• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Procedure for Renewing permit through mail Fairfax

Fuller Malarkey

Taking the risk of being pummeled for being ignorant, but is this something new? I renewed in August, submitting my renewal at the court house after calling in for information on how to proceed. I was instructed that I would have to physically appear to apply for my renewal. Which is a pain because I leave my county at O' dark thirty and return well after the court house is closed for the day. Is this something that is at the discretion of the court house, maybe I got a new employee, or do most folks get to mail in their renewal requests? This occurred on the Blue Ridge side of the Shenandoah Valley.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Taking the risk of being pummeled for being ignorant, but is this something new? I renewed in August, submitting my renewal at the court house after calling in for information on how to proceed. I was instructed that I would have to physically appear to apply for my renewal. Which is a pain because I leave my county at O' dark thirty and return well after the court house is closed for the day. Is this something that is at the discretion of the court house, maybe I got a new employee, or do most folks get to mail in their renewal requests? This occurred on the Blue Ridge side of the Shenandoah Valley.

The mail renewal was in effect when you called. Some Clerks just refuse to change their procedures to comply with the law.

I was born and raised on the Blue Ridge side and can tell you, the courts have a lot of improvement due in the Valley.

Rockingham County was one of the prime CWP offenders that prompted the General Assembly to pass "Shall Issue".

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Taking the risk of being pummeled for being ignorant, but is this something new?

Yes, HB 8 amended 18.2-308, effective 1 JUL 2010.

Further, the new language weighs against the Fairfax County Circuit Court, or any circuit court's, demand for additional paperwork or disclosures byond what is set forther in paragragh D.

See bill as erolled at http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?101+sum+hb8

SNIP of final relevant language after HB 8 and all other bills from 2010:

"I. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in subsection D, and upon receipt by the circuit court of criminal history record information as provided in subsection D, a new five-year permit unless it is found that the applicant is subject to any of the disqualifications set forth in subsection E. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit pursuant to subsection D shall not be required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit pursuant to this subsection, and the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify an applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted for the permit pursuant to subsection K is incorrect. If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit. If the circuit court denies the permit, the specific reasons for the denial shall be stated in the order of the court denying the permit. Upon denial of the application, the clerk shall provide the person with notice, in writing, of his right to an ore tenus hearing. Upon request of the applicant made within 21 days, the court shall place the matter on the docket for an ore tenus hearing. The applicant may be represented by counsel, but counsel shall not be appointed, and the rules of evidence shall apply. The final order of the court shall include the court's findings of fact and conclusions of law."

Note that timing of the renewall affects whether you do or do not lose days on your permits.

Fuller Malarkey

Thank you very much for that information. My old permit expired before the new permit arrived. According to what you have shared here, it looks like my applied for Virginia permit would have went into effect when the old one expired? I was informed at the courthouse that I would not be legally able to conceal and carry a weapon if the old permit expired and the new permit had not arrived yet. I imagine my Utah or Florida permit would have covered me, but would really hate to have to push the issue with a local law enforcement officer. I believe it was here I picked up the gem that one of the worst things you can do is tell a cop he is wrong. Things won't get better if you prove it.

TFred

I renewed in August...
You were in a unique situation, the 90 day window for your renewal would have been before the law took effect, so I suppose technically, they could have rejected it.

Sometimes LEOs are wrong. You generally don't win those arguments on the side of the road, etc, but in the long run, if you follow the correct procedures, you will usually win. The question becomes: is it worth the time, effort and money. Many times it is.

I do not carry a Virginia CHP, and I will not carry a Virginia CHP until such a time that the General Assembly removes my home address and personal information from the view of criminals who may be looking for a target to steal guns. Utah's permit is valid, and that is what I will continue to use. I think there are more than just a few of us in this boat.

TFred

TFred

"The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify an applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted for the permit pursuant to subsection K is incorrect."
I'm stating the obvious here, but as Mike noted, this is great for cases like Fairfax, which like to require additional hoops. This requires them to notify you in writing if they choose to deny your application based on their "extra-legal" requirements. It will be quite interesting to see what a judge says when you get to your hearing and present that little piece of paper.

ETA: I hope that the first few to do this fully understand the implications and get good advice so they know how to do it correctly.

TFred

Last edited:

rob99vmi04

So here is where I'm at with this right now.

I have called the Circuirt Court (703) 691-7320 Option 3 for circuit court option 5 for info on CHP. The automated response told me to go the website. That is where I got the PHone number. Can you say chasing ones tail!!!!

So I called the Fairfax County Attorney who then gave the phone numer (703) 691-7320 they also told me I had to physically come to the court house to renew, I told her I don't think that is true anymore, but she did tell me the secret about after going through all the prompts hit 0 to get to live person. I didn't get a live person but I got an answering machine for Ms. Carol Snow.

I left this message.

Ms. Snow I'm trying to get the proper forms and procedures for renewing my CHP through the mail in fairfax county. I understand a new law went into effect earlier this year which authorizes me to do this. Would you mind providing me with the information to do this.

I'm thinking about going to the court house going up to the window and asking them how to renew via mail.

Last edited:

TFred

Why are you going to all this trouble? Just follow the law. Mail the renewal application and check to the clerk of the court, by name. Send it return receipt requested, if you prefer, that costs about $5 more than regular mail though. If you haven't gotten your new permit in the time allotted, then go from there.

You're giving them time and reason to make up new rules.

JMHO...

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So here is where I'm at with this right now.

I have called the Circuirt Court (703) 691-7320 Option 3 for circuit court option 5 for info on CHP. The automated response told me to go the website. That is where I got the PHone number. Can you say chasing ones tail!!!!

So I called the Fairfax County Attorney who then gave the phone numer (703) 691-7320 they also told me I had to physically come to the court house to renew, I told her I don't think that is true anymore, but she did tell me the secret about after going through all the prompts hit 0 to get to live person. I didn't get a live person but I got an answering machine for Ms. Carol Snow.

I left this message.

Ms. Snow I'm trying to get the proper forms and procedures for renewing my CHP through the mail in fairfax county. I understand a new law went into effect earlier this year which authorizes me to do this. Would you mind providing me with the information to do this.

I'm thinking about going to the court house going up to the window and asking them how to renew via mail.
Pursuant to Code of Virginia §18.2-308, any person twenty-one years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court in which he or she resides, or if he or she is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he or she is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Concealed Handgun Applications are available at:
Fairfax Circuit Court Clerk's Office
Civil Intake Division
4110 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

All Concealed Handgun Permits granted by the court will be mailed to the applicants. (Effective July 1, 2006)
Information is also available at the Virginia State Police web site. The site has the application and lists jurisdictions with which Virginia has reciprocal agreements.
Forms

rob99vmi04

Pursuant to Code of Virginia §18.2-308, any person twenty-one years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court in which he or she resides, or if he or she is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he or she is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Concealed Handgun Applications are available at:
Fairfax Circuit Court Clerk's Office
Civil Intake Division
4110 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030

All Concealed Handgun Permits granted by the court will be mailed to the applicants. (Effective July 1, 2006)
Information is also available at the Virginia State Police web site. The site has the application and lists jurisdictions with which Virginia has reciprocal agreements.
Forms

Okay did I miss something in all that? All I see you did was point me back to the fairfax county website which tells me to show up in person to submit my application/ or renewal, which then takes me to the state police website. They also say that effective July 1, 2006 that THEY mail the permits back to you.

rob99vmi04

WOW I'm shocked!!!!

Just got offf the phone with Ms. Snow. Very nice lady.

She said that Fairfax has always accepted renewals by mail.

Heres what she said:

CHP Application Plus two additional copies
3 copies old permit
Something that puts me at current residence (Bill, Voter, or rental aggreement)
Self Address Stamped envelope

Mail To:
4110 Chainbridge Rd
Attention Civil Intake
Fairfax, VA 22030

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fairfax still requests extra legal steps!

WOW I'm shocked!!!!

Just got offf the phone with Ms. Snow. Very nice lady.

She said that Fairfax has always accepted renewals by mail.

Heres what she said:

CHP Application Plus two additional copies Only original, no copies.
3 copies old permit None, see application.
Something that puts me at current residence (Bill, Voter, or rental aggreement) No.
Self Address Stamped envelope Not required.

Mail To:
4110 Chainbridge Rd
Attention Civil Intake
Fairfax, VA 22030

See embedded replies and TFred's post #10 above.

Or do what they want and change nothing with Fairfax Counties extra-legal procedures. :cry:

Last edited: