• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Mi Pistol in Vehicle

lapeer20m

For those of you with a MI Pistol, how do you carry it in your vehicle?

I don't really even know when i would ever have the need to carry mine in a vehicle, but i saw a photo of a ceiling mounted gun rack the other day, next thing i know i ended up putting this together yesterday.

photo.JPG

I wouldn't want to leave my mossy in the truck unattended, but the concept of a ceiling mounted mi pistol is intriguing. This is in a 1989 suburban that i primarily use for hauling my firewood trailer.

Just curious what others do.....

lapeer20m

^ works for me. :cool:

I don't have a MI pistol, but would probably set it up like the cops do. Wherever it is, draw speed would be one of the primary considerations.

I personally feel that vertical shotgun mount like you see in many police cars would draw too much negative attention from both police and thieves. However, the $289.00 system comes equipped with an electronic locking mechanism should make the firearm more difficult to get stolen. Also, increasing the complexity by using electronics you decrease the reliability in my humble opinion.

weapon_dual.jpg

Last edited:

budlight

IMO these are prohibited in Michigan due to the barrel length being less then 18, which makes it a "short barrel shotgun."

750.224b Short-barreled shotgun or rifle; manufacture, sale, or possession as felony; penalty; exceptions; applicability to collector's item.
Sec. 224b.

(1) A person shall not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, or possess a short-barreled shotgun or a short-barreled rifle.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.

(3) This section does not apply to the sale, offering for sale, or possession of a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun which the secretary of the treasury of the United States of America, or his or her delegate, under 26 USC, sections 5801 through 5872, or 18 USC, sections 921 through 928, has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector's item not likely to be used as a weapon, but only if the person selling, offering for sale or possessing the firearm has also fully complied with section 2 or 2a of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422 and 28.422a.

Section 20 of chapter 16 of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 776.20, applies to this subsection.

History: Add. 1978, Act 564, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 1978 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 196, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009

Last edited:

budlight

Not if it has a pistol grip/not designed to be fired from shoulder.

I stand corrected......

750.222 Definitions.

Sec. 222.

As used in this chapter:

(a) “Alcoholic liquor” means that term as defined in section 105 of the Michigan liquor control code of 1998, 1998 PA 58, MCL 436.1105.

(b) “Barrel length” means the internal length of a firearm as measured from the face of the closed breech of the firearm when it is unloaded, to the forward face of the end of the barrel.

(c) “Controlled substance” means a controlled substance or controlled substance analogue as those terms are defined in section 7104 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.7104.

(d) “Firearm” means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.

(e) “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

(f) “Purchaser” means a person who receives a pistol from another person by purchase, gift, or loan.

(g) “Seller” means a person who sells, furnishes, loans, or gives a pistol to another person.

(h) “Shotgun” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.

(i) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(j) “Rifle” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(k) “Short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having 1 or more barrels less than 16 inches in length or a weapon made from a rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

PDinDetroit

I saw a ceiling mount for a MI Pistol as well and thought it might be a good way to go. Another option I liked was possibly on the back of a seat somehow that could conceal it.