• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

wild dogs in monroe county.

boomer92266

i thought i would let anyone who is going to be oudoors to be careful if your around the bugtussle area of monroe county. i was turkey hunting yesterday and walked upon a pack of dogs, all i had was a single shot 12 gauge and my sccy 9mm pistol. the dogs started growling and i tried to calm them down but they were not having any of it. i had to shoot one as they attacked with my 12gauge, then dropped another useing my 9mm. the others started to scramble when the shooting started. i told the land owner and he said he's been trying to kill them himself, as they have killed a number of calves of his and ran several of his workers back on their tractors. i am so glad i was open carrying my pistol as i could not have reloaded my shotgun fast enough to stop them.

rscottie

I'm glad you were not hurt.

I was hunting in Carter County during primitive season for muzzleloaders only. The only other thing I had on me was a knife.

As I'm prone to do, I fell asleep sitting against the base of a tree. I woke up to growling and barking.

There were 3 dogs growling with the one in the lead barking constantly. I could have only shot one but decided against it. Instead I jumped up and made a big fuss. Two of them turned and ran immediately while the barker only ran when he realized his backup had left him.

I carry backup in the woods now when I muzzleloader hunt.

boomer92266

i now carry my 9mm every time i go outdoors, even hunting with my rifle in deer season. my auto handgun is just quicker to get into action if i need to. i didn't always open carry however during archery season as the dept. of fish and wildlife would try to say it was illegal, finally our govenor signed into law that we can. i emailed him thanking him for doing it and he emailed me back or someone in his office did, he said open carry was protected in ky. always has been and that the kdfw have no authority in firearm regulations but this bill that was signed just made it easier on the people who want to carry outdoors.