• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good experience

jhco50

My wife and I went to Big R to get a drain part and afterward decided to get a hamburger. She was driving and drove into the local Wendy's. Of course I have been carrying openly all of this time. We got in line and in front of us was half of the Fountain police dept. They could easily tell I was armed and never said a word or acknowledged it. I even joked with them about the whole dept being on break at one time. I count that a good experience. :D

As a side note, there was a young boy standing next to me and could not take his eyes off my sidearm. I just smiled at him. He must have been about 10.

strife1013

Boys and their toys lol...
That's great I love hearing stories like this, I have been open carrying for almost a month and not had any issue, heck most of the time I think they think I am a cop lol... Haven't run into any police officers but that's okay. It's amazing how much nicer people are to you when you are packing heat lol...

I'm waiting for my CC permit, should get it by the end of the year, it's hard to open carry when it gets cold because I want to wear a jacket lol...

jhco50

I have been carrying for about 3 months or so. I am amazed at how most people just ignore you. I have only had one bad experience and that was with the Woodland Park Library.

I have thought about winter. I wear a jacket and I have found I can just put the bottom of my jacket behind my revolver. I have noticed that when wearing my jacket in that manner, it makes my sidearm stand out on my person.

since9

Campaign Veteran
She was driving and drove into the local Wendy's. Of course I have been carrying openly all of this time.

I remember the first time I carried in Wendy's. It was the second time I OC'd here in the Springs, so I was nervous, doubly so as it was right across the street from Falcon Division PD here in Colorado Springs. No one cared, and two LEOs were standing in line. They noticed my firearm and gave me a polite nod, which I returned, before ordering.

That encounter went a long way towards reaffirming that I'd chosen the right state in which to settle down.

...it's hard to open carry when it gets cold because I want to wear a jacket lol...

My extreme cold weather rig is a shoulder holster worn under a jacket. Otherwise, I use a drop side holster with leg strap that's low enough for OCing below most of my jackets.

I have only had one bad experience and that was with the Woodland Park Library.

It's the rarified air up there. It makes it difficult for them to respect people's fundamental rights.

jhco50

Just got back from vacation. We went to San Antonio to see the daughter and youngest granddaughter (for the moment). I carried through Colorado and into New Mexico. We made no stops in Mexico, so I couldn't test their OC. We got to the Texas line and had to hide the gun in the truck (Texas Law). I felt nekked until we hit the colorado line on our return. However, in Texas, a rifle is free for any type of carry...and loaded! So I carried a Rossie M92 in .357M. :)

All in All, a wonderful trip and that 20 mo old granddaughter is a hoot. Every morning at 7 sharp I would feel a little hand whack me on the forehead. Looking up was a little girl with a big grin on her face. Wow, I miss her already.

jhco50

Trip to Texas

Just got back from vacation. We went to San Antonio to see the daughter and youngest granddaughter (for the moment). I carried through Colorado and into New Mexico. We made no stops in Mexico, so I couldn't test their OC. We got to the Texas line and had to hide the gun in the truck (Texas Law). I felt nekked until we hit the colorado line on our return. However, in Texas, a rifle is free for any type of carry...and loaded! So I carried a Rossie M92 in .357M. :)

All in All, a wonderful trip and that 20 mo old granddaughter is a hoot. Every morning at 7 sharp I would feel a little hand whack me on the forehead. Looking up was a little girl with a big grin on her face. Wow, I miss her already. :(

Last edited:

strife1013

Sounds like you had a great time :) Kids can be so much fun and while there is so much evil in the world, children have a way of making people see all the good there is as well. Well in my opinion at least.

jhco50

You know it. That little girl can pull the heart strings. I have 5 grandchildren, 3 girls and 2 boys. Oh and one on the way.The two youngest, a 6 year old boy and the 20 mo old girl are the apples of my eye for being cute and cuddly. The boys are local to me and I see them every weekend. The rest are long distance so I have to travel to see them.