• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC in Church to vote?

wolverine1856

I was reading the Waterford schools thread about voting day and I have a question. I would like to OC while voting and I have a CPL.

My voting place is a church and is therefore private property. Can the church owner deny me entry to his facility while OC’ing? I realize he has private property rights and can deny me entry on any other day but I don’t have a choice in where I vote. Does he give up certain rights by allowing voting to take place in his establishment? Can they deny me entry to vote?

lapeer20m

I read the mcl posted by pd. Playing devils advocate, I do not see where it specifies that an individual cannot be denied entry to a polling place with or without a pistol, or asked to leave because you are violating private property rights.

I believe there probably is a statute either state or federal that spells this out more clearly.

PDinDetroit

I read the mcl posted by pd. Playing devils advocate, I do not see where it specifies that an individual cannot be denied entry to a polling place with or without a pistol, or asked to leave because you are violating private property rights.

I believe there probably is a statute either state or federal that spells this out more clearly.

I believe that eastmeyers link spelled it out pretty well...

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I believe that eastmeyers link spelled it out pretty well...

Every elector is privileged from arrest while going to, attending, and returning from elections in all cases except for treason, felony, or breach of the peace.

This doesn't mean they can't arrest you AFTER you're done voting.

I'm just sayin....

I agree there really is nothing they can arrest you for anyway, but they can make something up.

Last edited:

lapeer20m

It also does not say that you will be allowed to vote. What are the rules regarding being denied the right to vote? Federal law appears to address being denied based on race or being disabled, but I have as of yet been unable to find anything that guarantees regular people will not be denied access to the polling place.

I don't think they can keep you from voting, I am just curious where this rule is codified.

From mi constitution :
Every citizen of the United States who has attained the age of 21 years, who has resided in this state six months, and who meets the requirements of local residence provided by law, shall be an elector and qualified to vote in any election except as otherwise provided in this constitution. The legislature shall define residence for voting purposes.

[