• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will Fimian defend self-defense?

user

Accomplished Advocate
I was thinking about all that stuff this morning after having heard it on the news. The question is whom he has to avoid alienating. Conservative gun people will vote for him anyway. Liberal leaning independents are scared of guns because they can only think about "guns kill people" and can't get past their emotional reaction to an understanding of the notion of doing what's necessary to preserve one's life. So, if I were his campaign advisor, I'd have told him, first, don't use the kind of language he did ("students packing heat" ought to have been "responsible adult lawfully carrying a firearm"), and second, "don't worry about the gun people, they'll vote for you anyway" (would they really vote for Connolly under any circumstances?).

Dreamer

I LOVE when people like this say "students should't have guns"...

My answer, is "What about me?. I'm 45 years old, I've worked for DOJ contractors for 15 years, I'm an Eagle Scout, I have held security clearances, I have a spotless legal record, I'm a competitive shooter, I have concealed carry permits issued from 3 states, and I'm working on becoming an NRA-certified instructor. Should I not be allowed to carry for self defense?"

They usually say something like, "well, we're not trying to keep people like YOU from owning firearms..."

Ad I'll respond, "yes you are, because I'm also a graduate student..."

Then the cognitive dissonance starts to set in their tiny little hoplophobic brains...

TFred

I don't live in the 11th District, I can't vote or not vote for either of these gentlemen.

If you want to, you can imagine that you live in a mythical utopia, where your votes only go for perfect candidates. Or... you can understand that you actually live in a very real world, populated by human beings, none of which are perfect.

You get to pick between Fimian and Connolly. Not voting, is a vote for Connolly. Nobody seriously tries to figure out why voters don't vote, and even fewer than that "get a message" from people who stay at home. The only number that matters is who has the most votes at 7 PM on Tuesday.

Voltaire said "the perfect is the enemy of the good", and I would add "and the friend of the bad!"

It would be hard to imagine a better description of this particular race.

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Ok, now that's a disappointment. First, the host made a comment about the "gun show loophole" and the guy on the left said (paraphased), "You mean where people can buy guys at gun shows and not have to go through a background check". That statement is more than just misleading as we all know. It's an outright lie and an erroneous attempt to set the stage. Fimian should have immediately corrected this before continuing. But he didn't which shows he is not well informed about the subject and how to respond to rhetorical errors.

Next, he made his statement that students definitely should not have guns (on campus). Once again, this shows ignorance. But worse, it raises the idea that perhaps this guy is a centrist or worse.. a RINO. While he still appears to be better than Connolly, can he be depended upon to be America's friend and a supporter of the Bill of Rights... as in all of it?

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Voltaire said "the perfect is the enemy of the good", and I would add "and the friend of the bad!"

It would be hard to imagine a better description of this particular race.
TFred

+1

I guess the quote by Sir Edmund Burke applies hear (to voting):

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

TFred

I can't help but be reminded of this now-famous quote. This is the playing field we are on. Byrd may have been a schmuck, but he won, he kept winning, and he imposed his ideology on West Virginia and The United States for decades.

“He once had a fleeting association with the Ku Klux Klan, what does that mean? I’ll tell you what it means. He was a country boy from the hills and hollows from West Virginia. He was trying to get elected,” former President Bill Clinton said of Sen. Robert Byrd.

“And maybe he did something he shouldn’t have done come and he spent the rest of his life making it up. And that’s what a good person does. There are no perfect people. There are certainly no perfect politicians,” he added.

Whose ideology do you want in Washington, Fimian's or Connolly's? It's going to be one or the other. The "Sit at home" candidate doesn't even get a voice in Washington, much less a vote.

Fimian is not the perfect candidate. There is no doubt he is better than his opponent. Next election, run a better one in his place.

TFred

Repeater

It's CAPITULATION that is the problem

I was thinking about all that stuff this morning after having heard it on the news. The question is whom he has to avoid alienating.

The real problem is how quickly Fimian capitulated to the gun-haters.

First, Keith speaks freely and without coaching from his handlers.

Then, gun-control groups immediately push back.

Then they run a TV ad.

Then, Fimian's handler responds with a strong statement: Keith's "Packing heat" remark was "EXTREMELY inappropriate ..."

Finally, Keith appears with Joe on a radio show and runs away from his original position like a scared little boy.

If he is willing to betray good, sound reason in order to appease the Statists, then what other issues would he capitulate?

Because it is clear he is a coward, he cannot be trusted now.

That is what is relevant.

Repeater

GOA did not rate Fiminan

I just sent him an note regarding his statement.

Good for you!

GOA did not rate Fimian.

Connolly got an F.

David Dotson, the Libertarian candidate for the 11th, rates an A.

His attitude is refreshing for the district:

I believe in the ideals of individual freedom that the Founding Fathers claimed in the Declaration of Independence, and confirmed in the Constitution. And I believe the primary responsibility, the most important duty, of our representatives in Congress is to protect - or, perhaps more accurately, to restore - our constitutional Republic, and to fight that most noble fight, the never-ending battle to "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity."

SouthernBoy

The real problem is how quickly Fimian capitulated to the gun-haters.

First, Keith speaks freely and without coaching from his handlers.

Then, gun-control groups immediately push back.

Then they run a TV ad.

Then, Fimian's handler responds with a strong statement: Keith's "Packing heat" remark was "EXTREMELY inappropriate ..."

Finally, Keith appears with Joe on a radio show and runs away from his original position like a scared little boy.

If he is willing to betray good, sound reason in order to appease the Statists, then what other issues would he capitulate?

Because it is clear he is a coward, he cannot be trusted now.

That is what is relevant.

And this what scares me the most. Republicans for years have tucked tail and turned around whenever democrats have raised the "racist" flag, which they seemed to be obsessed with doing. The late Samuel Francis called Republican Party the Stupid Party, not because they were stupid but because he was trying to build a fire under their butts and tell them to stand up for that which you believe.

The way to fight political fire is with a hotter fire. This is what is making the Tea Party such a powerful constituency. They are the core constituents of the dead Republican Party.. the RINOs that left them in favor of trying to do more than the democrats. What the Tea Party is really trying get across is party-neutral in that its basic platform is the Constitution.

Repeater

A Cell Phone or a gun?

And this what scares me the most. Republicans for years have tucked tail and turned around whenever democrats have raised the "racist" flag, which they seemed to be obsessed with doing. The late Samuel Francis called Republican Party the Stupid Party, not because they were stupid but because he was trying to build a fire under their butts and tell them to stand up for that which you believe.

The way to fight political fire is with a hotter fire. This is what is making the Tea Party such a powerful constituency. They are the core constituents of the dead Republican Party.. the RINOs that left them in favor of trying to do more than the democrats. What the Tea Party is really trying get across is party-neutral in that its basic platform is the Constitution.
-------------------------------------------
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

A cell phone or a gun? Funny you should ask:

Never Bring A Cell Phone To A Gun Fight

As any security expert will tell you, the only way to ensure your safety when confronted by a gun-toting homicidal maniac on a murdering spree is to call the proper authorities and wait patiently for them to arrive as only they have the training and skills necessary to handle these situations. Among those proper authorities would be the police, the medical examiner, the mortician, the grief counselor and the obituary editor of your local paper.

But you can’t stop there. To be really safe, you have to take that extra step and make sure you advertise that fact as widely as possible, since the more people who know that a given area is populated by hundreds of defenseless pre-victims, the safer they’ll all be.

You can try this strategy yourself. The next time you’re going away for a few days, leave your house unlocked and make sure you update your facebook page, tweet your followers, and post your plans on Craig’s List, so as many people know as possible being sure to note in very stern language that burglary is illegal.

And then sit back and enjoy your worry-free trip.

Mr. Fimian’s opponent, current incumbent Congressman Gerry Connolly, had his campaign manager, James Walkinshaw, respond in the measured tones that have marked this campaign season, calling Fimian’s comments, “extreme,” “outrageous,” “way out of the mainstream," showing a “lack of regard for the victims of the tragedy,” and “too extreme.”

There was no word on whether Mr. Walkinshaw required oxygen afterwards.

richarcm

I'm going to phone bank for Fimian while OCing. Why am I supporting Fimian and not the Libertarian? Because I'm not a one issue person and I'm not a 3rd Party person. I don't WANT Connolly getting re-elected. You don't get much worse than Gerry and the reality is that a vote for Dotson is a vote thrown away that could stop Connolly.

SouthernBoy

I'm going to phone bank for Fimian while OCing. Why am I supporting Fimian and not the Libertarian? Because I'm not a one issue person and I'm not a 3rd Party person. I don't WANT Connolly getting re-elected. You don't get much worse than Gerry and the reality is that a vote for Dotson is a vote thrown away that could stop Connolly.

You're right. The last thing we need is people throwing away votes this election.

hunter45

I do believe that Fimian just made that apology to shut everyone up who was offended by his original comments. I don't think he was really sorry (at least I hope he wasn't sorry). I think we heard his real views the first time when he said an armed student could have prevented the VT tragedy. Although I wish Fimian would have stood by his comment and not have apologized.