• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appropriate attire to OC

Kingfish

I have heard many times that one needs to have a "neat" and "clean cut" appearance if they are going to OC. I call BS on this.

It is my personal experience that choise of appearance has ZERO to do with if someone will be treated poorly while OCing....One might be treated better if clean shaven in khakis and a polo sportin a buzz cut (cop look) but I don't think this is a requirement to OC.

I am 40yo with long hair and a beard, over 6 foot tall and a bit overweight. In the evenings and weekends I wear unironed and sometimes tussled shorts, t-shirt and sandals or hiking boots. I look like an old hippy.

I don't freak out soccer moms and I don't get proned out by LE.

I have OCed in ripped old dirty clothes covered in grease going into town to get a starter for the old truck, noone ran screaming from the gas station or parts store.

If we want OC to become mainstream then we can't all try to look like cops. We need to be just ordinary folks.

If you wanna dress "nice" and be "clean cut" then that is great. But don't try to tell those of us who prefer comfort over style and choose not to shave that we shouldn't OC unless we conform to some kind of arbitrary standard.

eye95

This does not belong in the Alabama forum. The General forum (or your Georgia forum) would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

Kingfish

I put it in the Alabama forum because that is where the discussion started. I did not want to take the topic where this was discussed anymore off topic. Also since I do visit AL I thought that since there apparently is a requirement in AL to dress nice that I needed some more information.

Since OC attire is apparently not an issue in GA then there is no real reason to put it there.

Putting it in General discussion is fine though.

Jack House

Seems rather elitist, doesn't it?

"You have to dress and act the way we say else you are unfit to be one of us, to OC."

zack991

"A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it." -Jeff Cooper

Those who TELL you how to live I have no respect for. I have respect for those who give a factually opinion but don't force me to agree with them, but allow me to decide for myself.

Last edited:

eye95

"A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it." -Jeff Cooper

Good quote. The problem that I noted earlier is that "giving advice" was interpreted as "telling." "Giving advice" is more like showing a way ("the right way" is an opinion), not "forcing."

I advise dressing neatly when carrying. All are, of course, free to ignore this advice.

Folks may feel free to say that I can't "tell" them how to dress. I've made my point, and, barring anything new or startling developing here, I'll just quietly bow out.

DCKilla

No dress code for me, thanks. It's a t-shirt or polo untucked for me. My pants vary from cargo, khakis, jeans, and shorts (If I'm feeling frisky). I might even wear a baseball cap with a WSU Cougar on the front.

Last edited:

Kingfish

Good quote. The problem that I noted earlier is that "giving advice" was interpreted as "telling." "Giving advice" is more like showing a way ("the right way" is an opinion), not "forcing."
But see, that's the thing. There should not be ONE "right way". Everyone should be able to OC in their daily lives. Everyone just looking like LE does very little for the cause of OCing in daily life.

It is bad advise and tells people who do not fit your arbitrary OC dress code that they should not OC. And in places where OC is required you are telling them not to carry at all.

Nevada carrier

where what you like. I like a clean cut professional look, Shirt with a collar, tucked in hair and beard neatly trimmed, but none of those things define a law abiding citizen. I know plenty of guys who look like bikers right out of prison who are some of the most mild mannered and civilized people on earth. I judge people based on their actions and their behavior, not on stereotypes.

4angrybadgers

My two cents:

Most of what I've seen on OCDO (which is an incomplete sample, of course) isn't folks telling others how to dress to OC. What I've seen in several threads over time is folks explaining that dressing "somewhat respectably" (it goes without saying that the standard varies from person to person) may mitigate some of the negative encounters people have.

Like it or not, people stereotype you based on how you look, walk, talk, and act. It's a fact of life. If someone decides to OC in frayed cutoff jeans and a Grateful Dead tank top, like it or not, that person may get extra "attention" than if he or she were wearing non-trashed jeans/khakis and a polo shirt. Again, like it or not, it's just what happens when you move amongst the sea of humanity. While we would like for that to change, and for OC to be viewed as normal no matter how you're dressed, it isn't at this time.

If that doesn't deter you, then dress as you wish. Just be aware that your appearance and manners may affect how you are viewed and treated by others.

Kingfish

Most of what I've seen on OCDO (which is an incomplete sample, of course) isn't folks telling others how to dress to OC. What I've seen in several threads over time is folks explaining that dressing "somewhat respectably" (it goes without saying that the standard varies from person to person) may mitigate some of the negative encounters people have.
Someone giving advice to a new OCer that they should dress "neat" and be "clean cut" is very bad advice. We should be encouraging people to OC in their daily life not trying to mandate how they look. If we want to have a conversation about why you believe that the way you dress is better than the way I dress is fine but telling new OCers that they must be "neat" and "clean cut" or they shouldn't OC (or carry at all for that matter) is quite irresponsible.

While we would like for that to change, and for OC to be viewed as normal no matter how you're dressed, it isn't at this time.
And it will never change if all the public ever sees is LEO types OCing. They need to see people of all types OCing. Should women have had to keep their ankles covered because people were just not used to seeing women wear what they choose?

If that doesn't deter you, then dress as you wish. Just be aware that your appearance and manners may affect how you are viewed and treated by others.
It does not and I will. The thoughts and actions of others have no bearing on my life. Should I shave my beard or cut my hair because some blue hair church lady does not like it? Should I have my tattoos removed because some get upset at the site of ink?

When I first thought about OCing I almost decided not to because of this attitude...."You need to be clean cut and have a neat appearance." I am very glad I decided not to listen to that advice.

Kingfish

It never ceases to amaze me who "advise" and "mandate" can be confused.
How does a new OCer know the difference? If the old hats with a high post counts say things like...

Also, you shouldn't have to, but it does pay to be clean cut and decently dressed while OC-ing.
Which is saying that "It ain't right but you "have to" be clean cut and dressed well" in order to OC.

and
It is possible to have long hair and a beard and to wear jeans and a t-shirt and maintain a neat appearance.
Which is saying "as long as your beard is trimmed short and your hair is brushed and clean and in a pony tail you can OC but don't try it in ripped jeans or a scruffy beard or a leather jacket."

It is telling those new to OC that they should not bother if they are not willing to fit your arbitrary dress code.

You have no evidence (even anecdotally) that your "right way" is the right way.

So, you are actively discouraging a segment of the population that may otherwise OC (or carry at all) who either cannot afford to, don't know how to, are just uncomfortable or don't want to fitting into your arbitrary "neat" and "clean cut" OC "suggestion".

eye95

:banghead:

You know what is so great about banging your head on a wall?

It feels so good when you stop.

Stopping.

Last edited:

COMMANDER1911

Personally, I wear whatever the hell I want to when I OC. If I get my my rights violated by an LEO because I don't look like I should carry a gun, then he and the department will have a lawsuit coming their way. If I scare some anti so bad she soils herself in the middle of Walmart because my jeans are dirty and I have a .45, then I suggest she wears a depends. It's not complete freedom if there are stipulations. And isn't that what we all want? unrestricted constitutional carry?

rotorhead

Personally, I wear whatever the hell I want to when I OC. If I get my my rights violated by an LEO because I don't look like I should carry a gun, then he and the department will have a lawsuit coming their way. If I scare some anti so bad she soils herself in the middle of Walmart because my jeans are dirty and I have a .45, then I suggest she wears a depends. It's not complete freedom if there are stipulations. And isn't that what we all want? unrestricted constitutional carry?

Bingo.

One shouldn't feel like he/ she has to change out of their norm simply because they happen to be carrying. Clean cut, shabby, soaked in Vitalis, ripped jeans, shirts with weirdo reptiles on them, sandals, boots, suspenders, whatever....

Just be yourself, whatever you may be.

GWbiker

Are you telling us Georgia now has unrestricted Constitutional Carry of a handgun? (No CCW permit for CC)