• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ALERT - Lancaster County Commissioners to consider polling place gun ban on Wed NOV 3

Mike

Site Co-Founder
This will be a public meeting - come somebody in Lancaster contact the County commissioner's office and ask if public comment will be allowed?

On open carry presence at the meeting would be great if we have enough time torally folks to go on a work day evening after an election day. Mary Stehman, chief clerk of Lancaster County Board of Elections, and the Penn. Dept. of State seem to need some education as to Pennsylvania preemption law and the righ tot carry guns in public under the Penn. and federal constitutions.

SNIP

The Lancaster County commissioners on Tuesday were asked to consider barring voters from carrying firearms into polling places across the county.

. . .

Mary Stehman, chief clerk of Lancaster County Board of Elections, brought the recommendation to the commissioners in the form of a resolution.

The proposed resolution states, "Transportation of firearms into any polling place in Lancaster County by any person, other than by a constable present at the polling place to preserve the peace, or a police officer serving warrants or called upon to preserve the peace, is prohibited."

Stehman said she made the recommendation to the commissioners at the direction of the Pennsylvania Department of State.
. . .

"I think this has some issues," county solicitor Don Lefever said of the proposed resolution. "My sense is it's not a prohibition that we can enforce."

The commissioners pledged to review the proposed resolution and decide whether to proceed with it at their weekly meeting at 9:15 a.m. Wednesday in the county administration building at 150 N. Queen St.

paknon2wheels

I'm pretty sure this was already discussed on Wednesday, October, 27th meeting. It would seem discussion among themselves has helped them resolve the issue by understanding that passing a resolution such as this would be beyond their scope of powers.

Unless I misunderstood something, you can see more about this here

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm pretty sure this was already discussed on Wednesday, November, 27th meeting. It would seem discussion among themselves has helped them resolve the issue by understanding that passing a resolution such as this would be beyond their scope of powers.

Unless I misunderstood something, you can see more about this here

Presume that you might mean October 27th meeting.

aadvark

Odds are..., it will not happen.
Surprisingly, Lancaster Officials are actually AWARE of Pennsylvania Law 18 Pa.C.S. 6120.
However..., I am sure Pennylvanians will be watching.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
looks like the proposal has been withdrawn!

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/305413

SNIP

Lancaster County voters will not be barred from packing heat at the 235 local polling places during the general election next week.

Mary Stehman, chief clerk of the county's Board of Elections, on Wednesday withdrew a resolution she had proposed to the county commissioners Tuesday, which would have banned the possession of firearms at county polling sites.

Stehman said she withdrew the resolution after reviewing state gun laws, which prevent municipal governments from regulating when and where guns can be carried.

"I am absolutely certain if this resolution would have been passed there would have been some sort of challenge," Commissioner Craig Lehman said.

. . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
looks like the proposal has been withdrawn!

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/305413

SNIP

Lancaster County voters will not be barred from packing heat at the 235 local polling places during the general election next week.

Mary Stehman, chief clerk of the county's Board of Elections, on Wednesday withdrew a resolution she had proposed to the county commissioners Tuesday, which would have banned the possession of firearms at county polling sites.

Stehman said she withdrew the resolution after reviewing state gun laws, which prevent municipal governments from regulating when and where guns can be carried.

"I am absolutely certain if this resolution would have been passed there would have been some sort of challenge," Commissioner Craig Lehman said.

. . .

Wonder what prompted her to check the state law........hmmmm?

aadvark

It is Surprising to learn that some Local Officials ACTUALLY follow State Law!