Thread: Man killed by police in Tacoma after raising gun

Man killed by police in Tacoma after raising gun

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Police shot and killed a man with a gun in the parking lot of the Ram Restaurant on Saturday night, according to a department spokesman.
    By Seattle Times staff

Police shot and killed a man with a gun in the parking lot of the Ram Restaurant on Saturday night, according to a department spokesman.
    Tacoma police Sgt. Mark Fulghum said officers responded to the restaurant on the Commencement Bay waterfront after patrons called to report a despondent man threatening suicide. When officers made verbal contact with the man in the parking lot, he repeatedly refused to show his hands or obey other orders, the sergeant said.
    “Eventually, he came up with a gun and pointed it at one of the officers,” Fulghum said. More than one officer fired, he said. It was not clear whether the man fired his weapon. Fulghum said detectives were at the scene after the shooting, which occurred about 8:15 p.m.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 10-31-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Suicide by cop... Crappy situation all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    Maybe the traditional "Leo Bashers" will pass on this one. Not their fault if someone wants to "check out". I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if anyone else went with him either.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

The guy got what he wanted.

Sadly.. I will still probably end up in a large family lawsuit where they will say he didn' want to die.. blah blah blah and end up costing the insurance and us a lot of money for their pain and suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Maybe the traditional "Leo Bashers" will pass on this one. Not their fault if someone wants to "check out". I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if anyone else went with him either.
    Last edited by BigDave; 10-31-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: slowed graphic
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Certainly not the LEOs' fault, I would defend myself too if someone pointed a gun at me.

This is a selfish way to off yourself IMO. It's sad that he couldn't see any other way to deal with his problems, but to me, it's monumentally selfish to involve other people in that decision. Those LEOs are human too and I'm sure all they wanted was for him to put the gun down. Unfortunately, he didn't give them much choice. I'm glad they are okay.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Certainly not the LEOs' fault, I would defend myself too if someone pointed a gun at me.

This is a selfish way to off yourself IMO. It's sad that he couldn't see any other way to deal with his problems, but to me, it's monumentally selfish to involve other people in that decision. Those LEOs are human too and I'm sure all they wanted was for him to put the gun down. Unfortunately, he didn't give them much choice. I'm glad they are okay.
    What she said!

Agreed.

Don't wave a gun at a police officer. It's an excellent way to get killed.

Whole situation sucks. Sounds like the guy just needed some help and an ear to yell into.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    Probably/maybe.

I wonder if he was drunk/high?

If he was truly suicidal, then too bad he had a gun.

It's unfortunate that someone didn't take it away from him, if they had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

By Seattle Times staff

Tacoma police Sgt. Mark Fulghum said officers responded to the restaurant on the Commencement Bay waterfront after patrons called to report a despondent man threatening suicide. When officers made verbal contact with the man in the parking lot, he repeatedly refused to show his hands or obey other orders, the sergeant said.
    “Eventually, he came up with a gun and pointed it at one of the officers,” Fulghum said. More than one officer fired, he said. It was not clear whether the man fired his weapon. Fulghum said detectives were at the scene after the shooting, which occurred about 8:15 p.m.

This sucks for everyone involved. Title is a little misleading though

Quote Originally Posted by killchain View Post
    Agreed.

Whole situation sucks. Sounds like the guy just needed some help and an ear to yell into.
    Don't wave a gun at anybody.
    Looks like a clear cut case of Suicide by Cop. They did what they had to do and I'm glad nobody else was hurt. It could have been a whole lot worse.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by killchain View Post
    Agreed.

Why should cops be so special? Don't wave your gun at anyone and expect to survive.