• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How old do you have to be to buy a hand gun in the state of Michigan?

codywaterman

I was wondering if any one could answer this question. I am an 18 year old, conservative who supports open carry, but I have been told you can buy a hand gun at the age of 18. I have always though you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun. I also know you can receive a hand gun as a gift when you are 18, as long as the gun has been ownd for more than 6 months.
I would just like to know for my own peronal use.
Thank you, cody waterman

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was wondering if any one could answer this question. I am an 18 year old, conservative who supports open carry, but I have been told you can buy a hand gun at the age of 18. I have always though you have to be 21 to buy a hand gun. I also know you can receive a hand gun as a gift when you are 18, as long as the gun has been ownd for more than 6 months.
I would just like to know for my own peronal use.
Thank you, cody waterman
You can buy a handgun at 18 from an individual or be gifted a handgun. You can not buy a handgun from a FFL dealer and you can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21.

Keep in mind many rifles take handgun ammo.

Last edited:

Michigander

You can buy a handgun at 18 from an individual or be gifted a handgun. You can not buy a handgun from a FFL dealer and you can't buy handgun ammo until you are 21.

I am not aware of any law that prohibits 18-20 year olds from buying components to reload for handguns. And let's face it, at 18-20 in this state most aren't making enough money to shoot any large quantity of factory ammo. ;)

lil_freak_66

im 18 and own handguns legally,just gotta go through a private transfer.

for handgun ammo,just buy it off the internet,have somebody buy it for you or buy handgun caliber rounds for long arms/carbines.

Michigander

im 18 and own handguns legally,just gotta go through a private transfer.

for handgun ammo,just buy it off the internet,have somebody buy it for you or buy handgun caliber rounds for long arms/carbines.

INTERNET?

I don't have the law in front of me, but I cannot imagine that is legal. Loaded ammo shipped across state lines definitely falls under the authority of the feds, and I sincerely doubt that FFL's are permitted to sell to minors as long as they ship across state lines. Furthermore, every web based store I have bought handgun ammo from has wanted a copy of my ID to verify 21+ age.

I do not suggest you do this, nor do I suggest you encourage others 18-20 to try it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I also know you can receive a hand gun as a gift when you are 18, as long as the gun has been ownd for more than 6 months.

There is not a time-frame in either Federal nor State of Michigan Law that requires a 6 month ownership by another person... if you have information otherwise, please share with us.

choover

INTERNET?

I don't have the law in front of me, but I cannot imagine that is legal. Loaded ammo shipped across state lines definitely falls under the authority of the feds, and I sincerely doubt that FFL's are permitted to sell to minors as long as they ship across state lines. Furthermore, every web based store I have bought handgun ammo from has wanted a copy of my ID to verify 21+ age.

I do not suggest you do this, nor do I suggest you encourage others 18-20 to try it.

I have ammo shipped to me from cabelas and have never had to send a copy of my ID that I recall

Last edited:

budlight

INTERNET?

I have bought Corbon ammo direct from the manufacture. No copy of my ID was required. If memory serves me correct, I had to check a box stating I was 21. Also it comes UPS and requires a signature of someone 21+.

budlight

This is correct. 18 to buy a hand gun from someone other then an FFL, 21 to by from an FFL.

Rifle or shotgun 18 from a private person or FFL.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
INTERNET?

I've bought all kinds of ammo through the internet, no ID required, no hassles. Only way I could find 7.62x25mm ammo.

Rasher

I am not aware of any law that prohibits 18-20 year olds from buying components to reload for handguns. And let's face it, at 18-20 in this state most aren't making enough money to shoot any large quantity of factory ammo. ;)

You want to be careful with this, never-ever use reloads as self defense rounds, it opens you up to a can of worms that you wont believe. I read a article by Massob Ayoub awhile back about this very thing and how Prosecutors twisted it that you were looking to kill somebody cause you "MADE" these devastating rounds.

PDinDetroit

You want to be careful with this, never-ever use reloads as self defense rounds, it opens you up to a can of worms that you wont believe. I read a article by Massob Ayoub awhile back about this very thing and how Prosecutors twisted it that you were looking to kill somebody cause you "MADE" these devastating rounds.

Any links to Cases on this and Case Law? It might make an interesting read!

Rasher

Any links to Cases on this and Case Law? It might make an interesting read!

I'll see what I can find, I want to say I read it in a issue of COMBAT HANDGUNS but I cant be sure, I also have a link to M. Ayoub's pesonal web site some where let me find it, I'll post it-that might be a good place to start looking.

Michigander

The only time I've seen anyone take any substantial effort to show a case for this mattering it was that same one, when Massad Ayoob compiled a fairly shaky list of stories which convinced me of almost nothing. You could make a similar argument for carrying any modern high performance ammo, and why we should all stick to .32 FMJ's.

It's kind of like the old wives tail that most guns will explode in protest if you put Wolf ammo through them in any quantity. It's said so often that eventually everyone gets around to believing it. Kind of like "CCW means you have to keep it concealed!!!"

I don't consider it an issue, and for that matter neither does my lawyer. I've probably had to explain this 50 times in the past 2 years. Perhaps I should make my signature about it.

One last word of advice for anyone and everyone who carries. If you shoot someone, far more important than who loaded the ammo is that you survive. Furthermore, if you prefer reloads for carry and are paranoid about people knowing it, simply don't tell anyone, including if you ever end up having to shoot an attacker, and then it will simply be anyones guess who made your ammo. You, your neighbor, a professional you bought it from when you saw it at a gun show table, it won't matter because no one will know.

stainless1911

Banned
There is nothing wrong with carrying reloads for SD. they are more accurate if done properly. I just like the way PDX1s act on target, If I could buy just the bullet itself, I wouldn't hesitate to reload them, and carry it as my primary round.

CharleyMarbles

I read Massod's writing on it in one of the FMG publications and he has been IN COURT testifying as an Expert witness in cases where handloads were used. I have to agree with his assesment if you load say a light .357 mag for say control issues and you say you shot from 5 ft but because the light load there is no stipling the prosicution is going to say you shot from a greater distance. Also your loading notes won't be admissable, and any 1st yr law student wouldn't allow the unspend rounds left in the gun to be test fired as they will claim Distruction of evidance. SO if you use FACTORY loads the factory load specs. ARE admissable and factory loads could be bought to do any test firing needed with out destroying the evidance. You are covered both ways. And modern factory loads can be bought that are more than sufficent to end any self defence situation you might come across. Just my Oppinion thanx for listening:)

B

Bikenut

These are serious questions... there is no sarcasm or anything intended. And I'm saying that upfront so there is no misunderstanding.

"What, exactly, is/are the benefits in actual performance... be that recoil control, accuracy, bullet performance after impact, or whatever, between factory and hand reload ammo under the actual circumstances/dynamics of a self defense scenario? And, if there are benefits are those benefits large enough/significant enough to actually make a difference in a for real situation?"

And....

"Is the reloading thing more of a personal preference than an actual real world advantage?"

Please remember.... I'm asking these questions in all seriousness!!!!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I read Massod's writing on it in one of the FMG publications and he has been IN COURT testifying as an Expert witness in cases where handloads were used. I have to agree with his assesment if you load say a light .357 mag for say control issues and you say you shot from 5 ft but because the light load there is no stipling the prosicution is going to say you shot from a greater distance. Also your loading notes won't be admissable, and any 1st yr law student wouldn't allow the unspend rounds left in the gun to be test fired as they will claim Distruction of evidance. SO if you use FACTORY loads the factory load specs. ARE admissable and factory loads could be bought to do any test firing needed with out destroying the evidance. You are covered both ways. And modern factory loads can be bought that are more than sufficent to end any self defence situation you might come across. Just my Oppinion thanx for listening:)
Frankly, if I wait for a BG to get within 5 feet before I fire, I'm committing suicide. Shame on me.