• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC in car without a CC permit

Soonerfan

According to C.R.S 18-12-105, It's perfectly legal as long as you are "A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling".

I'm not sure if this also protects you when you leave your gun in the car while you go into Walmart or not.

PikesPeakMtnMan

It's perfectly legal to have your gun in your car, however you wish, no matter what. The only place you would have to concern yourself with how or if you leave your gun in your car is school grounds. Without a a CHP, you cannot have a gun on K-12 school grounds, unless you are in your car with your gun and do not leave your car.....on college grounds it must be unloaded and left in your car if you go walking around. With a CHP, things are little different.

This is covered under CRS 18-12-105.5

Note that I'm not speaking to the practicality (or not) of leaving a gun in a vehicle, just point out the legalities.

since9

Campaign Veteran
This is covered under CRS 18-12-105.5

Here's the actual link.

Given: "(3) It shall not be an offense under this section if: (b) The person is in that person's own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under that person's control at the time of the act of carrying..."

It could be argued that one is always in control of the property beneath one's feet. Provided one isn't tresspassing, one has "control" of this property by rule of law known as "right of way." I wouldn't press the issue in any court of law unless I had the best dang lawyer in the state, however, if not the country.

Regardless, this conflicts with the superceding federal laws regarding carry near K-12 school grounds.

However, these restrictions have several exemptions:

(3) It shall not be an offense under this section if:

(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3)

and 18-12-214 (3) says:

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that:

(a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked;

(b) A permittee who is employed or retained by contract by a school district as a school security officer may carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvement erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school while the permittee is on duty;

(c) A permittee may carry a concealed handgun on undeveloped real property owned by a school district that is used for hunting or other shooting sports.

So, state law says:

With CHP:

K-12, ok while in vehicle, but if not in vehicle, the firearm must be within a closed compartment and the vehicle locked, unless one is a school security officer or one is on school property used for hunting/shooting.

Last edited:

Beau

LEOs are about the worst people from whom to get legal advice.

The law says, quite clearly, that a concealed weapon in your vehicle is not illegal.

Agreed. We got it straightened out though.

He is a pretty cool guy. We are on a volunteer fire department together and he totally supports carry by us lowly subjects. He is not a fan of OC but doesn't condemn it.

Gunslinger

I had an ex Denver LEO try and tell me different the other day. Said it couldn't be with in reach or you had to go through more than one step to access it.

The x leo is wrong. Typical of Denver cops. Carry it any way and anywhere you choose in your car. Full state preemption.

Last edited:

Flyer22

I know that this is an old thread, but it's been quite a while since I've been on this forum. I've stayed away far longer than I should have.

I see that several people mentioned CRS 18-12-105, but I'm a little disappointed that nobody apparently thought to mention CRS 18-12-204:

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or
(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

In my opinion, that's in many ways the most relevant law concerning guns in cars.

Gunslinger

I know that this is an old thread, but it's been quite a while since I've been on this forum. I've stayed away far longer than I should have.

I see that several people mentioned CRS 18-12-105, but I'm a little disappointed that nobody apparently thought to mention CRS 18-12-204:

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or
(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

In my opinion, that's in many ways the most relevant law concerning guns in cars.

When I said carry it any way you want in your car--including thru Denver, I thought this was asked and answered. 12-105 or 204--one is an exclusory and one is a permitted province of the statutes. Both give the same answer, as is often the case, and some consider a waste of time, in state RSAs. Sometimes the simple answers are the best for an OP. Hence, my succinct one liner. A more important point, however, is another example of a cop who doesn't know the law--and an important one, at that.

JamesB

I was actually charged with this one year ago in denver. It took nine months to work its way through the court system.eventually everything was dismissed.

My point is that sadly you can spend literally thousands of dollars to prove that everything you did was legal.

Gunslinger

I was actually charged with this one year ago in denver. It took nine months to work its way through the court system.eventually everything was dismissed.

My point is that sadly you can spend literally thousands of dollars to prove that everything you did was legal.

Malicious prosecution suit is a remedy. Proving malice can be tough, but reckless disregard of the law is often accepted prima facie. Not sure in Colorado, however. If you win, they pay your expenses and you can get significant punitive damages.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Yours is one of the many shameful examples that we honest, law-abiding citizens must endure through pain, misery, and thousands of dollars, just to see the wheels of justice adhere to the laws upon which they're riding.

Hope you don't mind, but I've been keeping a record of yours and similar efforts in the hopes of one day presenting measures before both my state and our country which would require either the state or the department of justice to pay for any and all legal expenses associated with any city/county/state legal action taken against a justifiable shooting.

When I lived in WA, I read about three such incidents which were dismissed before they ever became an issue. It's a monetary incentive for local/state prosecutors to NOT tackle self-defense issues unless they're dang sure the defendant acted well outside the bounds of the law.