• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adams Firearms Training

Tribunal Power

So I'm looking into my CCDW class, and this place has one on November 13th. I want to sign up, but I'm a little concerned. This fellow wants me to cut him a check-- a $35 deposit-- to put towards the class fee upon signing up for the class. I think that seems a little odd... He wants me to send him a check in advance, despite the fact that I'll be showing up there in a week or two?

I wanted to post on here to find out if this fellow is legit. He seems like a good guy, but con men wear nice masks. Just want to make sure that I actually will be put in a class with an actual CCDW instructor if I cut him the check. Sure, it's only $35 bucks, but if I liked getting robbed, I wouldn't want a CCDW. xD

So? Any experiences with this fellow? Can anyone vouch for him? His website is below. I talked to him through email.

He's Robert G. Adams of Adams Firearms Training. He trains out of Frankfort, KY.

www.adamsfirearmstraining.com

... Like I said, he seems legit and all, but I've seen some pretty elaborate schemes in my day. I just want to be 100% sure before I write a check.

Tribunal Power

I do not know how Mr. Adams and have never heard of him, but I can assure you it is not unusual to ask for deposits from prospective students. I was an instructor for 10 yrs. You don't know how many times I had 6 or 7 no shows for a class that was scheduled or 8 or 9. This left me with 1 or 2 paying customers for a 8 hour class. I felt obligated to those that showed, but spent all day teaching the class for almost nothing. After this happened a couple of times I started insisting on deposits, no more no shows. Do you really think a man who is operating a local business in Frankfort and you know his address and phone number is going to cheat you out of $35? Is this what you call an elaborate scheme?

My friend, I've long since given up on try to predict what people will and won't do, and how low they can sink.

Just because he gave me an address and says he's a local business owner doesn't mean I'm gonna trust him with my money. Like I said, everything looks legit. He presents well, he seems nice, and I doubt there will be any problems. But like my buddy Ron once said, "Trust but verify." There's no harm in certainty.

I totally understand the need for the deposit. That doesn't make me any more comfortable, however, with sending a check to someone that I've never heard of or know anything about. I'm just trying to get some perspective before I sign up.

Honestly, having had some time to really think it over and scour his website, I'll probably do it anyway. Considering my other avenues of taking the class look like they could take months, I think I'd rather be out $35 given the chance of taking the class than just sit around and wait for another instructor.

And, for the record, if I somehow insulted your integrity as a prior instructor, I apologize. I say this because I detected a hint of animocity in the last few sentences of your comment. That was not my intent. That said, I do appreciate your reassurance on the subject.

Last edited:

JMJOHN0055

I know when I went through my CCDW training at Bluegrass Indoor Range here in Louisville, I had to put the whole $75 down as a deposit. Does it seem strange to me that this fellow wants $35 in advance? Not really. There is some material that an individual instructor may not be able to afford without a deposit. I would definitely watch my bank account very closely, but I do that as a matter of habit anyway.

Keep us posted, and best of luck on getting your CCDW!

klloyd

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
I paid my instructor $75, up front, more than a month in advace. Didnt know him from "Adam." I understand your point, some one is always taking your money, but in this case, I think its the real deal! ; ) Like GunShot said, they need an assurance that some one is coming, and if you pay up front, you most likely will come to class to get what you paid for. I think $35 up front is a deal! I'd go for it! Enjoy your CC ability, its a lot of fun. And man o man what new stuff you will be able to buy just to carry concealed! That $35 is gonna be the least of your spending worries! : )

neuroblades

A Security Idea!

In reference to the issue of having to front money for ANYTHING, be it a class such as this or internet orders or whatever; if and when you are doing any kind of business with people or companies that you're not sure about, I've found the idea way of protecting yourself! :)

Go to Wal Mart and purchase the VISA Money Card ($3) and then just load the funds needed to the card. This way the worst that can happen is you lose that small amount versus putting your credit card in danger, your accounts in danger, as well as losing even more funds that are attached to a credit card.

This is the ONLY way I will deal with anyone or any company that I'm not familiar with. This way I only risk losing what I've loaded to the card and nothing else. :)

Tribunal Power

In reference to the issue of having to front money for ANYTHING, be it a class such as this or internet orders or whatever; if and when you are doing any kind of business with people or companies that you're not sure about, I've found the idea way of protecting yourself! :)

Go to Wal Mart and purchase the VISA Money Card ($3) and then just load the funds needed to the card. This way the worst that can happen is you lose that small amount versus putting your credit card in danger, your accounts in danger, as well as losing even more funds that are attached to a credit card.

This is the ONLY way I will deal with anyone or any company that I'm not familiar with. This way I only risk losing what I've loaded to the card and nothing else. :)

That's brilliant. I'll do that for future expendatures.

I mailed the check off today. I appreciate the replies to this topic. My class will be on the 13th. :p

neuroblades

That's brilliant. I'll do that for future expendatures.

I mailed the check off today. I appreciate the replies to this topic. My class will be on the 13th. :p

Thank you Tribunal Power. I came to this conclusion about dealing with little know or possible scammers about a year or so ago. It's the ONLY way I'll deal with internet based transactions!

Tribunal Power

As it turns out, this was an awesome time.

Rob is an amazing instructor, and offered a wealth of extra information at no extra charge while keeping the athmosphere cheery and somewhat silly, yet still maintaining that firearms are to be taken very seriously.

He is a Glock armorer, and knows those guns better than I know my wife. This guy does this not to get rich, but because he enjoys doing it-- and I enjoyed the class.

I fully intend to sign up for some of his Advanced Self Defense classes. If any of you are interested in those, or if you still need your CCDW, go to Rob. He's excellent.

Also, if anyone is specifically interested in the Level 1 SD class, let me know-- after two people are signed up, the cost for everyone goes down as more people attend.

Overall, had a great day in hid class, and am looking forward to getting my CC permit.

Murray State Ag

not wierd. i had to pay the entire 85 dollars a week and a half in advance with my credit card over the phone with open range in Lagrange