• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man killed by police in Tacoma after raising gun

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013305755_tacomashooting31.html?syndication=rss

Police shot and killed a man with a gun in the parking lot of the Ram Restaurant on Saturday night, according to a department spokesman.
By Seattle Times staff

Police shot and killed a man with a gun in the parking lot of the Ram Restaurant on Saturday night, according to a department spokesman.
Tacoma police Sgt. Mark Fulghum said officers responded to the restaurant on the Commencement Bay waterfront after patrons called to report a despondent man threatening suicide. When officers made verbal contact with the man in the parking lot, he repeatedly refused to show his hands or obey other orders, the sergeant said.
“Eventually, he came up with a gun and pointed it at one of the officers,” Fulghum said. More than one officer fired, he said. It was not clear whether the man fired his weapon. Fulghum said detectives were at the scene after the shooting, which occurred about 8:15 p.m.

Last edited:

massivedesign

Sadly.. I will still probably end up in a large family lawsuit where they will say he didn' want to die.. blah blah blah and end up costing the insurance and us a lot of money for their pain and suffering...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Maybe the traditional "Leo Bashers" will pass on this one. Not their fault if someone wants to "check out". I'm sure he wouldn't have cared if anyone else went with him either.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Ruby

Certainly not the LEOs' fault, I would defend myself too if someone pointed a gun at me.

This is a selfish way to off yourself IMO. It's sad that he couldn't see any other way to deal with his problems, but to me, it's monumentally selfish to involve other people in that decision. Those LEOs are human too and I'm sure all they wanted was for him to put the gun down. Unfortunately, he didn't give them much choice. I'm glad they are okay.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Certainly not the LEOs' fault, I would defend myself too if someone pointed a gun at me.

This is a selfish way to off yourself IMO. It's sad that he couldn't see any other way to deal with his problems, but to me, it's monumentally selfish to involve other people in that decision. Those LEOs are human too and I'm sure all they wanted was for him to put the gun down. Unfortunately, he didn't give them much choice. I'm glad they are okay.

What she said!

killchain

Agreed.

Don't wave a gun at a police officer. It's an excellent way to get killed.

Whole situation sucks. Sounds like the guy just needed some help and an ear to yell into. :(

superdeluxe

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013305755_tacomashooting31.html?syndication=rss

By Seattle Times staff

Tacoma police Sgt. Mark Fulghum said officers responded to the restaurant on the Commencement Bay waterfront after patrons called to report a despondent man threatening suicide. When officers made verbal contact with the man in the parking lot, he repeatedly refused to show his hands or obey other orders, the sergeant said.
“Eventually, he came up with a gun and pointed it at one of the officers,” Fulghum said. More than one officer fired, he said. It was not clear whether the man fired his weapon. Fulghum said detectives were at the scene after the shooting, which occurred about 8:15 p.m.

This sucks for everyone involved. Title is a little misleading though

Kryteon

Agreed.

Don't wave a gun at a police officer. It's an excellent way to get killed.

Whole situation sucks. Sounds like the guy just needed some help and an ear to yell into. :(

Don't wave a gun at anybody.
Looks like a clear cut case of Suicide by Cop. They did what they had to do and I'm glad nobody else was hurt. It could have been a whole lot worse.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.