• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what legally defines a hospital?

lil_freak_66

We all know hospitals are OC w/ cpl only zones....

but what about places like doctors offices,would a cpl be required for such a place?

its something ive pondered for awhile now and i figure now is as good a time as any to ask...

NHCGRPR45

i'll expand on his question. what about after hour clinics? say like the one on hall road? its a beaumont emergency clinic, not a hospital but i suppose an in between? from doctor office and actual hospital, would that be a hospital under law??

great thread lil!

JoeSparky

Centurion
Can't speak to any SPECIAL definitions in your states law but from my experience in the health care field since 1979 here is my take on it....

Hospital: location where Patients are admitted, provided a bed and meals and are cared for on a 24/7 basis.
Stand alone emergency centers, clinics, URGENT care centers, dialysis centers, etc": locations in which OUT patients are cared for on a less than 24/7 basis. OVERNIGHT STAYS aren't expected by the clients and meals are not provided.

Also, a Hospital would need to be licensed as such by either the State or Federal Government and/or accredited by a recognized authority such as JCAHO.

Last edited:

Onnie

found this definition for a Michigan Hospital

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Part201mcl-368-1978-17-201generalprovisions_62376_7.pdf

(5) “Hospital” means a facility offering inpatient, overnight care, and services for observation, diagnosis, and active treatment of an individual with a medical, surgical, obstetric, chronic, or rehabilitative condition requiring the daily direction or supervision of a physician. Hospital does not include a mental health hospital licensed or operated by the department of community health or a hospital operated by the department of corrections

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

The beds are a key I think.. Overnight inpatient care "a facility offering inpatient, overnight care, and services for....."

well done Onnie

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Part201mcl-368-1978-17-201generalprovisions_62376_7.pdf

(5) “Hospital” means a facility offering inpatient, overnight care, and services for observation, diagnosis, and active treatment of an individual with a medical, surgical, obstetric, chronic, or rehabilitative condition requiring the daily direction or supervision of a physician. Hospital does not include a mental health hospital licensed or operated by the department of community health or a hospital operated by the department of corrections

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

great job! now if we could just get around private property rights all would be well in smurfville!

TheQ

Since it's not defined in the act in question, it may be appropriate to rely on a dictionary definition.

When in doubt, ask a lawyer though.

lil_freak_66

so by using that definition,an urgent care place or doctors office is NOT a restricted carry zone,and no cpl is needed for open carry there,correct?

lapeer20m

I disagree.

In my opinion, private property rights should trump state and federal law. If it's your place, you should be able to set the rules. The .gov shouldn't be able to tell you who can or can't smoke in your building. As a private property owner you should also be able to decide who can carry at your establishment. ie: if you own a hospital, or a bar, or a sports arena, you should be able to decide if people can carry there.

If you don't like the rules at a particular property, ie: a restaurant that allows smoking, then you are free to go to a different establishment. The government should not be telling you what you can and cannot do on your own property.

stainless1911

Banned
In the home we agree. In a business, no. The owner opened the business in a country that had peoples rights in place first. They knew it when they opened. If they want to restrict activities, they need to operate as a club with members. If they don't like the country's rights, then let them choose a different country to open up their business in.

budlight

so by using that definition,an urgent care place or doctors office is NOT a restricted carry zone,and no cpl is needed for open carry there,correct?

For doctors offices this is correct, UNLESS (like any other private business) there is a sign stating no firearms or you are told by a representative of the business that firearms are not allowed.

For urgent care, make sure that the building is not attached to the hospital, on hospital property, or any other way that someone could "twist" into defining as a hospital. I can picture some over zealous officer or prosecutor trying to make an urgent care fit into the definition of a hospital if it was on the same grounds or attached to the building. Remember, even if they are wrong, if you are charged it will cost money to defend the case.

Last edited:

TheQ

I disagree.

In my opinion, private property rights should trump state and federal law. If it's your place, you should be able to set the rules. The .gov shouldn't be able to tell you who can or can't smoke in your building. As a private property owner you should also be able to decide who can carry at your establishment. ie: if you own a hospital, or a bar, or a sports arena, you should be able to decide if people can carry there.

If you don't like the rules at a particular property, ie: a restaurant that allows smoking, then you are free to go to a different establishment. The government should not be telling you what you can and cannot do on your own property.

+1 +1

TheQ

In the home we agree. In a business, no. The owner opened the business in a country that had peoples rights in place first. They knew it when they opened. If they want to restrict activities, they need to operate as a club with members. If they don't like the country's rights, then let them choose a different country to open up their business in.

rj3663

How about an out building on hospital property? A building outside and not attatched by a catwalk, coverd breezway or anything...just on the outer edges of the parking lot and used as a community room or classroom?