• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scofflaws as Open Carry advocates, for fear of denial of state privilege to CCW?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Of what other laws might our concealed carry scofflaws expect and demand immunity?

Is there a code of honor, "...not cheat or tolerate those that do." amongst law abiding citizens? Codified honor is often seen as essential to the development of public trust.

The law abides only the law abiding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_College_of_William_&_Mary#Honor_System
William & Mary's Honor System was first established by alumnus Thomas Jefferson in 1779 and is widely believed to be the nation's first. During the orientation week, nearly every entering student recites the Honor Pledge in the Great Hall of the Wren Building pledging:

As a Member of the William & Mary community I pledge, on my Honor, not to lie, cheat, or steal in either my academic or personal life. I understand that such acts violate the Honor Code and undermine the community of trust of which we are all stewards.

The basis of W&M's Honor Pledge was written over 150 years ago by alumnus and law professor Henry St. George Tucker, Sr. While teaching law at the University of Virginia, Tucker proposed that students attach a pledge to all exams confirming that on their honor they did not receive any assistance. Tucker's honor pledge was the early basis of the Honor System at the University of Virginia. At W&M, the Honor System stands as one of the College's most important traditions; it remains student-administered through the Honor Council with the advice of the faculty and administration of the College. The College's Honor System is codified such that students found guilty of cheating, stealing or lying are subject to sanctions ranging anywhere from a verbal warning up to expulsion.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Little balls of wit.

Perhaps to you but not to others.
Thank you. My use of OCDO-WI has changed, for now anyway. I don't give a kcuff what some have to say, hence the ignore list, but I am pleased that some read, whatever they may think now of what they read.

Think of it as a shlt house stall wall. "For a good time meet up at Rosie's." "Ain't no ******* copper gonna take me alive!"

The Don

Honor brick by brick built on a good foundation a character of good standing will rise.

+1000

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."

johnny amish

Following the law just makes sense. I wonder though, if guns were banned, who would turn them in?

Well, if guns were to be banned the only people who would have them lawfully would be the government. As we saw during Katrina, they would probably go door to door and allow us the choice, willingly hand over the firearms or they would forceably take them.

Another useless thread with no purpose on OCDO.

One could say the same thing about you....

Doug, I am just curious, would you turn your guns in? I mean you are always saying the law abides the law abiding, would you break that law? I personally would not turn a single one in.