• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A question about criminal record

r1man

If someone was arrested 19 years ago for having a loaded Firearm and Didnt get charged with a Felony. Can he UOC? He also can still buy a Firearm and also is now 40 yrs old. He hasnt been in any trouble since.

puppy8agun

It will depend on the violation he ended up being charged with. Certain firearm charges prevent people from owning but it is likely he can own. I would have him check his own record and inquire (see below)

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#30
I'm not sure whether I can legally possess and/or purchase firearms. Is there a way to find out before I attempt to purchase one?
Yes. You may request the Department of Justice to conduct a firearms eligibility background check by submitting a Personal Firearms Eligibility Check (PFEC) application [PDF 72 kb / 2 pg] to the Department of Justice. For more information about how to request a PFEC, please visit our PFEC FAQ section. Applications are also available through your local firearms dealer.

r1man

Thanks Pup for the reply.....He has already gotten his background from DOJ . He has no Felonies. Like I mentioned Above (He Can still buy A Firearms No Problem there) My Question is can he still "Open Carry unloaded" Even though he has the gun charge on his Background from 19 years ago?

Coded-Dude

As I understand it, you may not own or possess a firearm if you have been convicted of a felony. If you are able to purchase, there is no law that I know of that would prohibit possession. Concealed carry may be unobtainable, but open carry should not be. I'll look for an official cite and try and post it here when i find it.