• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First 'green' president's 40 A/C, 6 armored cars on Taj trip. IndiaToday.INToday.in

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/S...trip-included-in-barack-obamas-itinerary.html
Saurabh Shukla said:
The US president will make a historic trip to the Taj Mahal along with his family. His visit is historic in terms of logistics which is the largest ever for a visiting US president.

Elaborate security arrangements
The presidential entourage will have 40 aircraft, including the Air Force One that will ferry the president. There will be six armoured cars, including four Barack Mobiles and a Cadillac.
"Barack Mobiles", stretch Hummers for BJClinton-hummers?

Last edited:

eye95

Wow. It is amazing how much meaning can be attached to my most meaningless of posts.

How do you spell ass-u-me?

Kirbinator

No, as in the one-and-previously presumed to be Obama-mobile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_State_Car_(United_States)
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/01/obama-rolls-a-s/

That isn't a car. It's a custom-made truck to look like a car. There is nothing green about it, unless it's fueled with biodiesel, which the (US)SS won't allow due to possible gelling issues while getting the President out of harms way.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-administration. But our form of government built-in the Vice President for a reason. The Pope doesn't travel with armor that thick, nor does he have a "second in command" waiting for the moment to take command.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
...But our form of government built-in the Vice President for a reason...

Actually, the State Department was built into the Constitution to handle all diplomatic actions and relations on behalf of the United States. The President was to remain in the US while in office and that stood true until Roosevelt was the first to travel abroad while President.

eye95

Actually, the State Department was built into the Constitution to handle all diplomatic actions and relations on behalf of the United States. The President was to remain in the US while in office and that stood true until Roosevelt was the first to travel abroad while President.

That is likely more a function of technology making travel by a president feasible than a change in attitudes toward the president traveling.