• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When I person is open carrying and an officer asks the said person for I.D.

boyscout399

I guess it is to where we pick our battles. You choose to fight and argue with LEO’s while I take an “Active” stance in fighting Meth cookers, drug dealers and gang bangers.

To that end is why I have a need to carry at all. I have two different gang bangers that have made it very clear that I am a dead man walking. They are of one of the largest gangs in the U.S.

See I choose to make a stand against them so the neighborhood will be safer for your children; I have no children of my own.

So instead of baiting the cops to video tape them I video tape drug deals, instead of taking LEO’s to court I take Bangers to court.
I guess it is up to the individual to determine what side of the law they choose to stand on!

Note:
I have done a fast search for a law that was changed without going to a vote and I find none. All constitutional law changes have been put to a vote first.

I could be mistaken but I could not find such evidence.
So instead of baiting cops go vote!

This seems like a very trollish post. I don't believe many of us are "baiting" cops by choosing to go armed and then standing up for our rights if they are violated. I also think it's immature to take a "holier than thou" attitude by saying you take an active roll in combating meth cookers. What makes you think that standing up for your rights and being against meth cookers are somehow mutually exclusive? That's the most laughable argument I've heard yet.

What is your point about voting? What difference do laws make if they are not followed on the street? If the LEO is violating the law shouldn't he be stood up to just like if the meth cooker is violating the law he should be stopped?

Also, laws are voted on by representative politicians. Very rarely are laws put up to a vote by the people.

eye95

He is presenting false choices to make himself seem superior.

We confront LEO's stepping on our rights. He is out there fighting crime by Meth cookers! :banana:

The two activities are not mutually exclusive. However, I must admit that I am not hunting down Meth cookers. If one crosses my path with nefarious intent, I'll fight crime all over his butt!

We confront LEOs stepping on our rights. He votes.

No, wait, I do both.

This guy has no intent to have an honest debate. I'm going to go ahead and toss him on the ignore heap. Too bad. I really enjoy an honest back-and-forth with those who can disagree civilly.

RR_Broccoli

I'll just leave this here.

cartman-respect-my-authority-69944.jpg

hogeaterf6

So what do you all do when asked for your ID to cash a check, buy booze, get into a club? Or you get into a accident and cop ask for your ID. You did no crime so he doesnt need it does he?

Point is you are asked for ID everyday and no one puts up a fight.

Guess I'm lucky that most if not all the cops know me in my town and I only open carry it here. I go to 10+ States a year, some that dont honor my LTHG so I dont open carry. Never had any problems.

Sometimes its better to show ID and be on your way...

eye95

So what do you all do when asked for your ID to cash a check, buy booze, get into a club? Or you get into a accident and cop ask for your ID. You did no crime so he doesnt need it does he?

Guess I'm lucky that most if not all the cops know me in my town and I only open carry it here. I go to 10+ States a year, some that dont honor my LTHG so I dont open carry. Never had any problems.

For a LEO to ask for ID in many States, including Alabama, he must have reasonable ARTICULABLE suspicion that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit a CRIME.

Unless you live in a State that allows an officer to stop any citizen and demand ID (unconstitutional), refuse to show it until he articulates a REASONABLE suspicion or orders you to under color of law.

Personally, I carry sterile. I carry a second, smaller wallet. In it I keep a debit card, some cash, and a credit card. If a LEO demands my CPL or my DL, they will be in my main wallet, back in my car, the only place it is needed. In case I need photo ID, I will be carrying my retired military ID. Of course, the only way a LEO will find that out is if he violates my rights by searching me.

boyscout399

When I do something that requires ID, I will be glad to provide. That's what the ID is for. I don't drink so no need to buy alcohol. ID is not needed to cash checks at my bank. When I go into a club that requires ID I have no problem providing it because that is a requirement to get into the private establishment. If I get into an accident, or get pulled over because I broke the law and the officer DOES have RAS to request my ID, I gladly provide it. However, if the officer has no RAS to stop me, then his sole purpose in requesting my ID is to try and find something else he can hold me on, so why should I provide that reason for him? What if I had an unpaid ticket or something that I didn't even know about? Now I'm in more trouble, when I could have just been on my way by legally refusing the search.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP For a LEO to ask for ID in many States, including Alabama, he must have reasonable ARTICULABLE suspicion that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit a CRIME.

Unless you live in a State that allows an officer to stop any citizen and demand ID (unconstitutional), refuse to show it until he articulates a REASONABLE suspicion or orders you to under color of law.

Huh!?!?! What!!???? Goddam, that second paragraph makes my head hurt.

First, the cop can ask for anything. There are differences between a decline-able request, a demand, and a statute that compels giving identity info while providing a penalty for refusing.

There is nothing automatically unconstitutional about a stop-and-identify statute that compels giving an identity document. Kolender v Lawson did not say a statutory requirement to give an identity document was unconstitutional. Kolendar v Lawson said California's identity document requirement was unconstitutionally vague about what kind of identity document would meet the requirement, allowing the cop too much discretion about whether to cite someone for violating the stop-and-identify statute. I have read at least one state stop-and-identify statute that was compliant with Kolender v Lawson because it specified the exact two types of documents required to be handed over (drivers license or state-issued ID card), and made an allowance for whether the person had one of those documents on his person.

Now, as to that last paragraph. What!? What!?! WHAT!?!?!?! The RAS-at-inception requirement is part of the US Supreme Court analysis on stop-and-identify statutes (Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, Hiibel v 6th Judicial Court). If the person being stopped does not live in a stop-and-identify state and there is no stop-and-identify local ordinance, why on earth would the OCer withhold identity until the officer provides an RAS if RAS has no bearing on the question since there is no legal authority compelling the OCer to identify? Without a statute or ordinance compelling identity, or perhaps a court opinion, whether the cop has RAS is beside the point for the identity.

Also, how is an OCer supposed to judge whether the cop has genuine RAS? Are OCers really supposed to have read every appellate decision applicable to the jurisdiction of the encounter, state and federal, to know what sets of circumstances and reasonable inferences in light of a cop's experience have already been ruled as sufficient for RAS? And, for any OCers who have done all that reading, are they really supposed to guess about whether their circumstances will or won't be ruled by a trial judge as sufficient to give RAS? An appellate court? Even if the cop truthfully and completely tells the OCer his RAS, how is the OCer going to judge whether the words he hears from the cop will be viewed later as sufficient for RAS?

Please be a little more careful about giving out advices on these topics. By this I don't mean stop. I mean precision is necessary.

And, please provide cites.

Kolender v Lawson:

We conclude § 647(e) [stop-and-identify statute] is unconstitutionally vague on its face because it encourages arbitrary enforcement by failing to describe with sufficient particularity what a suspect must do in order to satisfy the statute.

http://supreme.justia.com/us/461/352/case.html

Brown v Texas:

The application of Tex.Penal Code Ann., Tit. 8, § 38.02 (1974) [the stop-and-identify statute], to detain appellant and require him to identify himself violated the Fourth Amendment because the officers lacked any reasonable suspicion to believe appellant was engaged or had engaged in criminal conduct.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0443_0047_ZO.html

Hiibel v 6th Judicial Court:

[Basically, this case says the Nevada stop-and-identify statute was constitutional, and it says your identity is not protected by 5th Amendment against self-incrimination.]

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-5554.ZO.html

Last edited:

boyscout399

Huh!?!?! What!!???? Goddam, that second paragraph makes my head hurt.

First, the cop can ask for anything. There are differences between a decline-able request, a demand, and a statute that compels giving identity info while providing a penalty for refusing.

So if it's a decline-able request for ID, why are you opposed to a person declining it? Also, simply declining the request does not in and of itself constitute further evidence of wrongdoing to justify further detention.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So if it's a decline-able request for ID, why are you opposed to a person declining it? Also, simply declining the request does not in and of itself constitute further evidence of wrongdoing to justify further detention.

Good heavens! How did you get the idea I am opposed to declining the request?

No, no, no, no! Decline away where not illegal.

Also, cite please for your last sentence.

Ruby

If you only OC in your town, where it's safe and don't OC where it isn't safe, you've already given up your rights!:eek:

boyscout399

Good heavens! How did you get the idea I am opposed to declining the request?

No, no, no, no! Decline away where not illegal.

Also, cite please for your last sentence.

sorry, I mistook your meaning. Chalk it up to not being able to read inflection in an internet post. My apologies :)

As for my last sentence. In the Hiibel decision the court said that the stop must be justified at it's inception and an officer can't arrest for failure to provide ID if the request is not reasonably related to the circumstances justifying the stop.

Finally, addressing Hiibel's concerns that the statute allows police officers to arrest persons just because they look suspicious, the Court noted that under Terry, the stop must be justified at its inception and limited in scope and duration. In other words, an officer may not arrest an individual for merely failing to identify himself if the request for identification is not reasonably related to the circumstances justifying the stop. That is, if a police officer stops a person for no apparent reason and then asks the person for his name, the officer cannot cite the stop-and-identify statute as his basis for a subsequent arrest because there was no lawful basis for the stop in the first place. Link

So if the stop is not justified from the outset, your refusal to answer questions/provide ID does not suddenly make the justification to continue the stop.

MamaLiberty

I have not needed to show my driver's license in the five years since I renewed it. Don't need one here to bank, buy liquor (I'm pretty obviously a "senior citizen") or anything else I can think of. Never had a traffic accident and my only "ticket" was in 1992 - in California. I don't go to "clubs." I also tend to use my military ID for those few things where one is required, such as the military day discount at the general merchandise store... The driver's license is reserved for the very few times it might be legally required.

I do, however, carry openly every day, everywhere I go. It is perfectly legal and accepted here.

Generalizations like this are seldom very useful.

I don't fight with our sheriff's deputies or the local town police at all. We are actually friends. But I will never willingly allow them to overstep the bounds of the law either.

hogeaterf6

If you only OC in your town, where it's safe and don't OC where it isn't safe, you've already given up your rights!:eek:

I spend more time in my town lol. I rarly go to my neighboring town where it is far bigger. Its always on my hip but most of the time I have a sweatshirt or vest on so it is mostly covered. When I travel it is on me, under vest or sweatshirt. I still carry so my right is not given up. Even in States where it is not legal for me to carry. I only travel on a motorcycle to other States. Never in a cage. I believe cops are gonna be more attentive to a tattooed sleaved out leather clad biker then if I wore a suit. lol

wrightme

Nice try guy! I have no police record and in that I have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and overt the whole macho thing of look at me I have an S&W 50 Cal thing. I can understand in defending rights that is why I am retired military. So far no one has even come close to answering my question yet. Most everyone (not all) have jumped on the I know my rights crap. Why don’t YOU just get a CCW? Or is your police record holding you back from that?

When all of you are being recorded as being criminals I'll just move along while carrying both of my guns undetected.
Thanks for taking the heat.

You HAVE received accurate responses. You seem to choose to ignore them.

The best one is that in doing so, you are relinquishing one of your Rights. If that is what you desire, why not hand the cop your gun, and relinquish THAT Right? It is the SAME.

wrightme

Have you not heard “the loss of rights is not on the street, but at the voting booth.” Get out and vote and don’t allow the laws to change and take are rights away! Simple!
(Misguided little lemmings.)
Well, somewhat correct. But, Rights can be infringed upon by LE action, as in this case. But it is only successful when citizens allow that infringement. Such as handing over an ID when there is no warrant or RAS.

wrightme

Those uses are not to persons in a position of authority, that has the ability to arrest you.

eye95

I spend more time in my town lol. I rarly go to my neighboring town where it is far bigger. Its always on my hip but most of the time I have a sweatshirt or vest on so it is mostly covered. When I travel it is on me, under vest or sweatshirt. I still carry so my right is not given up. Even in States where it is not legal for me to carry. I only travel on a motorcycle to other States. Never in a cage. I believe cops are gonna be more attentive to a tattooed sleaved out leather clad biker then if I wore a suit. lol

If you give up your rights rarely, you still give up your rights.

100% of the people retain their rights 100% of the time.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
What if cooperating with the police....

meant handing over your hadgun to the officer until it could undergo forensic testing. The department would return it to you after a few weeks.....

As stated before...the 4th amendment is as important to me as the 2nd. And I am cooperating to the fullest extent of the law when I do not hand over my driver's license as I am on foot.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

These are so ridiculous and FAR away from the point of an officer who has the ability to take away your freedom of movement that you clearly need to think your points through.