• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is your idea of the best home defense/survival firearm and ammunition?

Captain Nemo

Mine is:

12gauge slide action shotgun with a 20inch rifled barrel topped with a 1.5 X 4 power optics with 1 box (25) ea. of sabot slugs, 00 buckshot, #4 bird shot and #6 birdshot. My so equipped remington 870 would be the last gun to leave my arsenal.

B

bhancock

Remington 870 with a variety of shells. Sabot slugs are awesome when it comes to devastating power, but you also need the buckshot and bird shot as well, you know, a time and a place for everything. I have no optics but then again I never have, so I don't know what I am missing. Also happens to be my wife's favorite gun, pick it up, point and shoot.

littlewolf

Mine is:

12gauge slide action shotgun with a 20inch rifled barrel topped with a 1.5 X 4 power optics with 1 box (25) ea. of sabot slugs, 00 buckshot, #4 bird shot and #6 birdshot. My so equipped remington 870 would be the last gun to leave my arsenal.

Great choice for survival but I'd loose the scope unless you have a realy big home with long hallways!scope's are kind of useless in the dark unless you have a flash lite attachment. Ihave a scoped ithica that would be my survival gun ,plus my XD40 tactical for close in work,my wife can carry the .243 scoped rifle and her LCP.
In my ex military mind any firearm you are comfortable and proficiant with will be your savior if you need it.Oh don't forget a good knife or two.

hardballer

12 gauge, slugs, birdshot, double OO buck and #4 buck tactical load. Folding stock, red dot, sling, ammo carrier and heat shield. I also have a long barrel for geese and duck.

click for bigger pic;

I use this gun now for deer, duck, geese and ...

Last edited:

Shane28

Iphone039.jpg

Left to right
Remington 870: magzine extended to 8 rounds, slug barrel door breeching choke, red dot. Knox recoil reduction stock, pictinny rail forend with grip with laser and light mounted on it
Steoger over and under
Stock remington 870
Browning gold hunter with extended long range choke

I also have a shotgun bandlier and keep 250 rounds broken between slug and 00buck I also have 15 door breaching rounds

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Can I have two, or 3?

Please can I have two or three!

Any 12 gauge
An AR-15
Any 22

If I didn't lose them in a tragic boating accident I would have used my:

Benelli Montefeltro
Bushmaster Vmatch
Ruger 10/22

They say auto shotguns aren't as reliable as pumps but my Benelli has less parts in it than a pump so I'll beg to differ.

The AR for larger game a little futher away that I can't take with the shotgun or 22

The 10/22 for small stuff when I'm really hungry...

Last edited:

protias

If I didn't lose them in a tragic boating accident I would have used my:
Man, people really need to be more careful. I keep hearing these stories from people. I myself lost all mine in a tragic boating accident Labor Day weekend.

anmut

Home defense - 12g w/ 00 & .40 glock

Survival, kinda depends on what I'm surviving from... but more than likely would like a 12g, .40/9mm for a sidearm and a .22 for hunting.

Captain Nemo

I forgot to add the psychological effect of a slide action shotgun. I imagine the unmistakable sound of a slide action shotgun being operated in a dark room would make even the most hardened intruder pee their pants.

M

McX

I forgot to add the psychological effect of a slide action shotgun. I imagine the unmistakable sound of a slide action shotgun being operated in a dark room would make even the most hardened intruder pee their pants.

it can also make your tv, that is floating across the livingroom at 3 am mysteriously drop to the floor.

The Don

For home defense I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a pistol grip and 6 extra shells in a side saddle mount, mix of slugs and double ought. I also have an HK USP .45 Tactical with 10 round mags of 185gr JHP. (I would have 12 round mags for it, but my gun dealer screwed me out of them when I bought the pistol, and never made good on his promise to get me 2 new ones before he went out of business.)

I've often thought of replacing the 185gr JHP .45 ACP ammo with some 185gr .45 Super ammo, since the HK can handle .45 Super and using it won't void the warranty. I've never been sure about making that leap, though. If anyone has an experience with .45 Super, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I also wish someone would make a .50GI conversion for the HK, but so far Guncrafter Industries has no interest in doing so from the couple times I've talked to them about it.

protias

For home defense I have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a pistol grip and 6 extra shells in a side saddle mount, mix of slugs and double ought. I also have an HK USP .45 Tactical with 10 round mags of 185gr JHP. (I would have 12 round mags for it, but my gun dealer screwed me out of them when I bought the pistol, and never made good on his promise to get me 2 new ones before he went out of business.)
Fletcher Arms has always treated me right. ;) :D

The Don

Fletcher Arms has always treated me right. ;) :D

This wasn't them. This was a guy in Janesville.

I'll keep Fletcher's in mind next time I "need" to add to my collection.

Just remembered, I have a lever action .454 Casull that would work pretty well as a hunting rifle. I've often thought of getting a Taurus .454 Raging Bull to compliment that since both of them can also fire .45 LC, which would offer some nice flexibility from an ammo availability standpoint.

protias

This wasn't them. This was a guy in Janesville.

I'll keep Fletcher's in mind next time I "need" to add to my collection.

Just remembered, I have a lever action .454 Casull that would work pretty well as a hunting rifle. I've often thought of getting a Taurus .454 Raging Bull to compliment that since both of them can also fire .45 LC, which would offer some nice flexibility from an ammo availability standpoint.
I know it wasn't them, I'm just letting you know where to go! ;) :D