• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Powder?

frommycolddeadhands

Nice article, but I don't think it's anything to get hung up about.

1) Politicians are quaking in their boots right now and are really trying hard to lie and cheat their way back into the public's good graces. Shoving stimulus packages, Healthcare Bills, and then putting off the Bush tax cuts til after the election has got a hornets nest stirred up, and they know it. If they go after guns (or powder) now I think they know there'd be an unimaginable backlash of pissed off people. One of those 'final straw' sorta deals.

2) No 'smokeless' powder and "No gunpowder" are two different things

3) Even if gunpowder suddenly evaporated from the planet, a determined bunch of people could find many other ways of waging war or defending ones self. I swear if guns are ever banned I'll start carrying a loaded crossbow with me to the grocery store. Now THATS open carry.

SemperFiTexan

Thanks for posting the article. I found it interesting and informative; and agree with the message it extends.

6L6GC

stocking up slowly

while I don't have as much powder as I'd like, I have slowly been stocking up on the various types I need. Lately I have made a chart listing all the calibers that I have and the powders that I use. I have started buying only powders that can be used for three or more guns. For example, Unique can be used for my 380, 9MM, 38 Special/357, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. That's just one example but there are many others.

I have also been stocking up on powders for shot shell reloading, following the same basic principle with that as with the other powders.

I have long maintained that there won't be a "GUN GRAB" by the feds just right out of the blue, but the "grabbing" of guns will be a general, incrimental, bit by bit type of thing. First, hi-cap mags. Then "cop killer ammo". Then, registeration of ammo purchasers, then telescopic sights, then "non-sporting" handguns, then "non-sporting" long guns, and somewhere in the mix it will become unlawful for unlicensed people to produce ammo.

Gotta have your stuff already stashed away. When the law is passed outlawing reloading supplies effective on such and such a date, the stuff in the stores will become expensive in the EXTREME. Hence, I buy primers and brass by the case. Ya might want to pick up a few bullet molds before long.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Not a bad reason to own a black powder firearm or two, and to stock up on either black powder or pyrodex. I've even read ways of cutting standard powder so as to reduce burn rates to levels comparable with black powder. I would NOT try this at home without some serious test data from solid researchers.

Caps aren't all that difficult to make from scratch, although a simple flint and striker system is more reliable under primitive conditions.