Thread: OC Article in Beaver Dam Paper

OC Article in Beaver Dam Paper

See the paragraph below - at first you think "wow the Sheriff actually respects the right" and then it's like "oh no he's just another DB LEO that doesn't want to lose his power over his subjects"

http://www.wiscnews.com/bdc/news/loc...cc4c03286.html

SNIP:
    According to Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls, there is a thin line between reacting and overreacting. A waitress at a Beaver Dam restaurant recently asked Nehls what she should do if someone brought a firearm into the restaurant.

“I told her she should ask him if they wanted some coffee unless the restaurant has policy that is being displayed saying there are no firearms allowed in the restaurant.”

Nehls said unconcealed firearms, except for fully automatic weapons or anything that would be restricted by the federal government, are legal in many places under Wisconsin’s open carry law unless the business or group that owns the facility posts a policy against entering with a gun.

Open carry is legal in Wisconsin except where prohibited by law, such as vehicles, schools and government buildings.

“The challenge today is there are people who strongly believe in the open carry law and are trying to challenge law enforcement,” Nehls said.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    “I even wear my gun to church,” Nehls said.
    OMG the horror. Who would need a gun in church (sarcasm)

Overall, on the range of law-enforcement attitudes to OC in Wisconsin I'd rate this Sheriff's attitude (based on the article) as above average and positive.

I do think he is "mis-assuming" with this comment:

“The challenge today is there are people who strongly believe in the open carry law and are trying to challenge law enforcement,” Nehls said.
    But overall, he seems like he "gets it".
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Nehls said unconcealed firearms, except for fully automatic weapons or anything that would be restricted by the federal government...
    Rather than saying unconcealed, perhaps just openly carrying?

I know owning full autos in WI is legal, but what about carrying?

How can you challenge something that is legal?

Beaver Dam police have received reports that guns were being brought to a public site. Without passing an ordinance, a city cannot dictate if people can carry guns in parks.
    Good luck with that! Preemption prevents you from doing that!

I wish we were all so "lucky."
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

McX
    challenge law enforcement, yeah that's a good one. Challenge them to uphold the laws? Challenge themto uphold Constitutional rights? Seems to me they are the ones looking for a fight.

Banned

What? Why would anyone wear a gun to church? <----Sarcasm

Seems to me like this guy gets it.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I know owning full autos in WI is legal, but what about carrying?
    At worst, disorderly conduct. Same as open carry of any dangerous weapon, what is not prohibited is permitted.

Rub his nose in it, OC an NFA weapon.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    His weapon in church, openly carried or concealed by an elite-cop (now there's an oxymoron)?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    At worst, disorderly conduct. Same as open carry of any dangerous weapon, what is not prohibited is permitted.

Rub his nose in it, OC an NFA weapon.
    I ask because there are some full auto handguns out there, primarily the Glock 18. That would give a nice surprise to the bad guys.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)