would offer some nice flexibility from an ammo availability standpoint.
    I know it wasn't them, I'm just letting you know where to go!

I keep an AR15 chambered in 458 socom standing in the corner next to the bed for my home defense weapon.
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    I keep an AR15 chambered in 458 socom standing in the corner next to the bed for my home defense weapon.
    AR15 too.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Very funny!

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    My survival firearm is my version of the FP-45 Liberator, my H&K USPc .40 and 1000+ rounds of ammo. Using it offensively I can get what I need, keep us safe and prevent our abuse while we're alive.

Are we talking survival against home invaders, zombies, or survival hunting?

You have also alerted the BG[s] as to where you are and what you have.....allowing them to act accordingly. The only audible give-away I'm willing to risk is the sliding of a safety into the "fire" position.

Think it through. If you have no idea of who or how many and what they may have for weapons or what could be used as weapons you need to defend against, revealing your location and announcing your weapon is an action based on fantasy and may cost you and everyone in the house your lives. Once put on alert, not everyone rolls over on their back and surrenders. Some bad guys have criminal histories, and maybe years of prison waiting for another conviction. They may chance overpowering you to avoid all that. You just made that possibility simpler by revealing where you are, what you have, and that you were not prepared [no round in the chamber]. Chances are you'll be coming out of that room barrel first, or entering a room barrel first. All they need to do is grab that barrel. Now who is peeing themselves?

As far as the "best weapon"? If I had to clear a house alone, I do not think I would grab a shotgun for the job. I'd love my backup person to have one, but I'm not sticking a shotgun barrel into a closet to make sure all Boogy men are gone. They might not be.

Magnified Optics on an indoor defense weapon? I live in a house that has 1440 square foot on the main floor. About 15 yards is the maximum distance I need to acquire a target in the house. Lighting will be a target acquisition issue, not distance.

The shotgun is a very useful tool for home defense. We have three strategically placed. All high capacity, barrels which allow for maneuverability, and everyone in the house knows how to use one as a club. I would not go so far as to designate them as our primary defense weapons. They are one of a number of tools we have

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast