• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I legally shot my shotgun?

rick12

I live in New Hanover County, NC and was wondering if it's legal to go into the woods outside of any incorporated towns and shot a shotgun. I found a public gunclub around Southport (about 45 miles away) that costs $20/day. I would like to practice for free a lot closer to home, if that's possible. Any information would be appriciated.

Michigander

Going to your state's sub forum would be a good first step.

Failing that, I'd suggest googling contacts for your state's natural resources forest ranger services or whatever they're called. They should be able to answer your questions with an email.

Also note that if you have your own land in a town where it isn't prohibited, you may very well be able to shoot on your land. Looking up local laws and verifying it with local law enforcement would be a good way to look into that, if applicable.