Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nonresident Open Carry?

Nonresident Open Carry?

He yall, im from West Texas and I often go to New Mexico. Your open carry is a plus in my book and I was wondering if it applies to me since im a Texan? I dont have a CHL and wont never have one either! Im not restricted as a felon or anything, im just hard headed!
    Does the NM open carry law apply to me?

Thumbs up

Yes Mate you can Open carry here
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Quote Originally Posted by MR Redenck View Post
    He yall, im from West Texas and I often go to New Mexico. Your open carry is a plus in my book and I was wondering if it applies to me since im a Texan? I dont have a CHL and wont never have one either! Im not restricted as a felon or anything, im just hard headed!
    Does the NM open carry law apply to me?
    Yes, New Mexico Statues apply to any and every person who is within the geographic boundaries of the state, regardless of residency. You are allowed to openly carry a firearm in most places within the state of NM. The exceptions to this include the normal, police stations, businesses posted no firearms and all businesses that sale alcohol for on-site consumption.

You are also allowed to conceal on your person or anywhere in your vehicle, as long as the firearm is not concealed when you exit the vehicle. In fact, your vehicle is considered to be an extension of your home in NM.

Good luck with your travels to and through the Land of Enchantment (or is it En(rich)ment).
    Last edited by constitutional_carry_nm; 11-02-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by constitutional_carry_nm View Post
    Yes, New Mexico Statues apply to any and every person who is within the geographic boundaries of the state, regardless of residency. You are allowed to openly carry a firearm in most places within the state of NM. The exceptions to this include the normal, police stations, businesses posted no firearms and all businesses that sale alcohol for on-site consumption.

You are also allowed to conceal on your person or anywhere in your vehicle, as long as the firearm is not concealed when you exit the vehicle. In fact, your vehicle is considered to be an extension of your home in NM.

Good luck with your travels to and through the Land of Enchantment (or is it En(rich)ment).
    You also can not open carry in places that sell alcohol for off-site consumption. This includes the majority of grocery stores and gas stations.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Why don't people at least make a cursory look for themselves first.
    http://www.opencarry.org/nm.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by castiel View Post
    You also can not open carry in places that sell alcohol for off-site consumption. This includes the majority of grocery stores and gas stations.
    Including most walmarts around here...

-Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Including most walmarts around here...

-Damien
    I use to go to SE New Mexico a lot, not so much in the past couple of Obamanation years.
    I never really noticed if stores had to post on the door if they sold alcohol for outside consumption or not.
    How do yall handle this restriction? Do they post it on the door or do you just have to guess?

Quote Originally Posted by castiel View Post
    I was under the impression that the law changed for places that sold alcohol for off site comsumption, if not so you New Mexicans need to get on the ball! I love your state and would lake to come and ride horeses there soon and don`t want to get in trouble for open carry if I come across a store and wish to get a sody-pop.
    Last edited by rickc1962; 11-20-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickc1962 View Post
    I was under the impression that the law changed for places that sold alcohol for off site comsumption, if not so you New Mexicans need to get on the ball! I love your state and would lake to come and ride horeses there soon and don`t want to get in trouble for open carry if I come across a store and wish to get a sody-pop.
    http://www.democracyfornewmexico.com...w_mexico/guns/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

No. It remains that you can only carry in such places with a CCW license. No open carry.

I am not aware of places needing to post that they sell alcohol. That is up to you to know before you go in. If you're unsure, call ahead.

Thanks for the link; some good anti-gun stuff there. I gess I can`t ride my horse across border, spend a night or two and go to a store, Thats to bad.

Thanks for the link; some good anti-gun stuff there. I gess I can`t ride my horse across border, spend a night or two and go to a store, Thats to bad.
    Sure you can. Just don't go to stores that sell alcohol. Not all of them do.

You could also get an AZ license and be good to go in many states in addition to AZ and NM, if you want to conceal.

So to clarify, I read the NM OC page, just gibberish to me except for the car part.

I just moved to ABQ from Alabama and have a valid CCW license for AL, but do not have an ABQ DL or CCW yet, would it be legal for me to open carry? I had a security guard(ex cop) for work here mention I had to fill out some form first?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxinc View Post
    So to clarify, I read the NM OC page, just gibberish to me except for the car part.

I just moved to ABQ from Alabama and have a valid CCW license for AL, but do not have an ABQ DL or CCW yet, would it be legal for me to open carry? I had a security guard(ex cop) for work here mention I had to fill out some form first?
    Yes, it is legal for you to OC here.

You follow and are bound by the laws of the state you are in.

The person who told you that has no idea what he is talking about.

Go to handgunlaw.us and familiarize yourself with the NM state gun laws.

Awesome, thanks.

Now I just need a hip holster, as my shoulder holster is now useless T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxinc View Post
    Awesome, thanks.

Now I just need a hip holster, as my shoulder holster is now useless T_T
    Not sure why you think your shoulder rig is "now useless."

On the other hand, having a selection of holsters is decidedly beneficial/nice.

My shoulder rig is for conceal carry, in AL all I had to do to get a license was fill out a form and pass the background check, here in NM I have to pass a course that runs 150+ and pay the fee for the app which is another 100 bucks. Honestly I don't have that kind of money, that's literally almost what I paid for my pistol. Rather just open carry.

Just so nobody comes in mad saying "you guys didn't tell me!"

Obviously no OC anywhere that sells booze for off site consumption, but really no place that sells booze period. No bars, restaurants that serve etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mserr View Post
    Just so nobody comes in mad saying "you guys didn't tell me!"

Obviously no OC anywhere that sells booze for off site consumption, but really no place that sells booze period. No bars, restaurants that serve etc.
    What about CC with an unloaded weapon? I noticed you dont need a license in NM to CC a unloaded handgun.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by MR Redenck View Post
    What about CC with an unloaded weapon? I noticed you dont need a license in NM to CC a unloaded handgun.
    No. See N.M.S.A. 30-7-3.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

So if I am riding my motorcycle through your great state I am allowed to open carry as long as I do not enter government buildings or anywhere alcohol is served or sold?? Am I correct? I am from Indiana and have a valid lifetime Personal Protection Permit for concealed carry. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate your time.

Pretty Much So...

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    So if I am riding my motorcycle through your great state I am allowed to open carry as long as I do not enter government buildings or anywhere alcohol is served or sold?? Am I correct? I am from Indiana and have a valid lifetime Personal Protection Permit for concealed carry. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate your time.
    Simply, schools, state parks, universities, courts, and places that sell liquor are off-limits for open carry. On private property, where the owners asks you and your gun to leave or a no guns notice is posted, you need to do so. Otherwise, things are pretty wide open.

Indiana recognizes New Mexico concealed carry permits, but New Mexico does not recognize Indiana permits. (The opposite is true, in the case of New Mexico and Ohio -- go figure.)

Enjoy your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by NMBill View Post
    Simply, schools, state parks, universities, courts, and places that sell liquor are off-limits for open carry. On private property, where the owners asks you and your gun to leave or a no guns notice is posted, you need to do so. Otherwise, things are pretty wide open.

Indiana recognizes New Mexico concealed carry permits, but New Mexico does not recognize Indiana permits. (The opposite is true, in the case of New Mexico and Ohio -- go figure.)

Enjoy your visit.

Thank you very much.

As far as I'm aware there are no restrictions on state buildings. Anyone know anything indicating otherwise?

That is correct. However, all Federal buildings are off limits. Not only post offices, but any building of a federal nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast