Thread: Walker - Disorderly Conduct Law needs revision

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Walker - Disorderly Conduct Law needs revision

http://www.rhinelanderdailynews.com/...d702918720.txt

...Walker says the state’s disorderly conduct statute needs to be clarified to prevent police from arresting citizens for disorderly conduct merely for legally and openly carrying firearms...
    last paragraph.

I hadn't seen this before.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    I agree with Scott in concept with what he is saying. My only issue is that JB Van Hollen ALREADY CLARIFIED the DC statute.

If cities like Madison who GOT the memo are going to ignore it, what we need is not clarification, its punishment for the cities that IGNORE the clarification that was already issued.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman View Post
    I agree with Scott in concept with what he is saying. My only issue is that JB Van Hollen ALREADY CLARIFIED the DC statute.

If cities like Madison who GOT the memo are going to ignore it, what we need is not clarification, its punishment for the cities that IGNORE the clarification that was already issued.
    I agree!!

I do disagree with Walker, however, that concealed carry will eliminate the problem.

Some ninny will still call the cops because my t-shirt doesn't always fit over my fat ass and my gun will pop out. The police need to know how to deal with it properly no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I agree!!

I do disagree with Walker, however, that concealed carry will eliminate the problem.

Some ninny will still call the cops because my t-shirt doesn't always fit over my fat ass and my gun will pop out. The police need to know how to deal with it properly no matter what.
    Indeed. conceal carry will mask the problem in many cases, but won't solve the problem.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Founder's Club Member bnhcomputing's Avatar
    Except for a few of the colder months, concealed carry won't matter to me either. I OC today, will tomorrow, and intend to continue to OC after WI has CCW.

I agree!!

I never found a good way to CC. If at 3 o clock, my lub handles receive too much pressure from my holster and I get some chaffing, evening with an undershirt. If somewhere between 3-6 o clock, I print. And there is no way I'm carrying 12-3 o clock!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Yup, I agree. For me personally, OC is the most practical most of the time.

In the winter I'll throw a jacket on that may partially conceal. If I'm going to a crowded event where there is shoulder to shoulder people (concert/festival) I'll likely get an armpit holster and go concealed, but most of the time OC is just the most practical way to carry.

I think people who don't carry at all now, will realize as soon as they start to CC (when that becomes legal) that they will want a choice of how to carry depending on the situation and not want government telling them how they HAVE to carry.

Banned
    I agree with Scott in concept with what he is saying. My only issue is that JB Van Hollen ALREADY CLARIFIED the DC statute....
    Right.

It makes me nervous when lawmakers seek to "clarify" a statute as they can also bungle it up even further. The DC statute was one of the ones I was tried for and found not guilty of and the language was exceptionally written and very clear.

It takes a real effort to be disorderly and any "clarification" may only muddy the water.

Spartacus got this one right. Too often when politicians set out to build a horse we end up with a camel.

The solution of conceal carry v open carry is recind statute 941.23 so we have what Article I section 25 intended, CHOICE of CARRY.

I agree!!

CC is nice, but until everyone gets used to guns in public, we all will run the risk of unwarranted hassles.

We shouldn't need a permit for either.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    CC is nice, but until everyone gets used to guns in public, we all will run the risk of unwarranted hassles.
    In my own personal experience and and a year and a half of keeping up with the experiences of other OC'ers in Wisconsin the ONLY hassles I've ever heard of associated with OC were instigated by the police. All other interactions definitely don't rise anywhere close to the level of hassles.

I thought I had seen that Walker would sign the first CC bill that crosses his desk. Just thinking, has anyone started to write this bill? I would think that the state would respect a bill handed to it from its own people. If we do not put it togeather, I bet outside people will "help" make it for us. I would also bet if the bill is not from us, a permit will be installed into law. I would love to draw this bill up, but I do not have the skill or understanding of law that is needed.
    Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I thought I had seen that Walker would sign the first CC bill that crosses his desk. Just thinking, has anyone started to write this bill? I would think that the state would respect a bill handed to it from its own people. If we do not put it togeather, I bet outside people will "help" make it for us. I would also bet if the bill is not from us, a permit will be installed into law. I would love to draw this bill up, but I do not have the skill or understanding of law that is needed.
    Any takers?
    Considering there is en election next tuesday that will send a while new assembly and half of the state senate to Madison we don't even know who will be where until tuesday.

Come Wednesday we should know who is in and immediately set out to find ONE legislator willing to introduce a repeal of 941.23.

Unfortunately the "state" doesn't respect anything handed to it from its people. There is a legislative process and we could certainly offer language to a bill to a legislator to introduce.

A repeal of 941.23 seems to be pretty basic language in my opinion. We just need to see who's in on Wednesday and start ringing phones and making contact .

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Learn how the Wisconsin government works. Read the Blue Book.

The Legislative Reference Bureau writes ALL legislation at the request of and with input from legislators.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/rss/bluebook.xml

Ahh, what a well timed retort. Too bad I edited out the ad homina.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-29-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    The Legislative Reference Bureau writes ALL legislation at the request of and with input from legislators.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/rss/bluebook.xml

Ahh, what a well timed retort. Too bad I edited out the ad homina.
    .....and the LRB staffers writing the legislation are failed attorneys living in Madison who copy laws from Minnesota....
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

I prefer CC myself.
    A shoulder holster or behind my hip solves all my issues.

ckmorley
    Anti-gunners tell us to run away from muggers. What about those of us who can't run ?

In my own personal experience and and a year and a half of keeping up with the experiences of other OC'ers in Wisconsin the ONLY hassles I've ever heard of associated with OC were instigated by the police. All other interactions definitely don't rise anywhere close to the level of hassles.
    The police aren't the only ones I'm concerned with. Problem is, one person with a bug up their butt and a cell phone can send the police my way to hassle and or arrest me. It's both the cell phone gestapo and the Police who need to be desensitized.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Some States: Utah, Arizona, and others; have already passed an Open Carry Bill that specifically allows:
    1. Persons to Openly Carry Firearms, AND
    2. To communicate to another that the Firearm is being Openly Carried.
    *** Open Carry is Legal anyway, these Laws were passed to protect against Disorderly and Reckless Conduct Charges. ***

Banned
    Ahhh but an assemblyman can bring forward a state assemby bill (AB) to the table for legislation, which if passed then goes on to the state senate where the bill then picks up sponsors in the senate. From there if it passes it is drafted into law and then signed or vetoed by the Governor.

My suggestion, if waiting until after election, start with Krista Burns.
    Hell ask her now so she can get things started.
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 10-30-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Ahhh but an assemblyman can bring forward a state assemby bill (AB)...
    So to what are you taking exception - the "but"?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    So to what are you taking exception - the "but"?
    no butts here!

Banned
    Good! If we can get a tame legislator in our pocket, one not under the influence of (edited by moderator, do not attack other gun rights organizations/groups), then we may have a voice in the legislature. Trust and verify!

Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    no butts here!
    I may not have a high post count, or have been a member here for years. I can not post legal cases off the top of my head, but i do know there are a few "butts" here!

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by bnhcomputing View Post
    Except for a few of the colder months, concealed carry won't matter to me either. I OC today, will tomorrow, and intend to continue to OC after WI has CCW.
    ditto