• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey, I'm New.

kel

Hello,

I've been lurking around the forum for weeks and finally joined. This is very interesting reading everything.

I don't know how much OCing I'll be doing though, I don't know if I have that look or not. I am 25 and drive a big black SUV with huge rims and I think if someone saw me getting out with a gun they would freak out. I do though however have an appointment to drop off my application and to get fingerprinted and photo taken for a CHP.

I've been in Colorado Springs for about 4 years now and have been to a lot of the places you guys talk about OCing but have not seen anyone OCing yet.

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself.

PikesPeakMtnMan

Welcome to OCDO!

Don't feel like you have to OC, I don't do much of it myself but I and others can attest to the fact that you will not have any problems OCing in the Springs or surrounding areas.

I wouldn't worry too much about your appearance when you OC. Sure, it is a factor to some but one of the reasons we carry openly is to get the public used to seeing people carrying guns around, no matter what they look like. Presenting yourself as confident (not cocky) and being polite with everyone that you encounter will go a long way.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Welcome, Kel, and hi, Strife!

As a Co-Springer, I almost always carry (exceptions being trips to any establishment where they're prohibited). Last night it was an empty .44 cal cap and ball black powder revolver stuck in my pirate's sash, but I was still carrying my loaded 9mm beneath my costume.

I have a CHP, CC about half the time, and feel significantly more self-conscious when I OC, primarily because I'm simply not a flashy person; I am more comfortable being reserved and blending in.

I choose to OC, however, for a several reasons:

First, even though the statistics are inconclusive with respect to whether or not OC is a deterrent, I believe it's because there simply isn't the right type of data readily available to make that determination.

Second, given what I know of both individual and group psychology, I believe it is a deterrent for the type of violent crime we have here in this city, which is almost always about robbery. What little gang/turf-war stuff goes on is largely limited to the south by southeast area of town, and most of that involves preselected targets. If I stick to my neck of the woods, the primary concern is prevention against robbery/assault, and I believe OC is an effective deterrent against this.

Third, I choose to OC because I'm a congenial, reasonably outgoing person, and I'd like to spread the message that those of us who choose to exercise our Contitutional rights are ordinary people, little different than themselves, except perhaps we choose to exercise our rights.

As a newcomer to both OC and the Springs, do take the time to review some of the threads here on OC do's and don'ts, and the forum maps which provide you with key data and links to the laws. The Rocky Mountain Gun Owners website has a FAQ page on gun ownership, various forms of carrying (OC, CC, car), and use.

In addition, we get together a few times each year, for eats and to get to know one another. It's always been a fairly relaxed affair, and once we even hit the range (Dragon Man) afterwards for some friendly plinking!

Again, welcome!

mahkagari

As a newcomer to both OC and the Springs, do take the time to review some of the threads here on OC do's and don'ts,

Where are some of those? I know we talk about it all the time, but I can't think of a consolidated thread off the top of my head. Someone want to start one?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Where are some of those? I know we talk about it all the time, but I can't think of a consolidated thread off the top of my head. Someone want to start one?

We talk about these all the time, but they're scattered throughout the CO threads.

Until I'm given mod status and can establish and prune a Colorado-specific sticky, I'm not going to start such a thread as it'd be a waste of time. It would simply get lost in the shuffle.

I've requested mod status so that I could do just that and more, but I've yet to hear back from either of the admins as to my request. If you think this would be a good idea, feel free to make a suggestion! I've got 25 years of forum admin experience, including three years with vB., so that's not an issue.

Last edited: