• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does anyone in the Troy area reload?

malignity

I keep hearing how damn cheap it is to reload. Does anyone live in the Troy area by chance that could show me the basics? I know I can watch a hundred videos online, but nothing beats first hand experience. Feel free to message or PM me. Next time you reload, maybe I'll come see how its done.

jasonman17

I reload alot for the past 2 years I just got in to pistols and reloading for my 9mm. I keep all my spent brass and pick up from the range also. When I first started out I wanted something that could spit out ammo and fast.

I Got a Lee Progressive Pro 1000 for about $300 and it not that hard to set up but will take some time to get everything set just right (took me about 30min to put together and 1.5hrs to get the settings just right) and now I'm cranking out ammo as fast as I can pull the lever down and up and than after every few making sure the specs are right. I also us it for my .223 ammo also.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1288440566.832=/html/catalog/lp1000.html

another fun reloader to play with is the lee classic loader. cost about $35 and takes about .30 sec to make one round. take a look on youtube for them both or there website.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

HOWUDOINGOOD

With the weather turning colder, I will soon be cleaning up the reloading bench and start reloading again. I will be happy to show you my set up and anything else you would like to see or know.

thekunk47

Local reloading supplies

Shot Gun News is where I found the best deal on brass. You can get once fired for most calibers, in bags of a thousand cheep.

We have a local guy that sells reloading supplies..brass ,powder primers, projectiles...all at fair prices and local pickup. Call Jeff at 586-665-2000
For reloaded ammo contact George at 586-322-8185...another local source so no shipping is involved. Members get discounted prices.

maustin195

Anyone who carries a handgun should practice regularly, reloading makes that possible. Go to every single tire shop and car dealership you can find, and see if you can get their wheel weights monthly. If a doctors office closes down, you can get a couple hundred pounds of lead out of the xray room walls. If you really want to save money, cast your own. Also, sweep up all of your range brass, even other calibers, other reloaders will trade 9mm for .40s for instance. I've gotten several hundred casings this way. You can learn a lot from the ammosmith.com forums as well. I have been collecting my brass and lead since last year when I started collecting my reloading tools one by one, and have just started making my own bullets. I have 75 pounds of lead, and around 2200 casings, so all I have to buy right now, is primers and powder. 25$ fora pound of powder, in .40 it will make about 1,000 rounds. a pound of lead will get you about 30 bullets. The other day, I got 20$ for my B-day, and bought 400 primers, since I had the rest of the stuff already, I wound up with 400 rounds and McDonalds on that 20 bucks.

Get a turret press, no (progressives for beginners) I have a Lyman and its awesome. Holds 6 dies., or 5 with the powder measure. Buy the kit, it comes with the press, a trimmer, a scale, the powder measure a book, and a few odds and ends. It saves so much money this way. The scale is a jo0ke, get a beam scale. You will need a melting pot, the Lee 10 lb bottom pour works well. You will need a bullet mold, I got a Lyman, I love it. You must get a bullet puller, looks like a hammer, its about 20$. A small hammer to help with the mold, an oil bottle with a needle, to oil the press. A digital caliper. Safety glasses. Your dies, and a sizing die for the cast bullets. Oh yeah, figure out if you want to pan lube, or tumble lube. It is an investment, but it will pay you back really fast. You don't have to buy the most elaborite or most expensive tools, but buy the best that you can afford. There are cheaper ways to get into this, but you get what you pay for. See it through, you will be glad you did, saving a fortune, and in the end, making a far superior product than the store bought "generic" rounds. I still carry the PDX-1 Winchester store bought rounds, they hold together on impact better than the hornadys for instance, but for target practice lead is the way to go. There is a learning curve, I'm no expert, but its fun to learn, and I've been very happy with the results.

Lead is very bad for your health so you should invest in quality breathing protection also. Because of the health effects I wouldn't cast my own no matter how much I could save.

Michigander

Lead is very bad for your health so you should invest in quality breathing protection also. Because of the health effects I wouldn't cast my own no matter how much I could save.

Molten airborne lead requires extremely good respirators to counteract. "Regular" HEPA Organic AKA Stack filters even when brand new and not expired can have the lead go straight through them. I found this out the hard way when I thought my 20 dollar filters would keep me safe, and instead smelled lead. You'd want a 40+ dollar filter with a 200+ dollar PAPR if you were going to rely on a mask with a filter. THIS WOULD BE STUPID

The solution I suggest is to cast outside with a substantial fan blowing air away from you. It is an annoying proposition about 8 or 9 cold months per year in this state, but it is the best way to keep the air that you breathe clean.

Beerme

Banned

We actually had a gent come to the shop who was talking about how he has cast his own bullets for years, it does look like he has lead poisoning, skin was all iritated, red and nasty.

I would ignore this bit of advice from stainless and just pay for fmj bullets