• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your idea of the best home defense/survival firearm and ammunition?

TyGuy

Are we talking survival against home invaders, zombies, or survival hunting?

Fuller Malarkey

I forgot to add the psychological effect of a slide action shotgun. I imagine the unmistakable sound of a slide action shotgun being operated in a dark room would make even the most hardened intruder pee their pants.

You have also alerted the BG as to where you are and what you have.....allowing them to act accordingly. The only audible give-away I'm willing to risk is the sliding of a safety into the "fire" position.

Think it through. If you have no idea of who or how many and what they may have for weapons or what could be used as weapons you need to defend against, revealing your location and announcing your weapon is an action based on fantasy and may cost you and everyone in the house your lives. Once put on alert, not everyone rolls over on their back and surrenders. Some bad guys have criminal histories, and maybe years of prison waiting for another conviction. They may chance overpowering you to avoid all that. You just made that possibility simpler by revealing where you are, what you have, and that you were not prepared [no round in the chamber]. Chances are you'll be coming out of that room barrel first, or entering a room barrel first. All they need to do is grab that barrel. Now who is peeing themselves?

As far as the "best weapon"? If I had to clear a house alone, I do not think I would grab a shotgun for the job. I'd love my backup person to have one, but I'm not sticking a shotgun barrel into a closet to make sure all Boogy men are gone. They might not be.

Magnified Optics on an indoor defense weapon? I live in a house that has 1440 square foot on the main floor. About 15 yards is the maximum distance I need to acquire a target in the house. Lighting will be a target acquisition issue, not distance.

The shotgun is a very useful tool for home defense. We have three strategically placed. All high capacity, barrels which allow for maneuverability, and everyone in the house knows how to use one as a club. I would not go so far as to designate them as our primary defense weapons. They are one of a number of tools we have

protias

Death by Daisy BB Gun or better yet a Sheridan Air Rifle!

[Ralphie is visiting Santa at the department store, only he can't remember what he wanted]
Santa Claus: How about a nice football?
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Football? Football? What's a football? With unconscious will my voice squeaked out 'football'.
Santa Claus: Okay, get him out of here.
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] A football? Oh no, what was I doing? Wake up, Stupid! Wake up!
Ralphie: [Ralphie is shoved down the slide, but he stops himself and climbs back up] No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
Santa Claus: You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

lol

JerryD

I looked at the 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, and the 50 beowolf and liked the 458 because it is not a propietary round like the other 2 and there are more components available for the 458 socom with a wider range of bullets I can get anywhere from a 300 grain bullet all the way up 600 grains with the 458.

I chose the .458 over the .50 also because of the whole banning the 50 thing idiots want to do.

The difference is 42 hundreths of an inch between the 458 and 50 I do not think anyone who gets hit with the 458 is going quibble over that.

protias

I looked at the 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, and the 50 beowolf and liked the 458 because it is not a propietary round like the other 2 and there are more components available for the 458 socom with a wider range of bullets I can get anywhere from a 300 grain bullet all the way up 600 grains with the 458.

I chose the .458 over the .50 also because of the whole banning the 50 thing idiots want to do.

The difference is 42 hundreths of an inch between the 458 and 50 I do not think anyone who gets hit with the 458 is going quibble over that.

When CA banned .50, they opened the door for Barrett to make a better, more accurate, long distance rifle round with the 408 and 416. :D

JerryD

Anytime you are in my area stop by and we you can try it out, I am having a shooting berm put in as we speak so no need to go off property for a range.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I think the best all-around gun is a shotgun because no other gun offers the versatility in ammo: bird shot to slugs-- capable of taking game from squirrels to anything that walks the earth. I would agree it is the standard by which all others are compared for CQB and home defense. The AR is great, but loadings beyond the 5.56 may have too much penetration through walls. But not everyone's home is constructed in the same manner or proximity to others, so your results may vary!

Uncommon calibers are not good choices for survival. For survival purposes however, probably the lowly .22 LR is best. A 500 round brick is as easy to lug as 25 rounds of shotgun shells and will go a long way. I have a couple Ruger 10-22's and I would pick the one that I've scoped and installed an after-market varmint barrel on it. When I've taken it to the range, it was so accurate that shooting bullseyes became boring, so I had to resort to shooting the staples off the target and insects.

Captain Nemo

Fuller Malarky:

Maybe, but I'll be I can get the first shot off while the intruder is hoping around after dropping a tv on his foot while peeing his pants and possibly crapping his shorts.

Of course in Wisconsin with no castle doctrine statute and it's rigid self defense laws if I did shoot the varmit it is probably I that would go to jail.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Fuller Malarky:

Maybe, but I'll be I can get the first shot off while the intruder is hoping around after dropping a tv on his foot while peeing his pants and possibly crapping his shorts.

Of course in Wisconsin with no castle doctrine statute and it's rigid self defense laws if I did shoot the varmit it is probably I that would go to jail.

You'll notice I had no problem with your choice of home defense weapon. Only you know what you can maneuver in your house, what everyone present can operate, and what you can legally do to protect yourselves. My comments went to method and equipment. A scope on a shotgun in MOST dwellings would be the equivalent of removing the ability to aim the weapon, an action I would find critical in a self defense situation. The main criticism I offered was in regards to the racking of a shotgun for effect. Think it through. For one, why was there an empty chamber in your main defensive weapon? If it weren't empty, you just jacked a round out that you may need to stay alive. Your life, your call. I've been actively trained and involved with training for over 20 years. I have yet had Massad F. Ayoob instruct me to rack a round for effect. Maybe he over looked this?

Should I find myself in a position of having to ready an unloaded firearm to defend myself, I will take advantage of the racking action. Not so much for psychological effect, but because I will be letting lead fly in a matter of moments, before anyone can cash in on the auditory information.

Another place that may benefit from some more thinking is shooting someone with an arm full of TV. Hard to explain to a jury of 12 that you "feared for your life" when bad guy had a hand full of appliance, and heading towards the door.

The NRA offers some good training on home defense, and defense outside the home. I have never felt the time and money spent was wasted in attending. Sometimes there are worse things than not knowing. Like having just one thing you think you know being wrong.

And remember. Many households have intruders that respond with "It's me Dad". May not be the case for you, but since there aren't IQ tests given to determine eligibility to partake in forums, I think it worth mentioning. Developing a well thought out response to an intruder may save your life. One not so well thought out may end it. Or that of someone you were trying to protect.

I commend your desire to defend yourself and your home. I equally encourage you to get some affective training to make it safely possible.

Last edited:

na559

My home defense is designed where there is the least amount of mess, least amount of damage to my own home, and most importantly, one side of the story.
MINE!