• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Capital area as an armed tourist destination

VApatriot

If you visit the General Assembly building, you must have a CHP to enter armed, but you may carry either OC or CC. I am not 100% sure if this also applies to the Capital Building and the Governors Mansion (someone please clarify), but I know that the Capital grounds are ok for OC without a permit.

You need to watch out for any buildings that are part of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), as they are spread around downtown, and it is illegal to carry on those buildings.

Almost everything else that I can think of follows standard VA law. Parks (local or national) and local government buildings are ok, and any private businesses can make their own rules.

I have personally OC'd all around the Capital amd GA and to the Museum of the Confederacy in downtown Richmond, and I have never had any problems.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You'll have some problems with security in most of the state office buildings like the SCC, Etc.

There is a big question mark about preemption and state offices.

virginiatuck

If you visit the General Assembly building, you must have a CHP to enter armed, but you may carry either OC or CC. I am not 100% sure if this also applies to the Capital Building and the Governors Mansion (someone please clarify), but I know that the Capital grounds are ok for OC without a permit.

It's specifically "the Capitol and the General Assembly Building," per Joint Rules.
http://www.virginia1774.org/JointRules.pdf