• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

knives

revolverrandy

So techinically,carrying even a folding jacknife in your pocket in Wisconsin is illegal and the law could choose to be jerks with it and treat it as a concealed weapon?
I don't see or read much anywheres regarding knives.I am guessing though,that many people don't view many types of knives as a concealed weapon when technically they could be defined one.Like a guy having a hunting knife or a folding pocket knife in a sheath on thier belt or a folding jacknife in their pocket.
Has there been much issues with these kinds of things at all?Is it viewed by the law as a tool and not a weapon or where does this sit in Wi?

RR_Broccoli

Whatever you do, don't admit it's a weapon.

"For protection" = bad

"Use it to open boxes at work" = neutral

(This applies to anything a police officer may ask you about. Act like using whatever it is as a weapon is the farthest thing from your mind, whatever it is, you use that thing for it's regular purpose.)

I think the limit for a folder in the pocket is something like 3 or 2.5 inches, which is still a useful knife. If you want a bigger one, don't conceal it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
I think the limit for a folder in the pocket is something like 3 or 2.5 inches, which is still a useful knife. If you want a bigger one, don't conceal it.
.§ 941.23 prohibits concealment of a dangerous weapon. § 939.22(10) definition of a dangerous weapon is not limited to any particular device or intrinsic characteristic, like blade length.

Last edited:

anmut

.§ 941.23 prohibits concealment of a dangerous weapon. § 939.22(10) definition of a dangerous weapon is not limited to any particular device or intrinsic characteristic, like blade length.

Nice broad language there. When are we going to stop relying on lawyers to run our government?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I'll try to find citations went I get the time, but my understanding is that a "weapon" is:

a) something designed to be used as a weapon (this would include some knives, but not all)

or--

b) something that is not designed as a weapon, but is used as one. (examples: a baseball bat, tire iron, and all those knives that aren't designed as weapons, e.g., Swiss Army Knife, box cutter, kitchen knife....)

If this is true, then one theoretically could conceal all sort of knives, provided they aren't of a weapon design or employed as a weapon. Some knives-- including many so-called "tactical" designs are designed to be both utility and fighting knives-- might complicate things.

As someone with a fairly large knife collection, I have a number of knives that are not only specifically designed as fighters, but as offensive weapons, e.g., the classic Gerber Mark II.

Captain Nemo

Just remember, in Milwaukee county if the knife has a blade longer than three inches it is considered a dangerous weapon. Same rule applies in Bayside, Racine, Wauwatosa.

Milwaukee co. 63.015
Bayside 62-266
Racine 66-56
Wauwatosa 7.92.0.10

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 939, CRIMES — GENERAL PROVISIONS

§ 939.22 Words and phrases defined. In chs. 939 to 948 and 951, the following words and phrases have the designated meanings unless the context of a specific section manifestly requires a different construction or the word or phrase is defined in s. 948.01 for purposes of ch. 948:
[ ... ]
(10) “Dangerous weapon” means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any ligature or other instrumentality used on the throat, neck, nose, or mouth of another person to impede, partially or completely, breathing or circulation
of blood; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (4); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

And § 66.0409 applies to 'firearms'.