• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officers to File Lawsuit Against Badger Guns, TodaysTMJ4.com & JSOnline.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,

protias

Yep - guns don't kill people, people that sell guns do.
I know. Here's a radical idea, sue the person who was the straw buyer and then the guy who shot them! How about suing the gun too?! They seem to control the people who hold them. :rolleyes:

TyGuy

Wasn't this already settled for firearms manufacturers? Could that federal law apply?

littlewolf

As a FFL dealer I know the pain it is to keep your license and keep from going to jail .Badger Guns is a target for anti's. If they were intentionally selling to felons or STRAW buyers they're heads would have been on the ATF chopping block. A lot of people buy from that store,all legal as far as FBI NICS and WI DOJ's HANDGUN HOT LINE! If these people knowingly sold to felons or made straw purchases go after them.Badger I believe has a policy of charging $100 for a denial from nics or handgun hot-line and I'm thinking of doing the same. If LE knows the gun came from Badger then they know who bought it,so why waste time with Badger .All they want is BADGER GONE! The who's next? sorry for the rant but it pisses me off

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Isn't this issue already addressed in case law?

I recall a case where the phone company wasn't liable for crimes committed using the phone.

Lets sue EVERY liquor store or bar that sells anyone alcohol who later gets in an accident.

Lawsuits like this are everything that is wrong with America. Misplaced accountability.

We have individual rights, and therefore are individually accountable.

If I could play keyboard attorney for a moment.

Unless Badger Guns/Outdoors was negligent in selling a gun to someone who was not legally allowed to own/possess one, I can't imagine a court will hold them liable.

A couple things I note:

First, our nanny government has imposed a myriad of laws governing background checks, straw purchases, and sale of handguns all in an attempt to keep guns out of the hands of criminals (or perhaps just to score political points) I digress...

With all the scrutiny on Badger Guns and onslaught of media attacks from Milwaukee news media, the city of Milwaukee, and the Milwaukee Police Department, HAD there been even the slightest bit of evidence Badger Outdoors or Badger Guns had broken any laws, they would surely have already had their FFL pulled and/or had criminal charges filed against them. Since they have NOT, thats pretty solid de facto proof no laws were broken.

All that aside, this is just further proof that our nanny government with its incessant legislative attempts to prevent crime by imposing cumbersome restrictions on the law abiding (background checks, etc) DIDN'T accomplish intended goals.

In a civil case, I believe the burden will rest on the plaintiffs to prove negligence or willful conduct that Badger Guns/Outdoors had reason to believe a sale they were making would lead to a gun ending up in the hands of a criminal who would use it to shoot THESE defendants.

With SO many laws requiring background checks, making straw purchases illegal, etc. I find it hard to believe any evidence exists that will give this suit any weight because if that evidence did exist, criminal charges would have already been filed AND/OR their FFL been pulled.

oak1971

I hope this case gets thrown out. Between standing, merits, and case law, it should not see the light of day. They have been after Bager for years.

M

McX

This is truly puke-able. make the machine responsible for the actions of the user. no better yet, make the place that sold the machine responsible for the actions of the user. shove the barf bucket over here- i need it, my turn.

M

McX

Saved by the straw buying law!:lol:

if i was buying straw, i'd have a horse. i'll strike my comment.....looks left, looks right.....actually i'm pretty good right now. you guys go ahead, but then drop by the shop so i can see what you got!