Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old do you have to be to buy a hand gun in the state of Michigan?

How old do you have to be to buy a hand gun in the state of Michigan?

I was wondering if any one could answer this question. I am an 18 year old, conservative who supports open carry, but I have been told you can buy a hand gun at the age of 18. I have always though you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun. I also know you can receive a hand gun as a gift when you are 18, as long as the gun has been ownd for more than 6 months.
    I would just like to know for my own peronal use.
    Thank you, cody waterman

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by codywaterman View Post
    I was wondering if any one could answer this question. I am an 18 year old, conservative who supports open carry, but I have been told you can buy a hand gun at the age of 18. I have always though you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun. I also know you can receive a hand gun as a gift when you are 18, as long as the gun has been ownd for more than 6 months.
    I would just like to know for my own peronal use.
    Thank you, cody waterman
    You can buy a handgun at 18 from an individual or be gifted a handgun. You can not buy a handgun from a FFL dealer and you can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21.

Keep in mind many rifles take handgun ammo.
    Last edited by Venator; 10-28-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    Special offer - buy a copy of "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" and get a free copy of "Bond of Unseen Blood" Go to http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    You can buy a handgun at 18 from an individual or be gifted a handgun. You can not buy a handgun from a FFL dealer and you can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21.

I am not aware of any law that prohibits 18-20 year olds from buying components to reload for handguns. And let's face it, at 18-20 in this state most aren't making enough money to shoot any large quantity of factory ammo.
    Blind unity is liberty inverted.

im 18 and own handguns legally,just gotta go through a private transfer.

for handgun ammo,just buy it off the internet,have somebody buy it for you or buy handgun caliber rounds for long arms/carbines.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    im 18 and own handguns legally,just gotta go through a private transfer.

for handgun ammo,just buy it off the internet,have somebody buy it for you or buy handgun caliber rounds for long arms/carbines.

INTERNET?

I don't have the law in front of me, but I cannot imagine that is legal. Loaded ammo shipped across state lines definitely falls under the authority of the feds, and I sincerely doubt that FFL's are permitted to sell to minors as long as they ship across state lines. Furthermore, every web based store I have bought handgun ammo from has wanted a copy of my ID to verify 21+ age.

I do not suggest you do this, nor do I suggest you encourage others 18-20 to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by codywaterman View Post
    I also know you can receive a hand gun as a gift when you are 18, as long as the gun has been ownd for more than 6 months.
    There is not a time-frame in either Federal nor State of Michigan Law that requires a 6 month ownership by another person... if you have information otherwise, please share with us.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    INTERNET?

I don't have the law in front of me, but I cannot imagine that is legal. Loaded ammo shipped across state lines definitely falls under the authority of the feds, and I sincerely doubt that FFL's are permitted to sell to minors as long as they ship across state lines. Furthermore, every web based store I have bought handgun ammo from has wanted a copy of my ID to verify 21+ age.

I do not suggest you do this, nor do I suggest you encourage others 18-20 to try it.

I have ammo shipped to me from cabelas and have never had to send a copy of my ID that I recall
    Last edited by choover; 10-28-2010 at 03:20 PM.

DT
    Last edited by choover; 10-28-2010 at 03:19 PM.

INTERNET?

I have bought Corbon ammo direct from the manufacture. No copy of my ID was required. If memory serves me correct, I had to check a box stating I was 21. Also it comes UPS and requires a signature of someone 21+.

ive ordered ammo off the internet before,no ID required.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post

This is correct. 18 to buy a hand gun from someone other then an FFL, 21 to by from an FFL.

Rifle or shotgun 18 from a private person or FFL.

INTERNET?

I've bought all kinds of ammo through the internet, no ID required, no hassles. Only way I could find 7.62x25mm ammo.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 FS Tactical .45ACP Carried Condition 1.
    OR Taurus PT92AFS 9x19mm.
    Yes, I've decided I'm the Grammar & Spelling "Police." At least once in a while.

I am not aware of any law that prohibits 18-20 year olds from buying components to reload for handguns. And let's face it, at 18-20 in this state most aren't making enough money to shoot any large quantity of factory ammo.
    You want to be careful with this, never-ever use reloads as self defense rounds, it opens you up to a can of worms that you wont believe. I read a article by Massob Ayoub awhile back about this very thing and how Prosecutors twisted it that you were looking to kill somebody cause you "MADE" these devastating rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    You want to be careful with this, never-ever use reloads as self defense rounds, it opens you up to a can of worms that you wont believe. I read a article by Massob Ayoub awhile back about this very thing and how Prosecutors twisted it that you were looking to kill somebody cause you "MADE" these devastating rounds.
    Any links to Cases on this and Case Law? It might make an interesting read!

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    Any links to Cases on this and Case Law? It might make an interesting read!
    I'll see what I can find, I want to say I read it in a issue of COMBAT HANDGUNS but I cant be sure, I also have a link to M. Ayoub's pesonal web site some where let me find it, I'll post it-that might be a good place to start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post

The only time I've seen anyone take any substantial effort to show a case for this mattering it was that same one, when Massad Ayoob compiled a fairly shaky list of stories which convinced me of almost nothing. You could make a similar argument for carrying any modern high performance ammo, and why we should all stick to .32 FMJ's.

It's kind of like the old wives tail that most guns will explode in protest if you put Wolf ammo through them in any quantity. It's said so often that eventually everyone gets around to believing it. Kind of like "CCW means you have to keep it concealed!!!"

I don't consider it an issue, and for that matter neither does my lawyer. I've probably had to explain this 50 times in the past 2 years. Perhaps I should make my signature about it.

One last word of advice for anyone and everyone who carries. If you shoot someone, far more important than who loaded the ammo is that you survive. Furthermore, if you prefer reloads for carry and are paranoid about people knowing it, simply don't tell anyone, including if you ever end up having to shoot an attacker, and then it will simply be anyones guess who made your ammo. You, your neighbor, a professional you bought it from when you saw it at a gun show table, it won't matter because no one will know.

Banned
    There is nothing wrong with carrying reloads for SD. they are more accurate if done properly. I just like the way PDX1s act on target, If I could buy just the bullet itself, I wouldn't hesitate to reload them, and carry it as my primary round.

I read Massod's writing on it in one of the FMG publications and he has been IN COURT testifying as an Expert witness in cases where handloads were used. I have to agree with his assesment if you load say a light .357 mag for say control issues and you say you shot from 5 ft but because the light load there is no stipling the prosicution is going to say you shot from a greater distance. Also your loading notes won't be admissable, and any 1st yr law student wouldn't allow the unspend rounds left in the gun to be test fired as they will claim Distruction of evidance. SO if you use FACTORY loads the factory load specs. ARE admissable and factory loads could be bought to do any test firing needed with out destroying the evidance. You are covered both ways. And modern factory loads can be bought that are more than sufficent to end any self defence situation you might come across. Just my Oppinion thanx for listening

These are serious questions... there is no sarcasm or anything intended. And I'm saying that upfront so there is no misunderstanding.

"What, exactly, is/are the benefits in actual performance... be that recoil control, accuracy, bullet performance after impact, or whatever, between factory and hand reload ammo under the actual circumstances/dynamics of a self defense scenario? And, if there are benefits are those benefits large enough/significant enough to actually make a difference in a for real situation?"

And....

"Is the reloading thing more of a personal preference than an actual real world advantage?"

Please remember.... I'm asking these questions in all seriousness!!!!
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyMarbles View Post
    I read Massod's writing on it in one of the FMG publications and he has been IN COURT testifying as an Expert witness in cases where handloads were used. I have to agree with his assesment if you load say a light .357 mag for say control issues and you say you shot from 5 ft but because the light load there is no stipling the prosicution is going to say you shot from a greater distance. Also your loading notes won't be admissable, and any 1st yr law student wouldn't allow the unspend rounds left in the gun to be test fired as they will claim Distruction of evidance. SO if you use FACTORY loads the factory load specs. ARE admissable and factory loads could be bought to do any test firing needed with out destroying the evidance. You are covered both ways. And modern factory loads can be bought that are more than sufficent to end any self defence situation you might come across. Just my Oppinion thanx for listening
    Frankly, if I wait for a BG to get within 5 feet before I fire, I'm committing suicide. Shame on me.
    Big Gay Al
    Yes, I've decided I'm the Grammar & Spelling "Police." At least once in a while.

Banned
    Factory bullets are made to general specifications to work well in all firearms. With reloads, one can tailor the bullets to fit their particular gun. Anything can affect accuracy and performance. Bullet weight, bullet hardness, jacket selection, powder selection, powder amount, primer type and brand, the seating depth of the round, the case diameter and length all contribute to how the bullets function both in the gun, in flight, and on target.

Anyone who wants to get the most out of their guns will reload, whether it be a sniper, a world record shooter, a serious hunter, or competition shooters. Reloading for self defense makes sense. Groups in a 1911 for instance, can be reduced by inches at distances of only several yards, recoil, mussle flash, smoke, and overpenetration are reduced, then a safer round has been made. Loading a heavy round at maximum or over maximum pressures would almost certainly result in a decrease in accuracy, and possible damage to the gun, the shooter, and bystanders.

Lastly, a reloader spends much more time studying the ins and outs of things gun related, working on and test firing his/her loads, and because of the cost savings involved, typically becomes a much better shot than your average shooter. More rangetime = better shooter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Frankly, if I wait for a BG to get within 5 feet before I fire, I'm committing suicide. Shame on me.
    Statistics have shown, that most of your SD gunfights are going to be within 0 to 15 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Statistics have shown, that most of your SD gunfights are going to be within 0 to 15 feet.
    I'm relatively sure that the "victim" didn't wait any longer than they had to, before pulling their weapon. But there's the problem of surprise. Which is why we need to be aware of the situation around us at all times. If you let a guy with a knife get within 20 feet, you're likely gonna be hurting.
    Big Gay Al

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    It was just a random number. The point was that with ferensic science playing a far greater role in the court room than ever, The more items you can control that meet EVIDENTURAY STANDARDS the better you will fare in the court room. That being said if you are useing handloads for SD you forfit that as they WILL NOT allow your loading notes as evidance. and they WILL NOT test fire the remaing rounds in the gun to get the data that could be the deciding factor in whether or not your shoot was justified. I am of the oppinion that any slight advantage you gain from a hand load over factory is not significant enuff to risk any possible loss of evidance that could help me in the court room.

This is my oppinion and I welcome any coments that might change it but please don't flame me if you disagree as I would never force you to accept it as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    These are serious questions... there is no sarcasm or anything intended. And I'm saying that upfront so there is no misunderstanding.

"What, exactly, is/are the benefits in actual performance... be that recoil control, accuracy, bullet performance after impact, or whatever, between factory and hand reload ammo under the actual circumstances/dynamics of a self defense scenario? And, if there are benefits are those benefits large enough/significant enough to actually make a difference in a for real situation?"

And....

"Is the reloading thing more of a personal preference than an actual real world advantage?"

Please remember.... I'm asking these questions in all seriousness!!!!
    I am a handloader myself(rifle/shotgun no pistol yet), and as others have stated you can play around with bullets and charges to see what YOUR gun likes, it would blow your mind how different guns like different loads even within the same model, personally I think it has to do with the shooter as much as the gun but thats me. And I tend to load my shells to max specs. both brass and shotshell but again thats just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast