Thread: wild dogs in monroe county, kentucky

wild dogs in monroe county, kentucky

i thought i would let anyone who is going to be oudoors to be careful if your around the bugtussle area of monroe county, kentucky. i was turkey hunting yesterday and walked upon a pack of dogs, all i had was a single shot 12 gauge and my sccy 9mm pistol. the dogs started growling and i tried to calm them down but they were not having any of it. i had to shoot one as they attacked with my 12gauge, then dropped another useing my 9mm. the others started to scramble when the shooting started. i told the land owner and he said he's been trying to kill them himself, as they have killed a number of calves of his and ran several of his workers back on their tractors. i am so glad i was open carrying my pistol as i could not have reloaded my shotgun fast enough to stop them.

Congrats on being prepared and maintaining you whits. Should probably post in the Kentucky forum.

This has been a common problem in several states. If I remember correctly, it got so bad in Georgia (many,many years ago) that the state actually posted a bounty on them.

FWIW, a feral dog, especially in a pack, is as dangerous an animal as there is. I hunted a pack of them in South Alabama years ago. It was a scary time.

Wild dogs are quite scary when they get into a large enough pack. I had run ins with a pack of them in Iraq quite a few times. It's a really serious problem over there. They can get pretty vicious and dropping one doesn't always work right away.
    HOOAH?

Is there a general spotters guide to feral dogs vs pets that are wandering the countryside together?
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    Is there a general spotters guide to feral dogs vs pets that are wandering the countryside together?
    No!

It does not matter, if they are in a pack and acting aggressive, it is time to take them out.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    if they had went on about their buisness i wouldn't had to shoot two of them, but they came at me very agressive and left me no choice. i don't just shoot dogs that are out where i'm hunting, if they stay away or at least if they come to me come up friendly then i have no problem sharing my area with them. i love dogs i own several beagles, i did not like shooting them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer92266 View Post
    if they had went on about their buisness i wouldn't had to shoot two of them, but they came at me very agressive and left me no choice. i don't just shoot dogs that are out where i'm hunting, if they stay away or at least if they come to me come up friendly then i have no problem sharing my area with them. i love dogs i own several beagles, i did not like shooting them at all.
    Excellent job. Very tough situation!
    Last edited by HankT; 11-01-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 25sierraman View Post
    Wild dogs are quite scary when they get into a large enough pack. I had run ins with a pack of them in Iraq quite a few times. It's a really serious problem over there. They can get pretty vicious and dropping one doesn't always work right away.
    Heck! All the dogs I met in Iraq LOVED Americans and HATED Iraqis! Really! I'm not joking!

The dogs would all come up to the Americans and shadow us wherever we went and would IMMEDIATELY charge at any approaching Iraqis! It was really funny how the dogs could distinguish between the two factions!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post
    Heck! All the dogs I met in Iraq LOVED Americans and HATED Iraqis! Really! I'm not joking!

The dogs would all come up to the Americans and shadow us wherever we went and would IMMEDIATELY charge at any approaching Iraqis! It was really funny how the dogs could distinguish between the two factions!
    If I had to guess, I'd say it was the different diets creating scents that were easily discernible to the dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 226 View Post

It is really simple how they made the distinction. SMELL. The Iraqis ate different foods and spices causing them to smell differently.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    FWIW, a feral dog, especially in a pack, is as dangerous an animal as there is. I hunted a pack of them in South Alabama years ago. It was a scary time.
    Wolves are naturally skittish of humans. That innate cautiousness, formulated by 2.5 million years of evolution, has been bred out of domesticated canines. But as we know, most of the ferocity is still there.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.