• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun posession w/ CPL and nonCPL holders in vehicle in transortation ??

Wglide90

Hey, Folks. I have questions about legal posession of handgun in transporting handguns in vehicle.

Can a CPL holder claim posession of nonCPL holder's handgun in either his own vehicle or in the nonCPL holder's vehicle? If so, what constitutes posession in the vehicle? Some insight would be helpful. Thanks.

lapeer20m

i don't have a cite handy, but the short answer is yes, a cpl holder may legally possess more than one pistol, including a pistol that is registered to someone else. that part is codified.

the definition of possession is most likely not defined by a law but by the courts.

I would think that a cpl holder could have a gun in a vehicle almost anywhere and claim possession as long as the non-cpl holder was not actually touching/wearing the pistol. Ie: I would be comfortable as a cpl holder transporting a pistol in a center console or glovebox even if a passenger in my vehicle did not have a cpl. however, I would not leave the passenger in the vehicle with the pistol when i got out as the person in the vehicle may be committing a felony at that point.

Last edited:

DaveP

But what if you're the passenger in their vehicle and they don't have a CPL?
Will that pile of handguns on the back seat be a problem?

budlight

In Michigan, a person holding a CPL can borrow/possess a handgun as long it is lawfully registered.

Anytime it's in a vehicle it is considered concealed and someone claiming possession will need a CPL, UNLESS unloaded, and in the trunk of the vehicle or in a case in the passenger compartment if no trunk is available.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
close. W/O CPL, the gun must be in the trunk unloaded, and in a case designed for a gun. In a vehicle without a trunk, the gun must likewise be cased, unloaded, and in a place not easily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle, and must be transported for a lawful purpose, see MCL 750.231a. In a situation where the vehicle has no trunk, although not required, I would personally recommend that the case be locked, just to add the extra step. Could be helpful for your defense.

budlight

close. W/O CPL, the gun must be in the trunk unloaded, and in a case designed for a gun. In a vehicle without a trunk, the gun must likewise be cased, unloaded, and in a place not easily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle, and must be transported for a lawful purpose, see MCL 750.231a. In a situation where the vehicle has no trunk, although not required, I would personally recommend that the case be locked, just to add the extra step. Could be helpful for your defense.

That is what I just said in the above......the lawful purpose I left out because I assumed that was the original intention. Notice I said you need a CPL, UNLESS unloaded, and in the trunk of the vehicle or in a case in the passenger compartment if no trunk is available.

Last edited:

Bronson

That is what I just said in the above......

No it isn't.

UNLESS unloaded, and in the trunk of the vehicle orin a case in the passenger compartment if no trunk is available.

close. W/O CPL, the gun must be in the trunk unloaded, and in a case designed for a gun. .

That is a small but very significant difference.

MCL 750.231a

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

Bronson

Bronson

Wee bit touchy tonight?

I have been corrected on this forum more times than I can count...it's how we learn. Small slip-ups like the one pointed out above have the potential to bring large problems. Everybody on this website is on the lookout to make sure the info presented here is factual and correct and nobody is above being corrected.

I believe the proper response when someone points out a legal error in one of our posts should be something along the lines of "thanks, can't believe I missed that."

Bronson

Last edited:

budlight

Wee bit touchy tonight?

I have been corrected on this forum more times than I can count...it's how we learn. Small slip-ups like the one pointed out above have the potential to bring large problems. Everybody on this website is on the lookout to make sure the info presented here is factual and correct and nobody is above being corrected.

I believe the proper response when someone points out a legal error in one of our posts should be something along the lines of "thanks, can't believe I missed that."

Bronson

No, I’m tired of being CONTRADICTED for correct info. There are too many people on this form that if the exact wording is left out of an issue, they make an issue out of it. Even though what I post COVERS the issue, some people have to twist it around because not every detail was covered. I’m not the cops trying to bust someone, but the people on here treat others like they are LEOs looking for a fight.

I’m starting to see why my friends have some unpleasant things to say about OCers and how they are just looking to start problems. Based on how SOME people challenge EVERYTHING on this forum tells me that maybe some of the OCers are just looking for problems??? I don’t know…..you tell me what the answer is.

Please note that my response was an OVER ALL general answer to the original posters question, I didn't know I had to give a full legal brief on the matter.

Last edited:

Master Control

it's the little things that count

That is a small but very significant difference. (heres a example)

Good Morning;
I too am a downriver rat, just the other side of Outer Drive & Fort.
That area is very well known for profiling, old habits have not died.
LPD still sits in that party store parking lot as well as the hospital & clinic
parking lots on the border looking into Detroit, I could only imagine
LPD watching me open carry as I usally do, then noticing me put
something in the trunk. I would bet you by the time I cross I-75 at
Outer Drive I would be swarmed by not only LPD but MPD & APPD.
Now imagine my firearm NOT being in the approved case per MCL 750.231a
(end example)
I dont think anyone is picking on you, it's just the small but very significant
differences that could/would change someones life. Is it possible that this 2A
group is proactively on the lookout to make sure the info presented here is factual and correct in it's entirety?

it's too bad that your friends have some unpleasant things to say about OCers, IMO I dont think we are trying to start problems just the contrary.