• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DWI Roadblock in Washington...

Dreamer

I was getting my lunch packed this evening for tomorrow morning, and I realized that I was out of soda, so I decided to run over to WalMart late tonight (around 1am). Of course, I was OCing my Para, but it's sort of chilly tonight, so I put on a jacket, and hopped in the car.

As I'm coming into the city limits, I notice a BUNCH of flashing blues in the road, and there was a big construction floodlight in the middle of the road. I guess because it's Halloween, they have DWI checkpoints up. So I pull out y DL and CHP (because I'm wearing it, under a coat, with a seatbelt on) and roll down my window as I come to a stop.

Officer looks at my cards, as I am informing him that I'm carrying. He says "yeah, I kind of figured...", hands me back my cards and waves me through...

I do my shopping, and start home, and of course, I have to pass through the roadblock again...

A different officer is standing on the westbound lanes, and so I go through the same drill--cars in hand, window down, roll to a stop. He pulls out his flashlight, and goes around to the FRONT of my car (where I have the "novelty plate" that says "OPEN CARRY"), then comes to my window. I hand him my cards and inform him that I'm carrying.

He says, "yeah, I thought you probably were... Nice license plate you've got on the front." he says with a grin as he hands me back my cards, and waves me through...

So this just confirms my previous experience that at least in Washington, the local "boys in blue" have no issue at all with open carry, and actually approve of it...

I can only imagine how this might have gone down differently in Greenville, Raleigh or Jacksonville...

Or (heaven forbid) Maryland... (shudder...)

rotorhead

Sweet deal.

I find that the Fayetteville area is just as accommodating. I'm sure there's a negative situation with my name on it somewhere out there in the future some time, but so far it's been rather enjoyable.

M

mattwestm

I think Raleigh or Durham would probably be the worst in the state. Asheville might be pretty bad too. That city tends to be pretty liberal. Greenville cops might be a bit jumpy because of the shootings here and immature college students. I'm glad you didn't have any issues.

sultan62

I've done a very small amount of carry in Greenville and Asheville, with slightly more in Raleigh, all without issue.

Dreamer

I've done a very small amount of carry in Greenville and Asheville, with slightly more in Raleigh, all without issue.

Yeah, when I was in Asheville this summer, I took my German nephew to the range, and then we went for lunch at a fast-food joint, and I was OCing the entire time, with no issues at all.

I was pleasantly surprised, given the liberal/hippy reputation that Asheville has...

acritical

Ok, so why is Raleigh getting a bad rap on this issue? I have been open carrying in Raleigh for years and have never once had an issue with LEO while doing so. To the contrary, actually had a decent and positive conversation with a couple of them, while open carrying.

I have noticed that if you go into the situation like you are doing nothing wrong or any different than anyone else, they tend to not have any concerns. However, if you act nervous or over-anxious about something, then you get treated as such. Of course that goes with the fact that your incident is not due to someone calling the police about the whole "man with a gun" concern.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I lived in Raleigh for 18 years and while the cops there were pretty cool about stuff, some of the citizens probably are not. It's mainly about location in the state and transplants. I think people east of I-95 are going to be more laid back about OC and guns in general than some people in Raleigh. The Raleigh area has a lot of transplants from other states. They may not be used to seeing someone open carrying a handgun. I'd probably have a greater chance of a soccer mom calling the police on me in Raleigh than in Eastern NC. That being said, I've OC'd in Raleigh plenty of times and I've never had any issues. I used to shoot at Eagle 1 and it's always filled with LEOs and none of them even blink an eye to OC.

sultan62

I've only been to Eagle One once, and I liked it much better than my usual PDHSC. It's worth the extra drive IMO.

Dreamer, what range did you go to in Asheville? Also, was it also a gun shop and do they rent?

Dreamer

Dreamer, what range did you go to in Asheville? Also, was it also a gun shop and do they rent?

On Target was the range name.

Yes it is also a gun shop.

And yes, they rent, and have a pretty good selection of handguns for rental. They even had 3 different Para's in the rental case...

sultan62

On Target was the range name.

Yes it is also a gun shop.

And yes, they rent, and have a pretty good selection of handguns for rental. They even had 3 different Para's in the rental case...

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

calynn

Whatever you do, watch your back in Aberdeen (Moore County) - OCing here will get you a carrying a concealed weapon charge, I got one Friday.. no joke. Too bad the Senior Investigator told my arresting officer that he should really reconsider the charge, and that he would be more than happy to be subpoenaed on my behalf :D

rdinatal

Whatever you do, watch your back in Aberdeen (Moore County) - OCing here will get you a carrying a concealed weapon charge, I got one Friday.. no joke. Too bad the Senior Investigator told my arresting officer that he should really reconsider the charge, and that he would be more than happy to be subpoenaed on my behalf :D

I can hear it now...

So officer, what did you have to move to see the weapon?

-R

XDUser

Sweet deal.

I find that the Fayetteville area is just as accommodating. I'm sure there's a negative situation with my name on it somewhere out there in the future some time, but so far it's been rather enjoyable.

I just moved to Fayetteville and have already been approached more times then the previous two years I lived in VA.
So far nothing negative and everyone was curious and polite.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

It's nice that they respected your 2A rights while trampling your 4th and 5th.

Thats what I am talking about, but take it a step further, the fact that the gentleman that posted offered his "permission card" actualy means he was not excercising a right.

It is not for everyone but when I go through a DUI checkpoint. I Say, "I do not consent"

COMMANDER1911

Thats what I am talking about, but take it a step further, the fact that the gentleman that posted offered his "permission card" actualy means he was not excercising a right.

It is not for everyone but when I go through a DUI checkpoint. I Say, "I do not consent"

North Carolina is a must inform state. As wrong as it may be, they can haul you in to jail on a CW charge if you don't notify the officer immediately.

M

mattwestm

Great group of guys and they allow shot gun for $5 (not many indoor ranges do) but the lanes are a bit dark. IMO

I really like their customer service and prices. I bought my XD-9 there. When I lived in Raleigh, that's the only place I would shoot at. I think they are trying to open an ourdoor range somewhere? The only problem is sometimes they don't have the greatest selection, but their main market is defense/LE weapons. They never seem to carry anything besides ARs, tactical shotguns, and the occasional Remington 700 or similar.

I like my local shop in Winterville, but I have yet to buy any guns from them. Their prices are a bit high...

elixin77

Which shop? D&L, or adventure outfitters?

I've always thought that D&L was a bit high, but AO prices are very fair, and sometimes cheaper than elsewhere