Thread: No carry while bowhunting, add to the list of what needs to change

No carry while bowhunting, add to the list of what needs to change

I didn't think about this again until I started hunting this season.

I hunt deer exclusively with my bow. I like the challenge (read frustration).

In NC it is illegal to carry a pistol during bow only season.

It is already illegal to shoot a deer during this short season, so why do we need a law prohibiting me from carrying a pistol for self defense as some kind of back up law? I can walk around the private property I hunt on during this time with my pistol all I want. But as soon as I am also carrying a bow and wearing camo I become a criminal.

I know that Georgia specifically allows carrying during bow only, providing you have a concealed pistol permit.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

I agree. If there is already a law covering not shooting a deer with a firearm during Archery, then why do we need another law esentially saying the same thing. I was talking to a guy at the shooting range (Calibers) and he was telling me that he was archery hunting the other day. He was watching a deer come in then It stopped and somthing had spooked it. He was able to see his truck thru the woods and said that there was someone trying to break into it!! Not sure the reasoning behind the law but seems pretty stupid to me. Just my .02

I fully agree that the law should be changed for Bow & Arrow and Muzzleloader Seasons. Once again I would be carrying anyways if I didn't have the luxary of hunting on my own private land. Out in the woods, sometimes alone, is not the time to be unarmed just in case you come across some nut that wants to take advantage of the fact that you are in the woods, sometimes alone, and without a firearm to protect yourself with. Good luck with the hunting, hope you get plenty of meat for the freezer.
    "God, Guns, & Guts Made America, Lets Use All 3!!!"

Do we have any references to the law, I would like to cite an example when I contact my local representative.

Thanks,

High Point, North Carolina, United States
    In a way i kinda agree with this law, Its to prevent people using handguns on deer, and the barrel length, is a good idea...More accurate, so less wounded animals.
    Last edited by Preble; 11-18-2010 at 08:58 PM.

High Point, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulld View Post
    Do we have any references to the law, I would like to cite an example when I contact my local representative.

Thanks,

Its in the North Carolina Hunting/Trapping Regulations books you can get for free anywhere a hunting/fishing licenses are sold.

Its on page 41, and 46
    Last edited by Preble; 11-18-2010 at 08:59 PM.

This regulation is designed to keep people honest. It is in place to insure that an unscrupulus hunter does not shoot a deer with the pistol, then shove an arrow into the wound (in the case of a muzzleloading rifle for obvious reasons) in order to say that he or she took it legally. A modern handgun is defined as a legal hunting weapon and may not, along with any other modern weapon, be carried in the field during either bow-and-arrow or muzzleloader season. Here, the regulation is consistant. During bow season the only weapon you may have in the field is the bow-and-arrow. When muzzleloader season comes along, both bow-and-arrow and muzzleloaders are allowed. Then, when modern season opens, all are allowed.

From www.ncwildlife.org:

● It is unlawful to carry any type of firearm while bow-and-arrow
    hunting during the bow-and-arrow seasons.
    ● Dogs may not be used for hunting deer during the bow-andarrow [sic]
    or the muzzleloading firearm deer seasons.
    ● Pistols may not be carried while hunting deer during the
    muzzle loading firearm season.
    ● During the muzzleloading firearm season, only muzzleloading
    rifles, muzzleloading shotguns and permitted archery equip ment
    may be used. This applies to private lands and game lands.
    ● During the gun deer season, bow and arrows, pistols (as
    defined under manner of taking) and muzzleloading
    firearms are legal weapons.

I very much doubt that this regulation will ever be changed, but one never knows for sure.
    P.S. I did try to indent, but it wouldn't let me.