Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: DWI Roadblock in Washington...

  1. #1
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    DWI Roadblock in Washington...

    I was getting my lunch packed this evening for tomorrow morning, and I realized that I was out of soda, so I decided to run over to WalMart late tonight (around 1am). Of course, I was OCing my Para, but it's sort of chilly tonight, so I put on a jacket, and hopped in the car.

    As I'm coming into the city limits, I notice a BUNCH of flashing blues in the road, and there was a big construction floodlight in the middle of the road. I guess because it's Halloween, they have DWI checkpoints up. So I pull out y DL and CHP (because I'm wearing it, under a coat, with a seatbelt on) and roll down my window as I come to a stop.

    Officer looks at my cards, as I am informing him that I'm carrying. He says "yeah, I kind of figured...", hands me back my cards and waves me through...

    I do my shopping, and start home, and of course, I have to pass through the roadblock again...

    A different officer is standing on the westbound lanes, and so I go through the same drill--cars in hand, window down, roll to a stop. He pulls out his flashlight, and goes around to the FRONT of my car (where I have the "novelty plate" that says "OPEN CARRY"), then comes to my window. I hand him my cards and inform him that I'm carrying.

    He says, "yeah, I thought you probably were... Nice license plate you've got on the front." he says with a grin as he hands me back my cards, and waves me through...

    So this just confirms my previous experience that at least in Washington, the local "boys in blue" have no issue at all with open carry, and actually approve of it...

    I can only imagine how this might have gone down differently in Greenville, Raleigh or Jacksonville...

    Or (heaven forbid) Maryland... (shudder...)
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  2. #2
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Sweet deal.

    I find that the Fayetteville area is just as accommodating. I'm sure there's a negative situation with my name on it somewhere out there in the future some time, but so far it's been rather enjoyable.

  3. #3
    mattwestm
    Guest
    I think Raleigh or Durham would probably be the worst in the state. Asheville might be pretty bad too. That city tends to be pretty liberal. Greenville cops might be a bit jumpy because of the shootings here and immature college students. I'm glad you didn't have any issues.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    I've done a very small amount of carry in Greenville and Asheville, with slightly more in Raleigh, all without issue.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I've done a very small amount of carry in Greenville and Asheville, with slightly more in Raleigh, all without issue.

    Yeah, when I was in Asheville this summer, I took my German nephew to the range, and then we went for lunch at a fast-food joint, and I was OCing the entire time, with no issues at all.

    I was pleasantly surprised, given the liberal/hippy reputation that Asheville has...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pittsboro, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    212
    Ok, so why is Raleigh getting a bad rap on this issue? I have been open carrying in Raleigh for years and have never once had an issue with LEO while doing so. To the contrary, actually had a decent and positive conversation with a couple of them, while open carrying.

    I have noticed that if you go into the situation like you are doing nothing wrong or any different than anyone else, they tend to not have any concerns. However, if you act nervous or over-anxious about something, then you get treated as such. Of course that goes with the fact that your incident is not due to someone calling the police about the whole "man with a gun" concern.
    Last edited by acritical; 11-01-2010 at 04:52 PM.

  7. #7
    mattwestm
    Guest
    I lived in Raleigh for 18 years and while the cops there were pretty cool about stuff, some of the citizens probably are not. It's mainly about location in the state and transplants. I think people east of I-95 are going to be more laid back about OC and guns in general than some people in Raleigh. The Raleigh area has a lot of transplants from other states. They may not be used to seeing someone open carrying a handgun. I'd probably have a greater chance of a soccer mom calling the police on me in Raleigh than in Eastern NC. That being said, I've OC'd in Raleigh plenty of times and I've never had any issues. I used to shoot at Eagle 1 and it's always filled with LEOs and none of them even blink an eye to OC.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    I've only been to Eagle One once, and I liked it much better than my usual PDHSC. It's worth the extra drive IMO.

    Dreamer, what range did you go to in Asheville? Also, was it also a gun shop and do they rent?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Resto Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    186

    Washington checkpoint-

    Did they have the big bus parked there?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508
    It's nice that they respected your 2A rights while trampling your 4th and 5th.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Dreamer, what range did you go to in Asheville? Also, was it also a gun shop and do they rent?

    On Target was the range name.

    Yes it is also a gun shop.

    And yes, they rent, and have a pretty good selection of handguns for rental. They even had 3 different Para's in the rental case...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  12. #12
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    On Target was the range name.

    Yes it is also a gun shop.

    And yes, they rent, and have a pretty good selection of handguns for rental. They even had 3 different Para's in the rental case...
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cameron NC, , USA
    Posts
    113
    Whatever you do, watch your back in Aberdeen (Moore County) - OCing here will get you a carrying a concealed weapon charge, I got one Friday.. no joke. Too bad the Senior Investigator told my arresting officer that he should really reconsider the charge, and that he would be more than happy to be subpoenaed on my behalf

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lake Normanopolis, NC
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Whatever you do, watch your back in Aberdeen (Moore County) - OCing here will get you a carrying a concealed weapon charge, I got one Friday.. no joke. Too bad the Senior Investigator told my arresting officer that he should really reconsider the charge, and that he would be more than happy to be subpoenaed on my behalf
    I can hear it now...

    So officer, what did you have to move to see the weapon?

    -R

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Sweet deal.

    I find that the Fayetteville area is just as accommodating. I'm sure there's a negative situation with my name on it somewhere out there in the future some time, but so far it's been rather enjoyable.
    I just moved to Fayetteville and have already been approached more times then the previous two years I lived in VA.
    So far nothing negative and everyone was curious and polite.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    It's nice that they respected your 2A rights while trampling your 4th and 5th.
    Thats what I am talking about, but take it a step further, the fact that the gentleman that posted offered his "permission card" actualy means he was not excercising a right.

    It is not for everyone but when I go through a DUI checkpoint. I Say, "I do not consent"

  17. #17
    Regular Member Northerner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    I've only been to Eagle One once, and I liked it much better than my usual PDHSC. It's worth the extra drive IMO.

    Great group of guys and they allow shot gun for $5 (not many indoor ranges do) but the lanes are a bit dark. IMO

  18. #18
    Regular Member COMMANDER1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Flintstone, GA
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Thats what I am talking about, but take it a step further, the fact that the gentleman that posted offered his "permission card" actualy means he was not excercising a right.

    It is not for everyone but when I go through a DUI checkpoint. I Say, "I do not consent"
    North Carolina is a must inform state. As wrong as it may be, they can haul you in to jail on a CW charge if you don't notify the officer immediately.

  19. #19
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Great group of guys and they allow shot gun for $5 (not many indoor ranges do) but the lanes are a bit dark. IMO
    I really like their customer service and prices. I bought my XD-9 there. When I lived in Raleigh, that's the only place I would shoot at. I think they are trying to open an ourdoor range somewhere? The only problem is sometimes they don't have the greatest selection, but their main market is defense/LE weapons. They never seem to carry anything besides ARs, tactical shotguns, and the occasional Remington 700 or similar.

    I like my local shop in Winterville, but I have yet to buy any guns from them. Their prices are a bit high...

  20. #20
    Regular Member elixin77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Greenville, NC, ,
    Posts
    591
    Which shop? D&L, or adventure outfitters?

    I've always thought that D&L was a bit high, but AO prices are very fair, and sometimes cheaper than elsewhere
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

    Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cameron NC, , USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by rdinatal View Post
    I can hear it now...

    So officer, what did you have to move to see the weapon?

    -R
    Yeah, he told me if I didn't have the gun/holster strapped to the top of my head (so it can be seen from 360 degrees), then I'd get the concealed charge. What an idiot?

    If I had the money, I'd go buy three other pistols and wear them at 3, 6, 9 and 12...

    They even seized my carry gun (a Smith 4006, yeah, conceal that!) until my court date at the earliest...?

  22. #22
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    Which shop? D&L, or adventure outfitters?

    I've always thought that D&L was a bit high, but AO prices are very fair, and sometimes cheaper than elsewhere
    Eagle One, in Raleigh.

  23. #23
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Yeah, he told me if I didn't have the gun/holster strapped to the top of my head (so it can be seen from 360 degrees), then I'd get the concealed charge. What an idiot?

    If I had the money, I'd go buy three other pistols and wear them at 3, 6, 9 and 12...

    They even seized my carry gun (a Smith 4006, yeah, conceal that!) until my court date at the earliest...?
    How far do you plan to take this?

  24. #24
    mattwestm
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    Which shop? D&L, or adventure outfitters?

    I've always thought that D&L was a bit high, but AO prices are very fair, and sometimes cheaper than elsewhere
    I went into D&L one time and I felt like they didn't take me seriously or something. I haven't been back since. However, Adventure Outfitters is wonderful. I love talking to the staff. I buy my ammo from there sometimes. Even if a box of ammo is $5 cheaper online, with shipping it equals the local price. For large purchases, I buy online though. I thought about buying my XD from AO, but they wanted over $500. I got it in Raleigh at Eagle 1 for $420 with tax and everything. I've bought all of my other guns from Dick's Sporting Goods in Raleigh or gunbroker. Village Pawn is a good FFL, charging only $25.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cameron NC, , USA
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    How far do you plan to take this?
    Depends how far I can take it. I sent Mr. Pierce an email to see if he was interested but he hasn't sent me anything back.. yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •