• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nonresident Open Carry?

MR Redenck

He yall, im from West Texas and I often go to New Mexico. Your open carry is a plus in my book and I was wondering if it applies to me since im a Texan? I dont have a CHL and wont never have one either! Im not restricted as a felon or anything, im just hard headed!
Does the NM open carry law apply to me?

He yall, im from West Texas and I often go to New Mexico. Your open carry is a plus in my book and I was wondering if it applies to me since im a Texan? I dont have a CHL and wont never have one either! Im not restricted as a felon or anything, im just hard headed!
Does the NM open carry law apply to me?

Yes, New Mexico Statues apply to any and every person who is within the geographic boundaries of the state, regardless of residency. You are allowed to openly carry a firearm in most places within the state of NM. The exceptions to this include the normal, police stations, businesses posted no firearms and all businesses that sale alcohol for on-site consumption.

You are also allowed to conceal on your person or anywhere in your vehicle, as long as the firearm is not concealed when you exit the vehicle. In fact, your vehicle is considered to be an extension of your home in NM.

Good luck with your travels to and through the Land of Enchantment (or is it En(rich)ment).

Last edited:

castiel

Yes, New Mexico Statues apply to any and every person who is within the geographic boundaries of the state, regardless of residency. You are allowed to openly carry a firearm in most places within the state of NM. The exceptions to this include the normal, police stations, businesses posted no firearms and all businesses that sale alcohol for on-site consumption.

You are also allowed to conceal on your person or anywhere in your vehicle, as long as the firearm is not concealed when you exit the vehicle. In fact, your vehicle is considered to be an extension of your home in NM.

Good luck with your travels to and through the Land of Enchantment (or is it En(rich)ment).

You also can not open carry in places that sell alcohol for off-site consumption. This includes the majority of grocery stores and gas stations.

MR Redenck

Including most walmarts around here...

-Damien

I use to go to SE New Mexico a lot, not so much in the past couple of Obamanation years.
I never really noticed if stores had to post on the door if they sold alcohol for outside consumption or not.
How do yall handle this restriction? Do they post it on the door or do you just have to guess?

rickc1962

You also can not open carry in places that sell alcohol for off-site consumption. This includes the majority of grocery stores and gas stations.

I was under the impression that the law changed for places that sold alcohol for off site comsumption, if not so you New Mexicans need to get on the ball! I love your state and would lake to come and ride horeses there soon and don`t want to get in trouble for open carry if I come across a store and wish to get a sody-pop.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

AH.74

I was under the impression that the law changed for places that sold alcohol for off site comsumption, if not so you New Mexicans need to get on the ball! I love your state and would lake to come and ride horeses there soon and don`t want to get in trouble for open carry if I come across a store and wish to get a sody-pop.

No. It remains that you can only carry in such places with a CCW license. No open carry.

I am not aware of places needing to post that they sell alcohol. That is up to you to know before you go in. If you're unsure, call ahead.

AH.74

Thanks for the link; some good anti-gun stuff there. I gess I can`t ride my horse across border, spend a night or two and go to a store, Thats to bad.

Sure you can. Just don't go to stores that sell alcohol. Not all of them do.

You could also get an AZ license and be good to go in many states in addition to AZ and NM, if you want to conceal.

Jaxinc

So to clarify, I read the NM OC page, just gibberish to me except for the car part.

I just moved to ABQ from Alabama and have a valid CCW license for AL, but do not have an ABQ DL or CCW yet, would it be legal for me to open carry? I had a security guard(ex cop) for work here mention I had to fill out some form first?

AH.74

So to clarify, I read the NM OC page, just gibberish to me except for the car part.

I just moved to ABQ from Alabama and have a valid CCW license for AL, but do not have an ABQ DL or CCW yet, would it be legal for me to open carry? I had a security guard(ex cop) for work here mention I had to fill out some form first?

Yes, it is legal for you to OC here.

You follow and are bound by the laws of the state you are in.

The person who told you that has no idea what he is talking about.

Go to handgunlaw.us and familiarize yourself with the NM state gun laws.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Awesome, thanks.

Now I just need a hip holster, as my shoulder holster is now useless T_T

Not sure why you think your shoulder rig is "now useless."

On the other hand, having a selection of holsters is decidedly beneficial/nice.

Jaxinc

My shoulder rig is for conceal carry, in AL all I had to do to get a license was fill out a form and pass the background check, here in NM I have to pass a course that runs 150+ and pay the fee for the app which is another 100 bucks. Honestly I don't have that kind of money, that's literally almost what I paid for my pistol. Rather just open carry.

mserr

Just so nobody comes in mad saying "you guys didn't tell me!"

Obviously no OC anywhere that sells booze for off site consumption, but really no place that sells booze period. No bars, restaurants that serve etc.

MR Redenck

Just so nobody comes in mad saying "you guys didn't tell me!"

Obviously no OC anywhere that sells booze for off site consumption, but really no place that sells booze period. No bars, restaurants that serve etc.

What about CC with an unloaded weapon? I noticed you dont need a license in NM to CC a unloaded handgun.