• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: I need help!

Aryk45XD

I need a place by or on Mt Baker to camp out. I met a cute woman that actually wants to go out with me. Not only that, but she wants our first date to be an overnight camp out and some shooting. She's big into the outdoors and our rights as Americans. I've been up there a few times, but usually follow some of the guys on the board here, so I thought somebody her would have a good idea. Thank you in advance.

jt59

"Campout"

That's a pretty broad term....

State, with facilities:

https://secure.camis.com/WA/WashingtonStateParks/NorthwestWashingtonStateParks

Federal, with facilities:

http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundSearch.do

State Forest:

http://www.camprrm.com/Washington Campgrounds.htm

Mt. Baker area:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacficnw/mbs.htm

Keep in mind that modern firearm season is on. This weekend is the last one for deer season....you may want to make sure that you have some hunter orange on....there will be a ton of road hunters...

Last edited:

Aryk45XD

Thanks Jt59, i'll take a loook at those links. I was pretty much looking for forest maybe close to a river or something. I have a lot of bright colors on me and my tent. Just somewhere nice we can hang out and shoot after a good hike.

devildoc5

I know it isn't where you wanted but there is always wagon wheel trail down by hoodsport in olympic national park. 2.9 miles with 3200 feet of elevation gain. GOOD HIKE!! Ends at an alpine lake where wilderness camping is allowed. Go to the northeast side of the lake and you are in National Forest land where it is legal to shoot....

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Just remember if you are on National Forest land you cannot shoot near an established campground or shoot across water.

36 CFR 261.10

(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge.

There are plenty of public lands near the Greenwater area as well and they also have a designated shooting pit.

Last edited:

Red Ryder

I hope you have a good time but. . .

I hope you have a good time but as jt59 pointed out, it may be hunting season.

Picture if you will, a hunter who has spent the better part of a day and most of the next morning stalking his quarry. He finally get close enough to get a shot. Just a few steps further and his four-footed game will be in range. Blam! Blam! Blam! Some guy and his girlfriend have just started shooting tin cans in the the next ravine over. The animal, startled by the disruption of gunfire, scurries into the thick underbrush, never to be seen again.

I'm really annoyed by those who go target shooting or sighting in their rifle out in the woods during hunting season. It may disrupt someone's hunt. The woods are there for everyone but your effort to bag a dear might interfere with someone else's effort to bag a deer, or maybe not. If it's an active hunting area, you might want to factor that in.

Otherwise, have a good time, wear blaze orange, stay safe and good luck with your date.

Aryk45XD

Good points guys

I know I have been to a couple of shooting pits up there. I hope not to disturb the hunters as I know the feeling RedRider has brought up. I would like to camp in public forest and can travel to the place we will actually shoot.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Be careful with someone so quickly and willing to go camping and shooting and if she offers to tie you up :eek: Run Don't Fall For It, She Only Wants Your Gun :lol::banana:

amlevin

Be careful with someone so quickly and willing to go camping and shooting and if she offers to tie you up :eek: Run Don't Fall For It, She Only Wants Your Gun :lol::banana:

The only gal I know, my wife, has the idea that the only way to rough it is to take the travel trailer along. No heat (on demand), no flush toilet, no electric lights, no running water, NO WAY she's going camping. Come to think of it, I'm beginning to see her point. Don't want to think of how the old joints would work after a night in a tent. Funny how what was really great when you were in your 20's and 30's is something to fear when you are get to be twice that age?

SFCRetired

The only gal I know, my wife, has the idea that the only way to rough it is to take the travel trailer along. No heat (on demand), no flush toilet, no electric lights, no running water, NO WAY she's going camping. Come to think of it, I'm beginning to see her point. Don't want to think of how the old joints would work after a night in a tent. Funny how what was really great when you were in your 20's and 30's is something to fear when you are get to be twice that age?
Don't fear it, just ain't gonna do it!! Twenty-one years of sleeping under canvas and on the ground was more than enough for me.

Red Ryder

One night in an old army tent over 30 years ago and I still can't get the smell out of my nostrils. It's kind of like Hoppes #9, one whiff and you'll know that smell the rest of your life.

Deleted_User

LMAO Dave +1

OP: Hey Snappy, best of luck down there. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.... wait, nevermind, that'd REALLY limit your chances.

ghosthunter

Go North on I 5 to exit 232 Cook Road
Take Cook Road east to Hwy 20
Turn right go 50 ft Turn left on Hwy 9 (south)
Cross the Skagit River Bridge and take first right by park n ride
Follow road around under bridge and drive up river on South Skagit Hwy.
Go through Day Creek
Past Mareita Crk & Otool Creek
Take gravel road to right Forest service Road 17 (Cumberland)
Any where up there you can shoot and camp Lots of small gravel pits.
The higher you go the better the veiw of the river and Mt. Baker to the North.

GPS

N. 48 28.050
W 121 57.716

This is total remote camping

Last edited:

Aryk45XD

You guys are great.

We've been friends of friends for a while now. We just realized how alike we are, so we'l give it a shot. As for the tent, it reminds me of nights at my grandparents "camping" out on the ranch just outside the house.
Ghosthunter, thanks, i'll check out that location also.

devildoc5

see that is the good thing about going to wagon wheel which IS an established camping site, then going AROUND to the north side of the lake (more than 150 yds away) AND that particular GMU is CLOSED for hunting this season!

Doesnt get too much better than that, a grueling hike that will leave her wanting to fall into your arms at the end (if not before) and NO HUNTERS AND you can shoot on the other side of the lake cause it is National Forest land!

sudden valley gunner

Go North on I 5 to exit 232 Cook Road
Take Cook Road east to Hwy 20
Turn right go 50 ft Turn left on Hwy 9 (south)
Cross the Skagit River Bridge and take first right by park n ride
Follow road around under bridge and drive up river on South Skagit Hwy.
Go through Day Creek
Past Mareita Crk & Otool Creek
Take gravel road to right Forest service Road 17 (Cumberland)
Any where up there you can shoot and camp Lots of small gravel pits.
The higher you go the better the veiw of the river and Mt. Baker to the North.

GPS

N. 48 28.050
W 121 57.716

This is total remote camping

No really he means it lots of good places up that way and beautiful country. :lol:

Aryk45XD

It's on next weekend.

Next weekend should be a better time to go up there. Hopefully the weather gives us a break.
If she plays her cards right, maybe one day she'll take all my guns and I won't even notice. I'll let her play with one right now though.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Next weekend should be a better time to go up there. Hopefully the weather gives us a break.
If she plays her cards right, maybe one day she'll take all my guns and I won't even notice. I'll let her play with one right now though.

Sorry could not resist this one, derringer .22 :eek::cry::lol:

Seriously I hope you have a bang up of a time ;)

Last edited:

Ruby

We'll be expecting a full report, of course!:lol: