Thread: OT: I need help!

OT: I need help!

I need a place by or on Mt Baker to camp out. I met a cute woman that actually wants to go out with me. Not only that, but she wants our first date to be an overnight camp out and some shooting. She's big into the outdoors and our rights as Americans. I've been up there a few times, but usually follow some of the guys on the board here, so I thought somebody her would have a good idea. Thank you in advance.

"Campout"

That's a pretty broad term....

State, with facilities:

https://secure.camis.com/WA/Washingt...gtonStateParks

Federal, with facilities:

http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundSearch.do

State Forest:

http://www.camprrm.com/Washington%20Campgrounds.htm

Mt. Baker area:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacficnw/mbs.htm

Keep in mind that modern firearm season is on. This weekend is the last one for deer season....you may want to make sure that you have some hunter orange on....there will be a ton of road hunters...
    Last edited by jt59; 10-29-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks Jt59, i'll take a loook at those links. I was pretty much looking for forest maybe close to a river or something. I have a lot of bright colors on me and my tent. Just somewhere nice we can hang out and shoot after a good hike.

I know it isn't where you wanted but there is always wagon wheel trail down by hoodsport in olympic national park. 2.9 miles with 3200 feet of elevation gain. GOOD HIKE!! Ends at an alpine lake where wilderness camping is allowed. Go to the northeast side of the lake and you are in National Forest land where it is legal to shoot....
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Just remember if you are on National Forest land you cannot shoot near an established campground or shoot across water.

36 CFR 261.10

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
    (1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
    (2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.

There are plenty of public lands near the Greenwater area as well and they also have a designated shooting pit.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 10-29-2010 at 04:33 PM.

I hope you have a good time but. . .

I hope you have a good time but as jt59 pointed out, it may be hunting season.

Picture if you will, a hunter who has spent the better part of a day and most of the next morning stalking his quarry. He finally get close enough to get a shot. Just a few steps further and his four-footed game will be in range. Blam! Blam! Blam! Some guy and his girlfriend have just started shooting tin cans in the the next ravine over. The animal, startled by the disruption of gunfire, scurries into the thick underbrush, never to be seen again.

I'm really annoyed by those who go target shooting or sighting in their rifle out in the woods during hunting season. It may disrupt someone's hunt. The woods are there for everyone but your effort to bag a dear might interfere with someone else's effort to bag a deer, or maybe not. If it's an active hunting area, you might want to factor that in.

Otherwise, have a good time, wear blaze orange, stay safe and good luck with your date.

Good points guys

I know I have been to a couple of shooting pits up there. I hope not to disturb the hunters as I know the feeling RedRider has brought up. I would like to camp in public forest and can travel to the place we will actually shoot.

Be careful with someone so quickly and willing to go camping and shooting and if she offers to tie you up Run Don't Fall For It, She Only Wants Your Gun
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Be careful with someone so quickly and willing to go camping and shooting and if she offers to tie you up Run Don't Fall For It, She Only Wants Your Gun
    The only gal I know, my wife, has the idea that the only way to rough it is to take the travel trailer along. No heat (on demand), no flush toilet, no electric lights, no running water, NO WAY she's going camping. Come to think of it, I'm beginning to see her point. Don't want to think of how the old joints would work after a night in a tent. Funny how what was really great when you were in your 20's and 30's is something to fear when you are get to be twice that age?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    The only gal I know, my wife, has the idea that the only way to rough it is to take the travel trailer along. No heat (on demand), no flush toilet, no electric lights, no running water, NO WAY she's going camping. Come to think of it, I'm beginning to see her point. Don't want to think of how the old joints would work after a night in a tent. Funny how what was really great when you were in your 20's and 30's is something to fear when you are get to be twice that age?
    Don't fear it, just ain't gonna do it!! Twenty-one years of sleeping under canvas and on the ground was more than enough for me.

One night in an old army tent over 30 years ago and I still can't get the smell out of my nostrils. It's kind of like Hoppes #9, one whiff and you'll know that smell the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ryder View Post
    One night in an old army tent over 30 years ago and I still can't get the smell out of my nostrils. It's kind of like Hoppes #9, one whiff and you'll know that smell the rest of your life.
    But unlike the smell of an old army tent, most people who shoot look forward to the smell of Hoppes #9.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    LMAO Dave +1

OP: Hey Snappy, best of luck down there. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.... wait, nevermind, that'd REALLY limit your chances.

Go North on I 5 to exit 232 Cook Road
    Take Cook Road east to Hwy 20
    Turn right go 50 ft Turn left on Hwy 9 (south)
    Cross the Skagit River Bridge and take first right by park n ride
    Follow road around under bridge and drive up river on South Skagit Hwy.
    Go through Day Creek
    Past Mareita Crk & Otool Creek
    Take gravel road to right Forest service Road 17 (Cumberland)
    Any where up there you can shoot and camp Lots of small gravel pits.
    The higher you go the better the veiw of the river and Mt. Baker to the North.

GPS

N. 48 28.050
    W 121 57.716

This is total remote camping
    Last edited by ghosthunter; 10-29-2010 at 11:39 PM.

You guys are great.

We've been friends of friends for a while now. We just realized how alike we are, so we'l give it a shot. As for the tent, it reminds me of nights at my grandparents "camping" out on the ranch just outside the house.
    Ghosthunter, thanks, i'll check out that location also.

see that is the good thing about going to wagon wheel which IS an established camping site, then going AROUND to the north side of the lake (more than 150 yds away) AND that particular GMU is CLOSED for hunting this season!

Doesnt get too much better than that, a grueling hike that will leave her wanting to fall into your arms at the end (if not before) and NO HUNTERS AND you can shoot on the other side of the lake cause it is National Forest land!
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Go North on I 5 to exit 232 Cook Road
    Take Cook Road east to Hwy 20
    Turn right go 50 ft Turn left on Hwy 9 (south)
    Cross the Skagit River Bridge and take first right by park n ride
    Follow road around under bridge and drive up river on South Skagit Hwy.
    Go through Day Creek
    Past Mareita Crk & Otool Creek
    Take gravel road to right Forest service Road 17 (Cumberland)
    Any where up there you can shoot and camp Lots of small gravel pits.
    The higher you go the better the veiw of the river and Mt. Baker to the North.

GPS

N. 48 28.050
    W 121 57.716

This is total remote camping
    No really he means it lots of good places up that way and beautiful country.

It's on next weekend.

Next weekend should be a better time to go up there. Hopefully the weather gives us a break.
    If she plays her cards right, maybe one day she'll take all my guns and I won't even notice. I'll let her play with one right now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryk45XD View Post
    Next weekend should be a better time to go up there. Hopefully the weather gives us a break.
    If she plays her cards right, maybe one day she'll take all my guns and I won't even notice. I'll let her play with one right now though.
    Sorry could not resist this one, derringer .22

Seriously I hope you have a bang up of a time
    Last edited by BigDave; 10-30-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryk45XD View Post
    We'll be expecting a full report, of course!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

You wait too much longer and the snow will be falling.....

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    You wait too much longer and the snow will be falling.....

So wait ...it'll be cold and they will have to get REAL CLOSE to conserve body heat?

Where is the downside in this again?

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    So wait ...it'll be cold and they will have to get REAL CLOSE to conserve body heat?

Where is the downside in this again?
    You ever licked a frozen flagpole??

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    You ever licked a frozen flagpole??

Can't say as I have EVER licked a "flagpole"...

Oh boy!

Quote Originally Posted by devildoc5 View Post
    Can't say as I have EVER licked a "flagpole"...
    I better be good. I won't rag on you this time Doc.